Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
But when I said that, you kept saying "influence(s)"---plural.
Uh, no I didn't or I was using it as a verb, not as a noun in the plural.

Quote:
When I asked for examples, you regurgitate what I've already said, that there is nothing else besides its the nearest big city. If there is no further influence, you've made my case...

I'm not bent out of shape. I think I was clear in where I was coming from. When I questioned your position, because you insinuated some "other influence" was "at work", you come back and say the same thing I've been saying all along...
I never "insinuated some 'other influence' was 'at work'" and I was very clear about what I meant in post #355. What in the world are you talking about? Seems like you're just trying to pick a fight for no reason and for the life of me, I have no clue why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:40 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are different types and levels of influence at work in contexts like these.

I never "insinuated some 'other influence' was 'at work'"
You didn't say this?

Whatever dog, I don't want a fight. This isn't that serious to me. Apparently we just coming from two different points to make the same conclusion, I'm cool with it...

Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You didn't say this?
You misunderstood me; my point was that a very large metro area exerts its influence in different ways and at different levels within its region. A city like Richmond, being closer to DC, will obviously be influenced at a greater level than Raleigh, which is farther away. Hampton Roads has a different level of influence given the strong military/defense industry present there. And so on and so forth.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Could you expound on this? Aside from DC being the nation's capital and epicenter for the military-industrial complex (which of course has a huge presence in the Tidewater as well) I'm having trouble seeing it.

This is admittedly anecdotal, but the only time I've ever heard DC people claim the Tidewater area as part of the "DMV" (I hate that acronym with a passion btw) was when that one female gymnast from VA Beach (I think?) was getting notice during one of the recent Olympics.
Must've been the local media. They think the Baltimore area is part of the DMV (I always get a chuckle out of that perception lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City