Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Very informative, Ken

I think the ocean's effect on the West Coast is a bit stronger than the East Coast due to the prevailing westerly winds across the nation. Cold air masses coming ashore along the West Coast have been greatly modified by the ocean & tend to be much warmer than the East Coast. Air masses over land tend to be either colder or hotter without water to modify the temps. That's why Florida doesn't record maximums above 100F [extremely rare] & most summer days are near 90F. But in places not surrounded by an ocean it gets very hot or very cold compared to Florida. Texas is a good example of much hotter summers & much colder winters than Florida but at the same latitude.
Yup - all that is essentially correct. The only thing I'd really add is that the situation is a bit more complicated because of the presence of the warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. That semi-tropical air moving north collides with cold air heading south from Canada and east from the Rockies to produce a weather "battlefield". This is the reason that so many tornadoes (more than anywhere else - by FAR) happen there. Makes for VERY INTERESTING weather dynamics that are PERFECT for tornado formation.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,022 times
I always hear from SO many people that say California has the best weather in the nation. That's not entirely accurate or true in my opinion. It depends where in California we are talking about. Los Angeles? No way. In fact, the only place(s) in CA that I think have truly nice weather are San Francisco, San Jose and probably San Diego. I don't think so highly of the rest of the state. Coastal Oregon which includes cities such as Salem, Portland, and the other small towns in the western part of the state have a nice climate. The rain they get is GOOD for the air quality and the environment. The snow that Portland gets also adds to its weather being interesting.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Minnesota, hands down. LOL. (maybe June-September) lol

Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
Seattle weather is one of the worst on Earth. Vampires live here. Everyone is yellow. Don't com eto seattle. You will hate the weather and get brain sick. Rain, Rain and Fat and too many elderly living homes. More than anywhere you will find. Realty sucks guys. Speak the truth and people will hate you....

Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Default Best Weather

Yes indeed, this is a very subjective question. I will however, offer my opinion.

Snow is beautiful and it can be a blast, but dealing with the cold weather that comes with it doesn't appeal to me. The spectacular autumns of the North East are not to be missed, however, still a little chilly for my tastes. Springtime in the mountains of North Carolina is vibrant, but still chilly to me.

Coastal South Florida in the Fall Winter and Spring has mild temperatures abundant sunshine warm water and lower humidity than during the summer. Summers are hot and humid no getting around it! Most, I imagine can already figure......I LIKE IT HOT HOT HOT!!!! So for me the climate here is great!

So for now I'll visit the North East and North Carolina etc. And enjoy my daily life here in sunny South Florida (I might hide in the A/C a little in the afternoon during summer.....

SoCal has perfect temps but the air quality isn't nearly as good as SoFla and the water is a whole lot colder.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 11,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
LOL No it's not! Good grief........lol

Close enough. WAY too much fog and cold.....

Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,224 times
Miami's is nice. You all like to say that its too hot and humid in the summer, but look at our weather, it's perfect. An average high of 90 in July, and a low of 60 in December. What more can you ask for?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Miami's is nice. You all like to say that its too hot and humid in the summer, but look at our weather, it's perfect. An average high of 90 in July, and a low of 60 in December. What more can you ask for?
I could survive in Miami (a lot MORE than survive actually) - though I'd prefer Hawaii and will end up settling for SE Arizona (which is pretty nice weather too).

Of course, I'm the first to admit that I'm a "tropical" kind of guy.

Ken

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I could survive in Miami (a lot MORE than survive actually) - though I'd prefer Hawaii and will end up settling for SE Arizona (which is pretty nice weather too).

Of course, I'm the first to admit that I'm a "tropical" kind of guy.

Ken
Yeah SE Arizona looks really nice, its similar to Miami in temperatures, just a lot less humid. I would miss the thunderstorms lol.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Yeah SE Arizona looks really nice, its similar to Miami in temperatures, just a lot less humid. I would miss the thunderstorms lol.
Actually SE Arizona gets a LOT of thunderstorms. Roughly half of the years rainfall typically falls during afternoon/evening thunderstorms during the July/August monsoon. That's where those imfamous "desert flash-floods" come in. They are so spectacular that there are even "stormchaser" type tours. You ARE right though that it's much less humid than Miami. In my opinion SE Arizona has one of the best climates in the entire continental US - and NO ONE seems to realize it.

arizona monsoon - Google Search

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City