U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 200 50.25%
North Carolina 198 49.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I like Virginia cities better because it seems like in NC's bigger cities they are so spread out like all they did was anex to get bigger just look at the density levels of VA cities compared to NC cities minus VA Beach lol.
It was like VA Beach wrote the book on annexing ones way to visibility.

The county/city dynamic is much different in VA than it is in NC. One might even say that the totally separate systems in VA are based on racism since they allowed white flight to leave cities like Richmond to fend for themselves while county communities adjacent to them thrived. Maybe the cities will get the last laugh now that the trend is to move back into urban cores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

149 posts, read 214,635 times
north carolina and virginia are culturally similar. both are pretty much a mix of both midatlantic and the south. fayetteville is like hampton roads with the military influence and being 1hour away from the capital. both nc and va are both under the influence of dc. i dont think people realize how similar the states are. raliegh is closer to richmond, va than it is to charlotte, nc. im live in hampton roads im about 1hr and a half and the main part of hampton roads which is the south side is closer to north carolina. i mean northeast nc is pretty much hampton roads.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Nova

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM

342 posts, read 465,351 times
charlotte is superior to anything else in the 2 states (i'm not counting DC) but overall i like virginias cities better.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
True, but I was talking about major cities. Of course coastal, quaint villages will differ from large metropolitans. The Charlotte area just seemed very similar to Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Cary/Durham.
My mouth dropped open! How long did you stay in either city? Bite your tongue and I will further say you better not stand in either city and make that statement about the other if you want to live. Wow!

Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,806,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
north carolina and virginia are culturally similar. both are pretty much a mix of both midatlantic and the south. fayetteville is like hampton roads with the military influence and being 1hour away from the capital. both nc and va are both under the influence of dc. i dont think people realize how similar the states are. raliegh is closer to richmond, va than it is to charlotte, nc. im live in hampton roads im about 1hr and a half and the main part of hampton roads which is the south side is closer to north carolina. i mean northeast nc is pretty much hampton roads.
The bolder statement I would have to disagree. You could argue Atlanta has more influence than DC. I'm sure the Triangle folks will disagree while the Triad and Charlotte folks may see the similarities. Perhaps to be fair we'll say DC and Atlanta have equal pull. Although their are probably more Braves fans in Raleigh than Nationals.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,344,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The bolder statement I would have to disagree. You could argue Atlanta has more influence than DC. I'm sure the Triangle folks will disagree while the Triad and Charlotte folks may see the similarities. Perhaps to be fair we'll say DC and Atlanta have equal pull. Although their are probably more Braves fans in Raleigh than Nationals.
Let's be honest there are probably more Yankees fans than either in Raleigh...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,026,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It was like VA Beach wrote the book on annexing ones way to visibility.
I realize this is a million-year-old post, but this isn't true at all. All that happened was a county voted to consolidate itself into a single city. There was no annexing at all.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Raleigh would definitely fall under the influence of DC, and Charlotte would fall under the influence of Atlanta. DC is like the one "big city" most people in Raleigh have visited, only four hours north. The Triad is right in the middle. As for Raleigh, people pulled for the Washington Redskins in this area before the Panthers came to town. North Carolina in general is probably Atlanta Braves country over the Nationals, though.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM

73 posts, read 79,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayNapi View Post
I also find North Carolinin cities boring...
Couldn't agree more. Raleigh is decent, certainly better than Charlotte Town Center and its chain restaurants and suburban style apartment complexes. I do like Asheville, Wilmington, and Boone, but that's about it.

Richmond blows away anything in NC, tho, thats for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or