U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 9,743,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Depends where. Phoenix? Thats not warm. Thats Hellish heat in summer, mild-to-chilly in winter. Santa Fe? Warm in summer, cold in winter. Four Corners? Hot in summer, frigid in winter.
I know there are some cold places in the Southwest. I meant places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Cruces, and El Paso when I said the Southwest is the place for warmth without natural disasters. All those cities have average highs of at least the mid 50s in the winter. Summers might be hot but heat falls under the category of warmth, so yes, they are warm places.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM

157 posts, read 319,116 times
SF, Cali.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM

16,496 posts, read 20,042,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I know there are some cold places in the Southwest. I meant places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Cruces, and El Paso when I said the Southwest is the place for warmth without natural disasters. All those cities have average highs of at least the mid 50s in the winter. Summers might be hot but heat falls under the category of warmth, so yes, they are warm places.
Now let's not forget that old windchill factor. Windchill is windchill is windchill!
Even in Hawaii, small wonder you see people walking around Waikikii at night with a light coat on. Here, in Las Vegas, in winter, when the temp at night falls into the mid 30's, and the wind blows through the valley at 30-40MPH, it can FEEL colder than Minnesota! Same with San Diego or L.A.. Ever stand along the ocean in So. Cal. in, say, January, and a strong breeze blows off that ocean: Y-I-K-E-S!!! Oh so sorry, you didn't bring along your winter coat! I've stayed south of San Diego in Tijuana in January, and there were nights it was so cold, I had to put on my clothes under the covers, just to walk to the bathroom! Y-I-K-E-S!!

But these summers in Las Vegas! I've experienced one summer in Florida (no one has to describe Hell to me, as I've been there!) summers in Minnesota and I wouldn't trade the summers here for anywhere out East. 100 degrees in June with 3-5% humidity, who needs the air-conditioner on? I'm comfortable without it. Yes, Las Vegas has their dog-days of summer in late July/August when our humidity can climb up to 25-40%, and THEN, that's hell! But those of us who live here, we largely ignore the temperature in the summertime, and we only check the humidity level for the day. And one of the best features here: No nasty gnats or mosquitos or woodticks.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM

731 posts, read 1,771,409 times
San Diego or Honolulu.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM

292 posts, read 833,896 times
Miami- between 70-90 every day. 290 days of sun a year.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM

16 posts, read 27,327 times
Have lived in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Florida (Miami), and New Mexico. Travel often to Denver, Vegas, Flagstaff, and east coast.

I live in the mountains, east of Albuquerque (30 minutes). Santa Fe is less than an hour.

If you are like me, and enjoy all four seasons without extreams, and are uncomfortable in high humidity (a trip to Florida, for example, is torture) the East Mountains is the ONLY place to live. We enjoy low humidity all year long with the air remaing dry even inthe middle of a summer rain shower.

We reach highs into the high 80's to low 90's in the summer (mid-June through mid-September) during the day but cool off at night in the 50's. We have a spring season that lasts from the begining of April through mid-June, and a beautiful fall season starting mid-September through October. Winter enters in November and lasts through March; we can reach lows into the single digits (more often in the 20's) at night but the days are sunny and much warmer with highs in the 30's, 40's and 50's. We have a few snow storms annually that cause delays and school closures but 30 miles away in Albuquerque, snow is rare (flurries more common) and if it does fall it melts quickly.

If I were to move I would consider the following cities for their similar weather and close proximity to a large city: Flagstaff, Denver or Colorado Springs.

California is also great but far too expensive.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM

29 posts, read 29,295 times
easy SD

Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,359,220 times
Phoenix gets Natural Disasters.......they're called "droughts". Happens quite often there.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,962,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicogal View Post
Have lived in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Florida (Miami), and New Mexico. Travel often to Denver, Vegas, Flagstaff, and east coast.

I live in the mountains, east of Albuquerque (30 minutes). Santa Fe is less than an hour.

If you are like me, and enjoy all four seasons without extreams, and are uncomfortable in high humidity (a trip to Florida, for example, is torture) the East Mountains is the ONLY place to live. We enjoy low humidity all year long with the air remaing dry even inthe middle of a summer rain shower.

We reach highs into the high 80's to low 90's in the summer (mid-June through mid-September) during the day but cool off at night in the 50's. We have a spring season that lasts from the begining of April through mid-June, and a beautiful fall season starting mid-September through October. Winter enters in November and lasts through March; we can reach lows into the single digits (more often in the 20's) at night but the days are sunny and much warmer with highs in the 30's, 40's and 50's. We have a few snow storms annually that cause delays and school closures but 30 miles away in Albuquerque, snow is rare (flurries more common) and if it does fall it melts quickly.

If I were to move I would consider the following cities for their similar weather and close proximity to a large city: Flagstaff, Denver or Colorado Springs.

California is also great but far too expensive.
I spent a vacation in Santa Fe and really enjoyed it but I went in the winter so I could only imagine what the other seasons are like. But how is housing, jobs,etc like?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM

16 posts, read 27,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I spent a vacation in Santa Fe and really enjoyed it but I went in the winter so I could only imagine what the other seasons are like. But how is housing, jobs,etc like?
Housing is a big bonus here. We have not been subject to the drastic declines in real estate values as we have seen in many other areas. I am currently looking for a home closer to my husband's job and am looking at 1700-2000 square feet on at least an acre (in the east mountains; Tijeras). Prices are ranging from $210,000-$240,000. Albuquerque has an abundance of homes in this price range and will offer more square footage (2200+) on a city lot in a safe area. These prices are typical for new construction/newer homes; older homes can be found for substancially less.

Currently our unemployment rate is much lower than the national average. Salaries are lower than the East Coast but offset by the great housing prices. We have a growing film industry here with active studios in Albuquerque which are supported by incentives from the state and city government. The University of New Mexico (Albuquerque) is a big employer, as well as Intell, the military base, the numerous hospitals, and retail has exploded in the past few years with more up-scale shopping (Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, etc.). Tourism is big both in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Taos. Our teaching salaries are low as well as salaries within the human services (social work) arena (my world). But, again, offset by the housing prices and the many free outdoor activities.

Another plus: We are now leading the nation in solar energy use and all new construction has to have the rough in for solar. Many newer homes built within the last decade have radient heat which is less costly as well. We use swamp coolers in the east mountins for cooling (very inexpensive to run) because of the low humidity. Albuquerque is hotter and many new homes there are being built with central air.

Politics have been a mess here with Bill Richardson (Governor) under investigation and several state legislators being convicted this year of corruption and extortion. But the future looks brighter with Val Kilmer, a Pecos resident, considering a bid for Governor.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or