Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better set up of amenities?
All in one area as it is around Harris County 11 61.11%
Some here and some there as it is in DFW 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times

Advertisements

Which do you think is a better layout of amenities:

1. A concentration of amenities in one area occupying about 2000 sq miles where about 5M people live as is the set up in and around Harris County

or

2. The same amount of amenities as above but scattered in dozens of pockets occupying 3500 sq miles where the same number of people live (5M) as is the set up between Dallas, Tarrant, Colin and Denton counties?

Which would you think makes for the more urban area 5M people within 10-15M of all the amenities concentrated in one area or the same amenities spread out between a number of suburbs instead of concentrated in the primary/ central city?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...l#post18170952

PS: This thread is not a discussion about comparing the densities between the sunbelt and the frostbelt, it is just a simple comparison between unimodal and multi-modal set ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

617 posts, read 1,417,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Which do you think is a better layout of amenities:

1. A concentration of amenities in one area occupying about 2000 sq miles where about 5M people live as is the set up in and around Harris County

or

2. The same amount of amenities as above but scattered in dozens of pockets occupying 3500 sq miles where the same number of people live (5M) as is the set up between Dallas, Tarrant, Colin and Denton counties?

Which would you think makes for the more urban area 5M people within 10-15M of all the amenities concentrated in one area or the same amenities spread out between a number of suburbs instead of concentrated in the primary/ central city?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...l#post18170952

PS: This thread is not a discussion about comparing the densities between the sunbelt and the frostbelt, it is just a simple comparison between unimodal and multi-modal set ups.
Considering Houston is 579 sq miles I wouldn't necessarily say all the amenities are in one area of Houston.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Considering Houston is 579 sq miles I wouldn't necessarily say all the amenities are in one area of Houston.
Inner Loop.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
was that what the question stated? I did not even limit it to Houston because I wanted to equalize the population with access to amenities. It would be unfair to limit it to Houston and Dallas because a lot of the amenities such as air ports and sports venues are outside the central city limits.

don't change the topic, answer the question as is.

same number of people, same number of amenities, only difference is the area the amenities are found in

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Personally Houston has both. For example it has its amenities in a concentrated area (IE Chinatown) but you can get those same amenities in a dispersed area (IE HWY 6/Austin PKWY Intersection- Whatever the devil they call that Chinese Enclave). I have no dog in this fight, I'm good with either, and its a total win either way. This is like saying all the beach activities in Houston are concentrated in one area (Galveston) when in reality, there's 120 miles of beaches to take advantage of, including a few islands (Quintana, Pelican Island, Sandobar) here and there.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
I am not sure I would call Houston a true uni-modal city, it has a few like cores that are spread out a bit though not with the same level nor distance as a place like Dallas which has two distinct poles.

Honestly this may better poised for the TX forum as neither would be considered by many to be truly core centric relative to many other cities.

You have cherry picked your labels a bit and there are a few places that would show equal disparity on the 5 million mark that could be used to suggest Houston as demonstrating a spread development.

But to address the question at hand; I am not sure generally you can say one style is better than another; really would have to compare specific places. In general I prefer more core based but a place with two very strong cores is also not always a bad thing.

I also prefer less spread but once into the burbs spread development that can allow for open space and more centric areas with radiating cores may not be bad over just generally spread and less centralized spread.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
The less I have to drive the better, so neither Harris County nor the Metroplex are my ideal. But as as choice, I go with concentration. Critical mass and density create a vibe better suited to my preferred lifestyle.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am not sure I would call Houston a true uni-modal city, it has a few like cores that are spread out a bit though not with the same level nor distance as a place like Dallas which has two distinct poles.

Honestly this may better poised for the TX forum as neither would be considered by many to be truly core centric relative to many other cities.

You have cherry picked your labels a bit and there are a few places that would show equal disparity on the 5 million mark that could be used to suggest Houston as demonstrating a spread development.

But to address the question at hand; I am not sure generally you can say one style is better than another; really would have to compare specific places. In general I prefer more core based but a place with two very strong cores is also not always a bad thing.

I also prefer less spread but once into the burbs spread development that can allow for open space and more centric areas with radiating cores may not be bad over just generally spread and less centralized spread.

lol, didn't I say don't compare the areas to others. I had posters like you in mind. take it for what it is choose one single nodal or multimodal and say why you think it is better.

That is the only way I can compare them.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Greater Houston doesn't have cores spread out everywhere unless you're talking about the city's cores and even then they are all inside one area. Yeah the city is spread out but I think people understand that with all the threads that reiterate that. Houston is the only city of significance in its metro area.

- People who work, go to Houston

- People who go to Chinatown go to Houston, not The Woodlands

- People who want to watch sports go to Houston

- People who want to do anything concert related go to Houston

There is no Arlington, Fort Worth, Plano, Irving, Richardson, & Grapevine. I don't know of anyone or have ever met anyone who without a cause to visit friends or family has ever said "lets go to The Woodlands for fun".

Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:

By Sunbelt standards; Houston has a very centralized core within the inner loop. You really don't have to leave the loop for anything. Museums, Hospitals, Theaters, restaurants, shopping, clubs, schools and more. All in the loop or surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City