Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM

251 posts, read 307,451 times

Advertisements

SF
Philly
Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
Left my heart in this place. I knew before the trip that San Francisco was in a league of it's very own out west (CA, WA, OR, NV, AZ, CO, TX, NM, UT) but this time solidified it all. Had the time of my life in San Francisco, ironically the first time of many times I've been to the city with 5 other friends accompanying me. So that definitely amplified it.

I would upload my pictures but I don't really feel like taking the memory card out of my camera and I definitely don't feel like converting pictures from my phone, so this camera reel of a few pictures altogether will do to get the idea across.

Pictures from the Twin Peaks in San Francisco at night, overlooking the city, it's quite the spectacle to see at night and especially in the evening when the entire city glows. The other pictures are from Big Sur and around the Bay Area.

I was thoroughly impressed with both Oakland and San Jose as well, Downtown Oakland looks like the best it's ever been. I saw a lot of brand new apartments in downtown, which is magnificent. San Jose's downtown has declined since the last time I saw it, a part of it seems to have fallen to Vietnamese gangs but the city as a whole and at least a few large segments of it's downtown are still thriving, the best it's ever been actually.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-05-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
The Bay Area is the most overrated city in the country. Pretty on the outside, but ugly on the inside. I've never been to Boston, but I've heard it's similar in attitude to SF, which is a turn off to me. However, I'll withhold judgment until I visit.

Philly ain't perfect, but I much prefer it to SF.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I dont mean that but you cant really think San Francisco would be the same if the revolution didnt occur when it did? San Francisco barely has any US history- Nancy Pelosi becoming house speaker and Chinese immigration dont count, sorry to break it to you
I don't like SF, but this post is ignorant. SF has plenty of history. Gold rush, anyone?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM

283 posts, read 463,279 times
As much as I'd love to say Philly.... I'd say the order is:
1) SF
2) Boston
3) Philly
They're all important. The Bay Area is the best at technology, Boston is best at higher education (and arguably pharmaceuticals and life sciences), and Philly is strong in manufacturing, and competes well with Boston in higher education, pharmaceuticals, and life sciences. I love Philly, but it's not the clear leader in any field, like SF and Boston are. NYC has banking, DC has politics... Chicago is like Philly, in that it's gotta little bit of everything.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM

401 posts, read 551,487 times
Having spent time in the Bay Area + Boston and have lived in Philly for a certain amount of years I would rate it as the following:

1. Bay Area- outside Oakland and SF, the suburbia is quite spread out. Very scenic views on drives. This would even compete with the Greater New York area to be honest especially if you are trying to settle in suburbia.

2. Philadelphia- it's definitely a vibrant city. It feels very gritty. Even in good areas such as Chinatown provides a great feeling of grit especially. As long as you don't wander off to far into a ghetto/bad neighborhood, you will be fine.

3. Boston- To me Boston is just a much bigger Washington D.C. It is a fantastic college town. It is not really my type of area/location but it is probably the safest out of this list. Although, I would say #2 and #3 on my list are interchangeable. I just like Philadelphia because to me it is uniquely vibrant but still gives a gritty sense. But on most people's list I would assume this is #2.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,076 times
Bay Area- Best weather, saftey, economy
Boston- A smaller, colder, safer version of Philly. Being Coastal gives it the edge.
Philly- Unpredictable weather, CC is a top 3 downtown. The surrounding areas host a considerable amount of urban decay and are very dangerous.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 AM

401 posts, read 551,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Boston- A smaller, colder, safer version of Philly. Being Coastal gives it the edge.
Philly- Unpredictable weather, CC is a top 3 downtown. The surrounding areas host a considerable amount of urban decay and are very dangerous.
West Philly isn't that dangerous. North Philly on the other hand....

Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Surrounding areas dangerous? Not really true anymore. South Philly is almost completely gentrified or gentrifying. West Philly has University City across from Center City and then beautiful Victorian neighborhoods around that until you reach rougher areas. North Philly neighborhoods bordering Center City tend to be beautiful or are currently gentrifying. You don't really hit rough areas anymore until you hit Temple University about two miles from Center City. The core of the city has definitely changed drastically in the past 10 years. Most would be unrecongnizable to those who haven't been here in 5 years.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,232,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Philly is strong in manufacturing
Of all three metro areas, Philly actually has the smallest amount of people employed in the manufacturing industry.

Manufacturing jobs as of 2013:

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA (Combined Statistical Area) - 363,896
Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT (Combined Statistical Area) - 333,949
Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD (Combined Statistical Area) - 236,752

source: http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm...090=70&7033=-1

As for danger levels of the three metros...I can't find violent crime stats for all three CSAs, but here are MSA murder rates from 2011:

Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 8.1
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA - 6.0
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA - 3.3
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH - 2.8

I could only find a list for the largest MSAs, so no numbers for the smaller MSAs that make up the rest of each CSA. All three have bad parts and nice parts of course, but it seems like the Boston metro area probably has the least amount of the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City