Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 AM

542 posts, read 1,495,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I believe VA is much more similar to NC than MD.
I actually think all 3 states are quite similar, but I'd say most of Virginia is more similar to Maryland -- Tidewater in particular. With a few exceptions, history, dialects/accents, economy, climate, etc. are nearly identical between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM

386 posts, read 983,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I actually think all 3 states are quite similar, but I'd say most of Virginia is more similar to Maryland -- Tidewater in particular. With a few exceptions, history, dialects/accents, economy, climate, etc. are nearly identical between the two.
I agree that Tidewater is more similar to Maryland and NOVA, but I think that Richmond and pretty much any other area south or west of that is much more similar to North Carolina. Somebody from Lynchburg VA will not talk similar to people from Maryland. The overall lifestyle is more similar to NC than the faster pace of MD. Also many areas south and west of richmond have a lower cost of living. It's funny you mentioned Tidewater because many older residents from Tidewater VA sound kinda similar to older residents from Baltimore. I also agree that VA,MD,NC are fairly similar with each state below the others having more southern culture today.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,278,968 times
I do agree that the tidewater area is way different than anything in NC. I guess the outer banks may be an exception but it could be the close proximity that that region has to the tidewater. Richmond and Raleigh to me are actually quite similiar though Richmond is more urban.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,495,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I agree that Tidewater is more similar to Maryland and NOVA, but I think that Richmond and pretty much any other area south or west of that is much more similar to North Carolina. Somebody from Lynchburg VA will not talk similar to people from Maryland. The overall lifestyle is more similar to NC than the faster pace of MD. Also many areas south and west of richmond have a lower cost of living. It's funny you mentioned Tidewater because many older residents from Tidewater VA sound kinda similar to older residents from Baltimore. I also agree that VA,MD,NC are fairly similar with each state below the others having more southern culture today.
I agree with you. But outside of the 95 corridor in Maryland, it doesn't become fast-paced. I hope it stays that way, and that the state can retain some of its Southern culture in these areas. But yea, I'd say that the area down 95 down to Richmond, and then down to Tidewater, across 64 to Charlottesville, and up 81 to the far western fringes of the DC metro has more in common with Maryland & DC. And something all 3 states have in common(MD, VA, NC) is that tobacco used to be their cash crop, and are still identifiable as symbols of the states today.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,769,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
It's a perception issue for VA being southern or not. Its role in the civil war is undeniable, but to me and many others here it's ancient history. There are more traditional southeren areas along the border of NC, and anywhere between the Rappahannock river and the James River is kind of a transitional zone to me. Coming from farther northern states, VA is very southern, but believe me to someone from the deep south, VA is not southern anymore. I broke down in GA once and as soon as the tow truck driver learned I was from VA it got real cold real fast. And I have had some native Floridians refer to me as a yankee. Both of these caught me off guard. I thought it was funny though. I think VA is more accurately mid-atlantic since it is a meeting point for north and south, and also geographically it is mid-atlantic.
Those were obviously country folks that you ran into in GA and FL and not at all representative of people thoughout those states. Virginia has it's share of country folks too...and it's just as southern as anywhere else in the South - and I'm in Georgia! Wow!

I have some news for you - the Civil War is ancient history to most of us...everywhere. And you do realize that there are PLENTY of areas in the South that aren't traditional...BUT THEY ARE STILL PART OF THE SOUTH...as is Virginia. Becoming more 2009 and less traditional does not automatically place your state in a different region.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 AM

542 posts, read 988,699 times
Well I never said that VA is not southern but that perceptions from different regions are varied. I've been to Atlanta several times and I am the first to admit that it did not feel southern at all compared to the rest of the state. Virginia is a very transitional state, it has been as long as I've been alive. I have friends who are all natives that range from being extremely urban in thinking, not liking anything remotely stereotypically southern with no accents, to others who like to go out and hunt and drive big pick-up trucks with accents. I also have friends from above the mason dixon line to well below it. Geographically I think VA and MD have much more in common than NC and VA. MD and VA share the nations capitol, the Chesapeake bay, the Potomac River, the Delmarva peninsula. Both have major port cities on the Chesapeake. NC amd VA both have tobacco heritage and the blue ridge parkway crosses through both states. But not many other distinct geographic similarities. And wouldn't MD be considered southern still since apparently once southern always southern by some peoples opinions here. MD does or did have confederate heritage license plates and it is below the mason dixon line. I always thought it would be cool to abandon this whole north vs south crap and have the original 13 colonies be grouped into a region. All of them are actually the real New England in the fullest sense possible in my opinion.(preparing for inevitable dissent and criticism)

Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,334,240 times
Okay, my vote was for Virginia. About being southern, I would have to say Virginia is in the south minus NoVa. Richmond and Norfolk still have confederate memorials in the CBD. Newport News feels like the north to me. Virginia Beach doesn't really feel like anything. Roanoke feels like the south. But I chose Virginia because of this, which was posted a few pages back:
Norfolk: 4,300/sq.mi.
Richmond: 3,200/sq.mi.
Roanoke: 2,200/sq.mi.
Virginia Beach: 1,700/sq.mi.

Raleigh: 3,300/sq.mi.
Charlotte: 2,500/sq.mi.
Durham: 2,300/sq.mi.
Greensboro: 2,100 sq.mi.

Hampton Roads' most urban city is much more dense than Charlotte & a note about that, Virginia Beach is much more dense than that number. The whole southern half of virginia beach is undeveloped because of a green line to protect wetlands.

But anyway, I actually think Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Hampton Roads is better than any NC metro because of history, density, urbanity, and just the overall vibe of the city. Roanoke is nice as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,278,968 times
The cities may be more dense, and I will even give it to VA in that their urban areas are higher. However, let's also talk about gross metropolitan product. The NC cities win hands down. However, I do wonder how one could figure out the GDP of NoVa. But overall, NC has a higher GDP than VA. I guess even if NC is not as "urban" as VA, we country folk still make more money. LOL!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,334,240 times
Virginia Beach- Norfolk MSA has a GDP index of 138.42. Raleigh- Cary: 132.40. Charlotte MSA: 141.20. Richmond MSA: 124.87

So GDP isn't much different.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,818,151 times
Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City