U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 200 50.25%
North Carolina 198 49.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,291,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas23 View Post
Northern Virginia alone is better than any city of NC
NoVA has a lot of jobs and shopping, but outside of Alexandria and Ballston (relatively small areas), it's a huge sprawling mess--worse than Charlotte and the Triangle put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,258 times
I have lived in both VA and NC. I'm a native NJ, VA and I currently live in VA right on the border of NC. If I had to choose between the 2 I would pick VA. NC people are polite, but that can only get you so far. Polite when you walk into a store is a good thing, but when someone says 'hi, how are you?' I usually respond with ' great!, how are you?' not realizing that they only asked me that to be 'polite' with no actual interest in my answer was very disheartening. I have found that here in HR I meet people that are actually friendly and nice. My daughter has also met people here that are much more pleasant

Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

53 posts, read 156,875 times
va .........

Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundy0621 View Post
va .........
We heard you the last nine times. If you're going to bump the thread back up, it would be nice to at least contribute something of substance to the discussion.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,031,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
NoVA has a lot of jobs and shopping, but outside of Alexandria and Ballston (relatively small areas), it's a huge sprawling mess--worse than Charlotte and the Triangle put together.
I do have to agree about NoVa. It is indeed a very nice area but it definnitely reminds me of the Triangle...on steroids. The sprawl is everywhere.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,306,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I don't doubt your reasoning. The banking industry in NC has always been a sort of laissez-fare. which is why you will see Charlotte and Winston-Salem as two of the top banking centers in the nation. But Richmond being established early was definitely a plus for it. Nothing but love for the VA cities... but NCs are better.
I'll have to continue to disagree with you on this I'm not a fan of the layout and vibe of the sunbelt cities. Because of its age, Richmond is a very cool town (good, gritty layout, and pretty urban for its size) and it's close to a lot of things. In fact, one of my largest issues with NC is that it's kind of isolated. I mean, Atlanta isn't too far, but it's still a hike from most major cities in NC. Virginia has DC right on the border, with Baltimore and the rest of the NE Corridor right there.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,031,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'll have to continue to disagree with you on this I'm not a fan of the layout and vibe of the sunbelt cities. Because of its age, Richmond is a very cool town (good, gritty layout, and pretty urban for its size) and it's close to a lot of things. In fact, one of my largest issues with NC is that it's kind of isolated. I mean, Atlanta isn't too far, but it's still a hike from most major cities in NC. Virginia has DC right on the border, with Baltimore and the rest of the NE Corridor right there.
Of course you disagree. But that's okay, I forgive you. LOL. I wouldn't say NC is all that isolated. In fact the location is what has made NC so great of state. It's midway between the NE corridor and FL. Being close to ATL has also function in NCs favor. In order to understand this, you'd have to understand the impact ATL has on the southeast. To save a long a post, just take my word for it.

But just as you don't like the layout of sunbelt cities, I personally don't like that gritty look of NE cities. That's not a bash, just different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion...even if it's wrong. LOL!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
In fact, one of my largest issues with NC is that it's kind of isolated. I mean, Atlanta isn't too far, but it's still a hike from most major cities in NC. Virginia has DC right on the border, with Baltimore and the rest of the NE Corridor right there.
The only metro in NC that I would say is somewhat isolated is Wilmington. Asheville and Charlotte have relatively close proximity to Atlanta (Charlotte is only 3 hrs away), the Triad is more or less equidistant to Atlanta and DC, and the Triangle is relatively close to DC. What I like about Charlotte in particular is that day trips or weekend getaways are very easy to do from here, whether you're talking about Atlanta, Charleston, the mountains, the beaches, or smaller cities in the Carolinas with their own offerings (the zoo in Columbia, homecomings in the Triad, etc.).

Also, as far as the layout of Sunbelt cities that you tend not to like, NC has its smaller cities and towns that offer a more urban, gritty experience like Asheville, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, and New Bern.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,990 times
I have traveled to every major city in NC and outside Winston-Salem, didn't find much that appealed to me. I very much like the skyline of Charlotte! It has some of the nicest skyscrapers in my opinion, but it took me literally minutes to explore the main part of the downtown area. Same with Raleigh and Greensboro. Not much density, or urban grit, or much historical architecture woven into the fabric of the cities; which every city in Virginia does have. Roanoke is the only one that does not meet my criteria, for the size city it is. Norfolk unfortunately bulldozed its entire downown in the 60's thanks to urban renewal efforts; it could have been a coastal Pittsburgh. But even Norfolk is still very dense and has historical neighborhoods and a few streets downtown that survived urban renewal. Overall, I just prefer Virginia cities. If all the big cities in NC were like New Bern, just big, then NC would be my obvious choice. Some people, like me, prefer density, historic architecture, and urban grit. Others like a more spacious grid, newer buildings, and clean modern looking cities. It is impossible to declare which is better, because so many people like many different things. It does not make one place better than the other.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft View Post
Not much density, or urban grit, or much historical architecture woven into the fabric of the cities; which every city in Virginia does have. Roanoke is the only one that does not meet my criteria, for the size city it is.
You have GOT to be kidding me. Virginia's largest cities are Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Richmond, Newport News, Hampton, Alexandria, Portsmouth, and Roanoke. Of those, the only ones that can truly be said to be dense with urban grit are Richmond, Alexandria, and Norfolk (although Norfolk's urban renewal would put Charlotte's to shame). And again, although it's a region and not any one city, the sprawl in NoVA (eg, Tysons Corner) has nothing on NC's sprawl.

And I can't believe that you didn't like Wilmington or Asheville. They have nice urban cores with that grit you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or