U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,552,550 times

Advertisements

To echo a few others:

1. Honolulu
2. San Diego/LA

Honolulu is in the tropics but is incredibly comfortable most of the year due to the trade winds. Amazing that Honolulu only gets approx. 21 inches of rain per year. [LA gets 15 inches; S.D. 10 inches]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,903,688 times
Call me crazy but I love the weather in Minnesota. It is like a buffet that never ends: blizzards, cold so intense that it is like walking on the moon, torrential thunderstorms, hail, sleet, tornadoes, ice storms, hurricane force winds, tropical humidity, perfect summer days, hoar frost, beach weather in March, snow in June. And despite all of that there are a large number of days with perfect, sunny, not-too-hot, not-too-cold weather.

If you live here long enough you will see everything except hurricanes.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-20-2012 at 01:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,977,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
To echo a few others:

1. Honolulu
2. San Diego/LA

Honolulu is in the tropics but is incredibly comfortable most of the year due to the trade winds. Amazing that Honolulu only gets approx. 21 inches of rain per year. [LA gets 15 inches; S.D. 10 inches]
The tropics are mostly likely that and I have no idea why. The extreme hot temperatures are always found somewhat higher. Dunno why.

For example, in Puerto Rico it's mid 80s in the summer with a nice wind. In the winter it is low 80s, maybe an occasional high 70s. If a rain cloud comes and blocks the sun it can even feel chilly if you're in short sleeves.

Miami beach get's into the low 90s in the summer. It's saved by the wind off the atlantic though for whatever reason it's not pronounced as in PR. Wintertime we're talking 70s with occasional dips in the 60s.

Now Myrtle beach up on the SC is regularly in the mid 90s if not higher. The air feels stagnant too. I never spent a winter there but you're probably looking at frost every year.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Call me crazy but I love the weather in Minnesota. It is like a buffet that never ends: blizzards, cold so intense that it is like walking on the moon, torrential thunderstorms, hail, sleet, tornadoes, ice storms, hurricane force winds, tropical humidity, perfect summer days, hoar frost, beach weather in March, snow in June. And despite all of that there are a large number of days with perfect, sunny, not-too-hot, not-too-cold weather.

If you live here long enough you will see everything except hurricanes.
4 seasons can be nice provided the winter is short Why I picked NC and they get hurricanes too

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM

19,003 posts, read 22,026,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
The tropics are mostly likely that and I have no idea why. The extreme hot temperatures are always found somewhat higher. Dunno why.

For example, in Puerto Rico it's mid 80s in the summer with a nice wind. In the winter it is low 80s, maybe an occasional high 70s. If a rain cloud comes and blocks the sun it can even feel chilly if you're in short sleeves.

Miami beach get's into the low 90s in the summer. It's saved by the wind off the atlantic though for whatever reason it's not pronounced as in PR. Wintertime we're talking 70s with occasional dips in the 60s.

Now Myrtle beach up on the SC is regularly in the mid 90s if not higher. The air feels stagnant too. I never spent a winter there but you're probably looking at frost every year.
The difference is the islands you mention are ISLANDS - surrounded by water which moderates the temps and helps keep them from either extreme. On top of that those areas are also affected by the trade winds - which act as a natural air-conditioner - they are most calm in the morning and pick up as the day heats up, then die back down at night as the air cools off - giving such places an almost completely perfect climate.

Ken

Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,686,982 times
For whoever said Kauai gets cool, not so. Maybe a bit cooler than summer, but still warm.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 PM

886 posts, read 1,296,357 times
LA, California
San Diego, California
Tijuana, Baja California
Isla Partida, Baja California

Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,686,982 times
Bay Area weather sucks. Too depressing and cloudy, not warm enough. Disgusting! I prefer warmth. Hawaii, then Florida/California FTW

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 PM

i like the rain if it's warm. the rain in california often comes in the winter, when it's cold and chills you to the bone.

in the tropics, or even most of the south, the rain comes down when it's warm. cools everything down and makes everything nice and green. i dunno why anyone would dislike that kinda rain...

Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 AM

137 posts, read 232,257 times
#1 = San Francisco

#2 = Seattle

#3 = Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or