U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,436,001 times

Advertisements

Atlanta because it has a little bit of everything (except maybe heavy snow). You folks who claim you love the Pacific NorthWest because of the cool overcast rainy weather should love it now. The ones that love classic fall weather with pretty leaves and everything would have loved it a week or two ago. There has already been light snow flurries in the area this year for those who like that kind of thing. Of course the Springs are gorgeous here and there are plenty of warm sunny days (sometimes even in the winter). And if you like flat out heat we have that in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM

415 posts, read 1,059,936 times
I would say Charlotte nice vibrant city TONS of things to do between the beaches and the mountains and its warm in the summer and its pretty decent during the winter we usually see about 5 inches of snow annually so you'll still have the snow but not all the time.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Miami wins NO CONTEST!!!!!!!!!
Sorry folks - but anyone look at a weather map regularly?
Take a look. I dare ya! I DOUBLE dare ya!
Yeah, it's hot & humid in the summer, but some of us love it - and EVERYPLACE is hot in the summer.
This thread is now closed!
I will take on that double dare. Very few people would disagree with me that San Diego blows away Miami in whether. Let's see:

Miami: Hurricanes
San Diego: No hurricanes, rarely has any rain storms.

Miami: Hot and Humid
San Diego: Dry and always perfect, cool Pacific breezes every night

Miami: Damp weather means bugs!
San Diego: Not a mosquito in site.

San Diego wins NO CONTEST! It is always sunny and perfect.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,846,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dude View Post
I will take on that double dare. Very few people would disagree with me that San Diego blows away Miami in whether. Let's see:

Miami: Hurricanes
San Diego: No hurricanes, rarely has any rain storms.

Miami: Hot and Humid
San Diego: Dry and always perfect, cool Pacific breezes every night

Miami: Damp weather means bugs!
San Diego: Not a mosquito in site.

San Diego wins NO CONTEST! It is always sunny and perfect.
The mosquito situation depends on location. Neighborhood ponds produce mosquitoes but not as bad as the South.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM

196 posts, read 373,993 times
Southern California

Old 01-28-2010, 06:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,458,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
Based on your experience, which city or state has the best temperature? I currently live in NJ (decent summer that drags and cold winters that last too long). I am always looking at the postings in the other boards wishing I was moving to a different area with nicer weather. Maybe LA or better yet San Fransicso would be my choice. What about you guys? Also thinking Las Vegas, I know the summers are brutal, but at least they have a change of season.
California is the best, and San Diego is the best in California. It's mostly dry, never gets too hot or cold, no snow, little rain, lots of sunshine, very comfortable. L.A., only a couple hours north, is similar. San Francisco, another 5 hours north, has great weather but on the cool side, and there can be big fluctuations due to all the microclimates in the Bay Area.

To give you an idea of Bay Area weather, 2 quick stories:
My first time to SF, I was working in Sacramento at the time, and one day I had a half-day, so I left Sacramento to go see a Giants game in SF. It was July, about 106 degrees in Sacramento. I put on cargo shorts, sandals, and a T-shirt and drove off. I stopped in Napa on the way, still beautiful out but not as hot, and I visited a winery. Then I got to SF, around 7:00 or so. It was 55 degrees!!! When the sun went down it was about 50 degrees, I was freezing!
On the other end of the spectrum, I once flew out of an early January blizzard from JFK to Oakland, got to Oakland very late and went to my hotel in Milpitas (San Jose area), and the next morning drove down to Santa Cruz, and enjoyed beautiful, beautiful green hills and lush vegetation from Milpitas down to Santa Cruz. In January. And I went to Sausalito on that same trip and they had plants and flowers in all the planters.

So Bay Area is good but a little cooler and more unpredictable than SoCal.

Vegas is great, to me - it's dry, it gets cool in the winter, sometimes even a little bit of snow, and summers are a bit too hot, but it really is dry heat and pretty comfortable.

As for our home state of NJ, it's not that bad here - it's only really bad when it's extremely cold (like we're about to get again for several days) or extremely hot and humid as it can be in June or July. I happen to hate rain also but NJ gets about a normal amount of rain (still too much for me, but it's not like Seattle's non-stop rain and wetness).

But California really can't be beat for weather.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 PM

96 posts, read 234,006 times
honolulu
trade winds and no ac

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
Practicality aside, Hawaii by a mile (wish all questions in life were that easy). Not sure it's really fair to compare it to the rest of the US though.
Hawaii? That's what some people say but from a comfort perspective in my experience, it is hard for almost any major city in the US to compare with the weather of the city of San Francisco Notice that I said the city not the suburbs. Nice comfortable cool summers and the air is really clean. I guess I will say that SF is pleasant just about all 12 months of the year. If I had to give a grand prize in a contest to the city with the greatest weather, SF would win, no question about it.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,174,405 times
Nowhere east of the Rockies or more than 100 miles inland

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM

11,295 posts, read 16,430,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The mosquito situation depends on location. Neighborhood ponds produce mosquitoes but not as bad as the South.
People really tend to extremely over exaggerate the mosquitoes in the East, like they're locusts that suck blood or something.

I'd say Central/South Florida, SoCal, & Hawaii year round-wise but Summer (my favorite season) anywhere between NYC, Miami, Los Angeles, & Honolulu are good enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or