Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
Southwestern cities like Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, and Albuquerque

I love the weather, the scenery, the attractions, and the history!

But the transplants, illegal immigrants, crime, and people who don't speak English make these places huge turn offs for me as places to live
Same thing for south Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
This may surprise many, but Chicago.

A lot of people there just seem to either hate the world and/or not give a $hit about anybody other than themselves. People are also rude and racist at times. I love Chicago and have lived there and also have tons of family there (where my mom grew up) but I'm not sure I could live there again for the simple reason that people in the city just seem to carry around so much hate, and it makes it unpleasant and dangerous. I hear so many stories about construction workers hit by somebody in a Beamer or Mercedes on a freeway and the driver just speeds off and gets away with it. I never hear this kind of thing as often as I do in Chicago. That's the kind of thing that drives me nuts -- when people are so self-absorbed that they don't even take the safety of somebody else into consideration!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
and people who don't speak English make these places huge turn offs for me as places to live
One of the great things that I always loved about Milwaukee was all the people in the streets speaking German and Polish. Now, those cities have been spoiled by all the people speaking English all the time, which is a huge turnoff as places to live.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-10-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,819,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One of the great things that I always loved about Milwaukee was all the people in the streets speaking German and Polish. Now, those cities have been spoiled by all the people speaking English all the time, which is a huge turnoff as places to live.
That seems kind of silly no? You don't like places because people speak the predominant language of the country? Then I assume you don't like most places in the U.S.? I just don't understand your logic in that.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
That seems kind of silly no? You don't like places because people speak the predominant language of the country? Then I assume you don't like most places in the U.S.? I just don't understand your logic in that.
How is your understanding of sarcasm??

Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
As an angeleno, I always think this. Every time I visit I fall briefly in love with the vistas and the architecture and the landscape of SF... and then after a good day or so I end up just wanting to get the hell over to Oakland ASAP.

A beautiful, incredible city that has been unfortunately ruined by its own success. I feel similarly about Manhattan, btw. Tell a Manhattanite you like Queens and you'll get the same response as telling a SFer you like Daly City.
Complete and utter bullsh**. I have run into very, very, little animosity towards Daly City, and i have lived in SF for a very long time. Daly city is practically part of SF (you can't tell where one ends and the other begins), and it's not a bad place...why hate on it? You must mostly hang out with snooty, self-important transplants or something when you're in SF. Plus i seriously doubt that too many Manhattanites truly hate Queens anyways. You're comparing a misconception (that SFers hate Daly City) with a stereotype (that Manhattanites hate Queens)...good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220
There's a clear point at which a totally art-directed urban experience becomes utterly uninteresting...

You only ever have a "totally art-directed urban experience" in SF? Yeah, you MUST mostly hung out with snooty transplants...or obsessive art fiends or something. As a native i find it amazing that that's the only angle that you've seen SF from. And it's actually not a bad angle either, as there are tons of cool murals and graffiti art in SF, as well as some decent museums...you're not much of an art person, i guess?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
My comment was a direct response to another poster, who said he was turned off by people in the city who continued to use their original language, which is easy for them to use. I thought that seemed kind of silly.

If two people are using a language that is easy and familiar to both of them, and I can't listen in on their private conversation because I don't understand what they are talking about, that doesn't turn me off at all.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-10-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,162 times
Miami

Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,746,289 times
Philadelphia! Sorry but so many people that live there just come off as trashy, especially at Phillies games (granted Im a Mets fan so I realize this should come with a grain of salt).

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,398,149 times
Mine is on a slightly different trek. I like the people I've met there personally, but find the culture to confining as a result of me not being the same religion as the masses: Salt Lake City. The city itself (and the surrounding nature) make this a beautiful and pristine place to visit, but the overall vibe is just nonexistent. If I wanted a medium sized, growing city and it weren't for cultural issues related to religion, I could move there in a heartbeat.

As it stands, the city has draconian booze laws, is basically vice free, and lacks ability to draw in a diverse set of newcomers in large numbers due to the cultural monotony of its citizenry. I personally would have a hard time building a client base there for my profession simply because business is tied so closely to social interactions, and members of the same congregation would already know and be comfortable with one another. It is the equivalent of country club membership in ritzy parts of other cities. If I wasn't married...dating would be pretty impossible.

People are very nice, but I liken it to going over to your conservative Aunt Tilly's house for Thanksgiving: everyone is polite, and there will be no beer served with dinner because Aunt Tilly does not approve. The banter compared to having Thanksgiving at your cool Uncle and Aunt's place just doesn't compare and the general feeling of the place just isn't welcoming, even if the people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City