U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 200 50.25%
North Carolina 198 49.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,460,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
North Carolinian cities are bland and boring (ie: Raliegh, Durham, Greensboro, Fayetteville, etc).
Durham and Fayettenam are bland and boring. Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Wilmington, and Charlotte are all cool cities with a lot to offer. I'd live in any of them.

The only city in Virginia that I like, that I've been to, is Charlottesville. DC Suburbs are hell on earth. Norfolk/Williamsburg/VA Beach are not places I like, but I have spent little time there. I would certainly not live in Richmond. I've never been to Roanoke. That may be a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM

694 posts, read 1,983,384 times
I think Virginia cities have more variety to them. There is a drastic change in the feeling of Richmond to Charlottesville to the Hampton Roads cities to the Northern Virginia cities.

The major North Carolina cities just feel sorta the same to me.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I think Virginia cities have more variety to them. There is a drastic change in the feeling of Richmond to Charlottesville to the Hampton Roads cities to the Northern Virginia cities.

The major North Carolina cities just feel sorta the same to me.
I suppose that's because NC is a big state, and it is difficult to get a feel for them all. The same could be said about Virginia.

For example, do you not think there is an equally drastic change in the feeling of the fishing towns of the outer banks, to historic coastal Wilmington, to modern, sprawled Charlotte, to the little mountain towns and Asheville?

I'm from SC, I live in NC, and my only brother lives in VA. I see the exact same transition in all three states, from upland to lowland. The Virginia tidewater area has more in common with down east North Carolina and the South Carolina lowcountry than it does with Blacksburg or Charlottesville. Likewise, Charlottesville has more in common with a little foothill town like Boone than it does with Norfolk.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I suppose that's because NC is a big state, and it is difficult to get a feel for them all. The same could be said about Virginia.

For example, do you not think there is an equally drastic change in the feeling of the fishing towns of the outer banks, to historic coastal Wilmington, to modern, sprawled Charlotte, to the little mountain towns and Asheville?

I'm from SC, I live in NC, and my only brother lives in VA. I see the exact same transition in all three states, from upland to lowland.
True, but I was talking about major cities. Of course coastal, quaint villages will differ from large metropolitans. The Charlotte area just seemed very similar to Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Cary/Durham.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
True, but I was talking about major cities. Of course coastal, quaint villages will differ from large metropolitans. The Charlotte area just seemed very similar to Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Cary/Durham.
Ha, well, if you only include major cities, then you can't include most of the Virginia hills, including Charlottesville. In that case, Virginia really would be pretty uniform.

You're correct that Charlotte's sprawl looks a lot like the Triangle's sprawl. But what about Wilmington, Asheville, and Charlotte? Would you not agree that those are three very different metro areas? Very different cities?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Ha, well, if you only include major cities, then you can't include most of the Virginia hills, including Charlottesville. In that case, Virginia really would be pretty uniform.
I wouldn't say necessarily say that. Both states have 3 major metro areas. Virginia has Northern Virginia, Richmond, Norfolk-Virginia Beach. Each are drastically different from each other.

North Carolina's 3 major areas are Charlotte, Research Triangle (Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham), and Greensboro-Winston-Salem. They do have their differences, but not as overt as the 3 Virginia areas.

I can't really comment on Wilmington and Asheville, I've never been there before.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say necessarily say that. Both states have 3 major metro areas. Virginia has Northern Virginia, Richmond, Norfolk-Virginia Beach. Each are drastically different from each other.

North Carolina's 3 major areas are Charlotte, Research Triangle (Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham), and Greensboro-Winston-Salem. They do have their differences, but not as overt as the 3 Virginia areas.

I can't really comment on Wilmington and Asheville, I've never been there before.
It seems like you're using criteria which inherently favor Virginia's geography, which weren't a part of the OP. I'd prefer to not get into a discussion about which MSAs and CSAs are "major" enough to meet your personal criteria, and just assume that you've not visited some of the more unique cities in North Carolina. Likewise, you can assume that I don't know much about some of Virginia's more unique places.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It seems like you're using criteria which inherently favor Virginia's geography, which weren't a part of the OP. I'd prefer to not get into a discussion about which MSAs and CSAs are "major" enough to meet your personal criteria, and just assume that you've not visited some of the more unique cities in North Carolina. Likewise, you can assume that I don't know much about some of Virginia's more unique places.
Which criteria are you referring to, size? When most people outside of North Carolina think of North Carolina cities, do they not think of those? And the same with Virginia?

I mean, I love the Outer Banks in North Carolina (so much better than anything Virginia has to offer), but it's not what I think of first when I think of North Carolina.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It seems like you're using criteria which inherently favor Virginia's geography, which weren't a part of the OP.
And why am I trying to use criteria that favors Virginia in any way? I never said that Virginia cities are better than North Carolina's. I just see them as more varied, which could be both bad and good. Like the crime and poverty in some Virginia cities that others have already posted.

Don't worry, I love your North Carolina .

Old 02-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Which criteria are you referring to, size?
Yes, for example, when you limit it to "major metro areas", you're only going to include the "Piedmont Crescent" of North Carolina, which is the triangle, the triad, and charlotte. All those cities are similar, moreso than Virginia's major metro areas - I agree with that point you made.

But when you include small and mid-sized metros (which certainly qualify as "cities"), then you're bringing up Asheville and Wilmington, which IMO are the state's best and most unique cities. The OBX, I agree, don't count here.

See, isn't it simple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or