U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is better overall?
Cleveland 207 52.41%
Detroit 188 47.59%
Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,683,650 times

Advertisements

^
I completely agree with the above. Couldnt have said it better.

I also said the same thing about Buffalo (and went into more specifics and detail) in that thread, and Buffalonian4life went on a near rampage of incredibly overrating Buffalo, and bashing Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:38 AM

327 posts, read 946,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post

Heres the thing:
Cleveland has one of the fastest growing downtown populations in the nation right now, it was recently named by Brookings Institute as one of America's best emerging downtowns. By 2010 there is an estimated 20,000 people going to be living downtown. You should see all the new midrises that have been built over on Euclid Avenue in the Flats District and in the Warehouse District.

Downtown Cleveland actually gains people during the day because of the workforce coming into the city; Detroit looses people. Most of Detroit's HQs that are left, are in the suburbs. Yes, Detroit is doing some good things downtown, but not enough. Its a shame to see the once awesome art deco skyscrapers in downtown Detroit abandoned and left to rot. Book Cadillac looks great though!

Cleveland has a very extensive rapid transit. Its adding new lines, and was the first rail transit to link downtown to the airport. Detroit doesn't even have light rail. Cleveland also has some awesome plans to update its stations, and build some new modern stations in the uptown area. Cleveland's light rail also goes into the inner ring suburbs. I easily made my way to Shaker Heights, and then up to Lakewood to go to Edgewater park.

Cleveland has a diverse economy that is not dependent on the auto industry. That is killing Detroit. Cleveland currently has an unemployment rate below the national average, while Detroit's is well above the national average.

Yo i got to check out Cleveland, but Detroit has done a lot in the last few years to revive the downtown, though it has been tough. I was reading a artical say that Detriot is trying to expand the monorail and add a light rail (remember it was some artical nothing serious)...i still go with the big D. I feel likes its a city/soap oprera and in the future its going to be a marvelous old school super city...think about another Chicago...hopes and dreams......

Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM

1,576 posts, read 4,796,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
^
I completely agree with the above. Couldnt have said it better.

I also said the same thing about Buffalo (and went into more specifics and detail) in that thread, and Buffalonian4life went on a near rampage of incredibly overrating Buffalo, and bashing Cleveland.
Pish posh. I went on a rampage?!? LOL.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,683,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Pish posh. I went on a rampage?!? LOL.
No, you went on a "near rampage" .

Theres a difference.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,223,152 times
Hmm.Who ever wins the series between Pistons and Cavs,Will get my vote but I Already know who to vote for..

Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
No, you went on a "near rampage" .

Theres a difference.
What!?

Okay I'm done here. A quick look at my past posts and I don't see how you can't stand me. You are one of a kind, Cle...one of a kind. Have fun living in one of America's most underrated cities (a good thing ). I understand you overreact, a cry for help?

Cheers from Buffalo ~

Old 04-19-2009, 10:57 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,660,574 times
Quote:
What!?

Okay I'm done here. A quick look at my past posts and I don't see how you can't stand me. You are one of a kind, Cle...one of a kind. Have fun living in one of America's most underrated cities (a good thing ). I understand you overreact, a cry for help?

Cheers from Buffalo ~
America's most underrated city with an embarrased face?

I do think living in Cleveland being a very underrated city IS A GOOD THING. Look at Pittsburgh and Cleveland, both have made huge comebacks in the last few years, and have divesified their economies. And look at them now, they are not hurting near as bad as cities down south or Detroit for that matter. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have turned from steel making cities, to centers for technology, the medical field, and banking centers. I know, the banks suck right now, but if they were dependent on one industry like they were a few decades ago, they would be hurting just as bad as Detroit and cities down south and out west.

Cleveland and Pittsburgh ARE underrated, and that is awesome. You know how many people come to these cities thinking one thing, and leaving with a completely new opinion on them? Do you realize that these cities are starting to see sharp reverses in their population trends? Go to both the Cleveland and Pittsburgh sub-forums and read about how many people loved it there, are looking to move there, and all the threads being made that say "Coming Back Home!". Pittsburgh and Cleveland the last few years have consistantly been voted America's most livable cities, and All-American cities.

These two cities have history, they have preserved this history, and are using it not only to help them now, but in the future as well.

BTW, Buffalo is a great city like I stated before. Buffalo in my opinion is an underrated city as well. They have an awesome population of people that cares about their city, and would defend it like there was no tommorow. The thing is, it just can't compete with Cleveland. Cleveland just has more to offer, and it brings more to the table. Thats all, no need to flip out about it.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 PM

^ Opinion is opinion. No right or wrong answer here, but I understand everyone's voice and thoughts... No need to kill someone's civic pride and humbled opinion!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,660,574 times
Quote:
^ Opinion is opinion. No right or wrong answer here, but I understand everyone's voice and thoughts... No need to kill someone's civic pride and humbled opinion!
I understand that.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
Default Detroit

Couldn't help but post. I live in Chicago (I'm originally from the West Side of Michigan). Growing up, we always disliked Detroit - crime, pollution, politics were totally different from West Michigan.

I remember in 2001, things started changing. Everyday in the paper, some plant was shutting down, and opening up in China or Mexico. It wasn't just a recession, it was a permanent replacement of jobs from the US to other countries. Cleveland and Detroit have been going through this kind of thing for years. It's surprising they're doing as well as they are.

Anyway, I've lived in Chicago for 4 years. I just got back from the D to have a fun weekend and see a Tigers game. It was a blast. Theres a ton of stuff going on downtown Detroit, new shops, restaurants, cultural centers, business headquarters, stadiums, etc. I can't believe it. Surely, Detroit has a ton of work to do, but they've got a good start.

Cleveland, I can't comment on everything, but from what I've seen, its not as cool as Detroit. They don't have the music scene (from homegrown to national acts) and the downtown doesn't have the same appeal to me. I love old art deco buildings, Detroit wins there. Cleveland's Tower City is cool, if you want to eat lunch overlooking muddy Lake Erie with barges coming in, I thought it was uniquely Cleveland - but probably wouldn't excite most people from Chicago or elsewhere.

Nightlife? Detroit. The flats can't compare to Hamtramck (one of the most diverse areas in the country) or even Greektown. Lots of good bars, restaurants: Magic Stick/Majestic, Jacoby's, Cadieux Cafe, Bronx Bar (Cass Corridor), tons of strip clubs (if that's your thing). Not including Plymouth area or Royal Oak.

Sports teams? Hands down Detroit. I know, Lebron is a God. But you just can't go wrong with the Tigers, the Pistons, and the Red Wings. Best sports town in America, in my opinion - Chicago being a close second. Culturally, I think there's more to do in Detroit overall since its bigger. The Henry Ford, Rouge River plant tour, the Dream Cruise, the art museum (most underrated in the US I think), DEMF, etc. Its a working class town (even though they have richer suburbs - Oakland County) but its never been afraid of this identity. Somehow Cleveland strikes me as a town where they've always tried to come off as classier than they are and ends up coming off tacky.

One of my best friend lives in Cleveland currently (from MI) and another good friend grew up in Ohio City. I'd like to see more of Cleveland (hoping to this summer) but I love Detroit - it's people are so friendly, and it's the least pretentious city in the US. Now if they can only revive the economy and the messed up neighborhoods, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or