U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is better overall?
Cleveland 203 52.59%
Detroit 183 47.41%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,721,120 times

Advertisements

Does Cleveland have any 72 story towers? Look, Okay, here- I never even explained which city I would live in. Obviously, If I would move for a job, it would be Cleveland. As others have stated, skylines don't make up a city, it just adds to it. My point is - is that the Detroit skyline is underrated, and IMO is much more appealing and aesthetically beautiful, more than the majority of America's major cities. I don't live in Detroit, nor will I ever. It's architecture, charm, and beautiful skyline keeps me coming back for more. There is plenty to do there and is a fantastic city for tourists. Yes, there are good aspects to Cleveland as well, I just see Detroit as very much underrated and I'm tired of it. It's a huge metropolis with a gorgeous skyline (Detroit -sixth most high-rises in America... Cleveland? NO...).
Cleveland for jobs and quality of life, Detroit for entertainment and skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,495,479 times
This is going to seem like Im nitpicking, but Detroit doesnt even have any 72 story towers. The Renaissance Tower is 70 stories, and the Key Tower in Cleveland is taller than it by over 60 feet. Detroit also doesnt have the 6th most high rises in America, and if it did obviously Cleveland wouldnt be 6th since Detroit already was...Detroit is actually 15th and Cleveland is 26th. In case you are wondering I got this info from Emporis and Skyscraperpage (since emporis doesnt let you see much for free anymore): United States - SkyscraperPage.com

I agree that Detroit has a nice skyline and its highly underrated. "Favorite in the world" is taking it a little too far though, but thats okay because its your opinion. I also agree that the city itself and the metro are underrated and it is a huge metropolis. That doesnt excuse you for bashing Cleveland so much though.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM

926 posts, read 1,284,831 times
Detroit's skyline is really unique though you gotta admit. Most of it hasn't been touched since the 1950s and then you have the weird modern GM complex sprouting out on the edge. Plus the weird feeling of knowing some of the skyscrapers have been abandoned for decades gives it a certain mystique.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
This is going to seem like Im nitpicking, but Detroit doesnt even have any 72 story towers. The Renaissance Tower is 70 stories, and the Key Tower in Cleveland is taller than it by over 60 feet. Detroit also doesnt have the 6th most high rises in America, and if it did obviously Cleveland wouldnt be 6th since Detroit already was...Detroit is actually 15th and Cleveland is 26th. In case you are wondering I got this info from Emporis and Skyscraperpage (since emporis doesnt let you see much for free anymore): United States - SkyscraperPage.com

I agree that Detroit has a nice skyline and its highly underrated. "Favorite in the world" is taking it a little too far though, but thats okay because its your opinion. I also agree that the city itself and the metro are underrated and it is a huge metropolis. That doesnt excuse you for bashing Cleveland so much though.
And you don't bash other cities like my own for the stupidest reasons?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,495,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
And you don't bash other cities like my own for the stupidest reasons?
No...I cant say I do. Can you give an example?

The majority of the time its the other way around and Cleveland or someplace in NE Ohio is getting bashed and I have to defend it and reveal the truth as usual. There are a few other areas that I will defend as well if theyre unfairly bashed.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 04-14-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 11,963,143 times
Cleveland.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

83 posts, read 164,355 times
DETROIT only because i like their hats and they hold the gathering of the juggalos. hahaha

Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
No...I cant say I do. Can you give an example?
Just take a look at the Cleveland vs. Buffalo thread.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,935 times
Cleveland because of Lebron James.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,512,920 times
There is a Cleveland vs Buffalo thread? I mean come on, is there even a comparison there? Buffalo is a great city, but its not even in the same league as Cleveland, I am sorry.

Please read what I have to say, some of its opinion based, but a lot of it would be facts:

I voted for Cleveland. Cleveland, just like Milwaukee and Baltimore has made huge changes since the 90s, and even the turn of the century. Cleveland has a much more lively downtown than Detroit. I was just in Cleveland for a Cavs game, and while I was there, the Rock N Roll induction ceromony was going on. I met a family from the Detroit area now living in Cleveland. They were telling me that the life in downtown Cleveland is so much more vibrant and bustling than Detroit, and I would have to agree, going to Detroit many times.

Heres the thing:
Cleveland has one of the fastest growing downtown populations in the nation right now, it was recently named by Brookings Institute as one of America's best emerging downtowns. By 2010 there is an estimated 20,000 people going to be living downtown. You should see all the new midrises that have been built over on Euclid Avenue in the Flats District and in the Warehouse District.

Downtown Cleveland actually gains people during the day because of the workforce coming into the city; Detroit looses people. Most of Detroit's HQs that are left, are in the suburbs. Yes, Detroit is doing some good things downtown, but not enough. Its a shame to see the once awesome art deco skyscrapers in downtown Detroit abandoned and left to rot. Book Cadillac looks great though!

Cleveland has a very extensive rapid transit. Its adding new lines, and was the first rail transit to link downtown to the airport. Detroit doesn't even have light rail. Cleveland also has some awesome plans to update its stations, and build some new modern stations in the uptown area. Cleveland's light rail also goes into the inner ring suburbs. I easily made my way to Shaker Heights, and then up to Lakewood to go to Edgewater park.

Cleveland has a diverse economy that is not dependent on the auto industry. That is killing Detroit. Cleveland currently has an unemployment rate below the national average, while Detroit's is well above the national average.

Some facts people do not know about Cleveland:

There is a national park 30 minutes from downtown.
Cleveland has the second largest theatre district (Playhouse Square) in the country after Broadway.
It has a very extensive park system that reaches all the way from the lake down close to Akron.
Its art museum is one of the best in the country.
The Cleveland Clinic was the first hospital in the United States to do a face transplant, as well as many other firsts.
There are many more, just like Detroit can say too.

Cleveland currently has two multi billion dollar projects in the works in just downtown alone. The Flats East Bank Project which will be west of Browns Stadium, it is a mixed use development with shopping, restaurants, clubs, and condos/apartments, and two highrises. Cleveland, just today, announced that city council agreed to build the new convention center/medical mart on the city's mall site. The new convention center will reach from the center lakefront by the Great Lakes Science Center and Rock N Roll HOF down close to Public Square.

University Circle and the Uptown area are literally booming. There are cranes everywhere.

Yes, every spot in the nation is hurting right now. But Cleveland is outpacing Detroit in just about every category. Do not get me wrong, I love Detroit, and I will stick up for it anyday. It has an awesome art deco skyline, the best in the world in my opinion (art deco). But economically, Cleveland is better. Cleveland has a much more diverse economy. Cleveland's downtown is lively and thriving, Little Italy, Tremont, Ohio City are all bustling city districts of Cleveland.

Cleveland gets my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or