U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 200 50.25%
North Carolina 198 49.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 PM

29 posts, read 45,784 times

Advertisements

ok lets agree to disagree thanks for being polite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times
No problem; no need to stop being cordial.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 PM

6,484 posts, read 16,097,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyporsche View Post
U are obviously from va... maps of the us dont even consider va the south, its mid atlantic... , u go to georgia or sc and they condsider va a yankee state... look at nova.. lol
What makes Georgians or South Carolinians the authority on Virginia's identity? I think if a majority of Virginians say they're southern, who's to say they're not??

Spanish moss is not a requirement. Inland areas of ALL southern states lack Spanish moss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

Virginia Beach Spanish Moss...

Tillandsia usneoides on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36838058@N03/3699681700/ - broken link)
That's not Virginia Beach. 1., there's too much Spanish moss for it to be Va Beach. I've seen some Spanish moss in VB, but it's very sparse and hard to find. 2., there's a palm tree, 3., the caption says it was taken in "Marion County" which, wherever that is, is not in Va Beach.

Your points are correct, though. Virginia has these things (even though they're not prerequisites for being southern anyway).

Old 05-20-2010, 03:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
So Virginia being/not being Southern has what to do with its cities being better?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,227,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

That's not Virginia Beach. 1., there's too much Spanish moss for it to be Va Beach. I've seen some Spanish moss in VB, but it's very sparse and hard to find. 2., there's a palm tree, 3., the caption says it was taken in "Marion County" which, wherever that is, is not in Va Beach.

Your points are correct, though. Virginia has these things (even though they're not prerequisites for being southern anyway).
Ok, my apoligies if it isn't VA Beach - the information on flickr said that it was...but I've seen that much moss in the Tidewater area on several occasions.

I definitely agree that moss and cotton don't define the South, but my post was in response to one that claimed that they do define it - and that Virginia had none of either.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 PM

160 posts, read 139,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So Virginia being/not being Southern has what to do with its cities being better?
We in NOVA don't consider ourselves southern. VA is more southern-lite. I'd call VA Mid-Atlantic since our "deep south friends" don't like to group us in with the rest of the southern states. But any state that fought for slavery and was under the Mason-Dixon line is "southern" in my defintion. Even parts of Maryland are southern-lite. Just go to the eastern shore.

But anyway, VA cities are better. Especially us in the DC suburbs. We have the nation's capital and nothing in NC can compare to that.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
But anyway, VA cities are better. Especially us in the DC suburbs. We have the nation's capital and nothing in NC can compare to that.
The nation's capital isn't in VA. It's in the District of Columbia. For the purposes of this argument, since it is about the cities in each state, NoVA counts but the District itself is a separate entity.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,745,740 times
North Carolina.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:17 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,227,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
We in NOVA don't consider ourselves southern. VA is more southern-lite. I'd call VA Mid-Atlantic since our "deep south friends" don't like to group us in with the rest of the southern states. But any state that fought for slavery and was under the Mason-Dixon line is "southern" in my defintion. Even parts of Maryland are southern-lite. Just go to the eastern shore.

Don't ya just love people who feel the need to speak for everyone?

Your "deep south friends" in the "rest of the southern states" have no problem including Virginia in the South (see, I can do it too!). The problem seems to be that some in Virginia are strangely adamant and defensive about not being southern. It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of in 2010.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
I still don't get the discussion of whether or not VA is Southern matters to the debate of whether or not its cities are better. Unless we say that southern cities aren't that good, then I see. But, I think the fact that NC cities aren't dependent on another city for their prominence says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or