Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundy0621 View Post
NC Its probably a great place to raise a family, be able to afford a nice house/apt, shop, church, go to college IMO, but it lacks things you might otherwise want. Major lacking: no central geographical features (waterways, natural lakes). Not centralized. Very very spread out.and boring..... BBQ ALL THE TIME
I suppose you think that if you simply keep repeating yourself, people will believe you.

My earlier response still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansascrip View Post
Ottawa Senators?

I say VA, because I HATE the Carolina Panthers, if we don't count professional I even hate all the NC college teams my god I hate all of the NC teams minus the Hurricanes...kthanksbai
Oh yeah, our college sports are better too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, in that case, 0 for VA cities. Another goal for NC.
Personally that's a big plus for VA in my book.. it's amazing how much money people are willing to throw away on generic pro team tickets and merchandise that offer nothing more than overpaid athletes, a stadium that takes up several blocks of a City, giant parking decks, and a distraction from having to creater more unique means of recreation. The day Richmond gets a pro-team (which won't happen anytime soon) is the day it starts losing it's character and DIY mentality. This is just my opinion of course... for whatever reason many people seem frustrated or slighted that we don't have a pro team but I don't think we're missing out on anything.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
I feel you. As I've stated before, NC has been primarily a yeoman farm state up until the mid 20th century. During this time the urban growth has been mostly in the Piedmont. The mountains and coast remain rural, Wilmington the exception. But when drive around the country side of NC you realize the true beauty of the state.

But this thread is about cities, and I can see how VA would have the development edge. Most of the NC cities, Charlotte and Raleigh included, still have rural development on the perimeter. NC has traiditionally relied on the big 3 industries until the mid 70s. These big 3 are textiles, tobacco, and furniture. Their declince needs no explanation and since then the focus has been on banking/finance industries, higher ed, high tech, pharmaceuticals, and food processing.

Whereas VA developed long before then. Compare Richmond to Charlotte. Charlotte presently easily has the banking advantage, but Richmond has the Federal Reserve bank and Charlotte only has a branch. If the development had been sooner in Charlotte, I think no doubt Charlotte would have got the bank and not Richmond.
Good bit of history here. I think you've described it well.

On thing on the banking note, Richmond was a very valuable city during the Great Depression, as Richmond banks were very stable due to strong/conservative regulations. The reason Charlotte has become so attractive is partly because of its lax regulations on banking/loans, etc. So, I don't doubt you're right that Charlotte would have gotten the FR if it had gotten going earlier. However, one could argue that Richmond's conservative management of the banking industry is now showing its value as more aggressive (some might argue irresponsible) tactics around the country are proving dangerous.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good bit of history here. I think you've described it well.

On thing on the banking note, Richmond was a very valuable city during the Great Depression, as Richmond banks were very stable due to strong/conservative regulations. The reason Charlotte has become so attractive is partly because of its lax regulations on banking/loans, etc. So, I don't doubt you're right that Charlotte would have gotten the FR if it had gotten going earlier. However, one could argue that Richmond's conservative management of the banking industry is now showing its value as more aggressive (some might argue irresponsible) tactics around the country are proving dangerous.
I don't doubt your reasoning. The banking industry in NC has always been a sort of laissez-fare. which is why you will see Charlotte and Winston-Salem as two of the top banking centers in the nation. But Richmond being established early was definitely a plus for it. Nothing but love for the VA cities... but NCs are better.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Personally that's a big plus for VA in my book.. it's amazing how much money people are willing to throw away on generic pro team tickets and merchandise that offer nothing more than overpaid athletes, a stadium that takes up several blocks of a City, giant parking decks, and a distraction from having to creater more unique means of recreation. The day Richmond gets a pro-team (which won't happen anytime soon) is the day it starts losing it's character and DIY mentality. This is just my opinion of course... for whatever reason many people seem frustrated or slighted that we don't have a pro team but I don't think we're missing out on anything.
I see what you're saying and glad you realize its your opinion, but pro sports teams bring money and advertise the city. It's definitely a plus, and I loved the generic comment.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
North Carolina for sure, economically fit state. Raleigh is one of the most impressive cities economically right now, at least for me. And Charlotte is larger than any single city in Virginia. I do like standalone type cities like Charlotte. NoVa is nice but its dependent on Washington DC.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
North Carolina for sure, economically fit state. Raleigh is one of the most impressive cities economically right now, at least for me. And Charlotte is larger than any single city in Virginia. I do like standalone type cities like Charlotte. NoVa is nice but its dependent on Washington DC.
What about Richmond? Richmond is real nice city, actually one of my favorite cities and one I feel is underrated. I would take the city of Richmond over the city of Raleigh any day of the week. But the Triangle, IMO, as a whole is better.

Not that I disagree with anything that you said. Stand alone cities do offer an immense amount of ammenities, I guess because they have to offer so much. The biggest stand alone city metro, IMO, is Chicago. But that's a side note in this thread. Most multinodal metros seem to be more influential and successful. In this thread NoVa, Hampton Roads, Triad, and Triangle vs Charlotte, Richmond, and Roanoke.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What about Richmond? Richmond is real nice city, actually one of my favorite cities and one I feel is underrated. I would take the city of Richmond over the city of Raleigh any day of the week. But the Triangle, IMO, as a whole is better.
Agreed. I do wish our urban fabric somewhat resembled Richmond's.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Northern Virginia alone is better than any city of NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City