U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 AM

22,163 posts, read 26,732,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
i like the rain if it's warm. the rain in california often comes in the winter, when it's cold and chills you to the bone.

in the tropics, or even most of the south, the rain comes down when it's warm. cools everything down and makes everything nice and green. i dunno why anyone would dislike that kinda rain...
Actually, rainy weather when it's warm means sticky, uncomfortable weather (high humidity).

The fact that there is rain in California in the winter shows that California does have weather. It's not always dry and sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,963,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
#1 = San Francisco

#2 = Seattle

#3 = Denver
These are very nice if you can't handle extremes (even Denver's extremes aren't very "extreme" because of the dryness). I figured if I had severe arthritis or Gout those are some of the places I'd consider. But if you like changing weather Denver would be the most ideal of those three, but maybe not the most ideal in the country. I think the Northeastern U.S. has pretty great weather actually (as much as you guys complain): 4 great, intense seasons (winter not so intense actually). The "ideal" place for people who like it all -- snow, rain, ice, heat, humidity, storms, etc. -- would have 3 SOLID months of winter (temps hovering around the freezing mark during the daytime for ice/snow events), 3 months of spring and fall (with temps averaging 50 to 60 degrees for half of it), and 3 months of summer with period of heat and humidity ("heat" meaning over 90 degrees and "humidity" meaning dewpoints above 60-65).

If the Twin Cities were 5 degrees warmer during the winter they might be ideal, or if the Great Lakes/Northeast were 5 degrees or so cooler in the winter they might be ideal.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

9,064 posts, read 17,418,212 times
I love the weather in New Mexico.

Albuquerque has the best four season climate. At one mile high in elevation it doesn't get the stifling hot summers that Phoenix and Tucson has, but still nice and hot with temps around 90 and it cools off nicely at night down to the 60's. Shorts and T shirt weather lasts from April to October. Winters are mild though subject to cold snaps to make things interesting but not very long lasting. Access to snow is very closeby up in Santa Fe and Taos without having to deal with it on the roads and back yard. Best thing is the weather is usually very dry throughout the year and making hot and cold temperatures very comfortable.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,231,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
#1 = San Francisco

#2 = Seattle

#3 = Denver
I thought Seattle had gloomy weather like every day?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 11,887 times
Coastal Florida--hands down. Don't live too far inland, ie. Orlando, because you'll get the summer humidity without the ocean breeze. But pick any Southern, coastal county/city and you will never want to leave.

Oh! And compared to Southern CA? The gulf and ocean are WARM so you can actually swim, surf, snorkle without a wet suit.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM

253 posts, read 571,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Albuquerque has the best four season climate. At one mile high in elevation it doesn't get the stifling hot summers that Phoenix and Tucson has, but still nice and hot with temps around 90 and it cools off nicely at night down to the 60's. Shorts and T shirt weather lasts from April to October. Winters are mild though subject to cold snaps to make things interesting but not very long lasting. Access to snow is very closeby up in Santa Fe and Taos without having to deal with it on the roads and back yard. Best thing is the weather is usually very dry throughout the year and making hot and cold temperatures very comfortable.
I second that.

New Mexico has very nice climates. All are sunny and dry.
Ranging from cool mountain climates, like in Red River or Eagle Nest.
To warm desert climates in lower elevations in the south,
like Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Deming, or Carlsbad.

And right in the middle is Albuquerque, not too hot, not too cold

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM

19,003 posts, read 22,026,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

I looked into New Mexico when considering retirement property but it's just a bit too chilly for me in the winter. I wanted a place that didn't average below freezing at night at any time of the year but was not super hot either (never averaging triple digits for a high). What we selected was NEARLY New Mexico - ie SE Arizona. Cochise County along the NM border is pretty perfect in my Opinion - slightly lower in elevation than NM so it's slightly (but not by much) warmer. Though temps in the county vary a bit of course depending on the local elevation, places like Sierra Vista (at a bit over 4,000 feet) have a nearly ideal climate. Average summer highs are a bit warmer than Albuquerque - but not by much, with average highs of 93/92/89 for June/July/Aug, but the trade-off for that slightly warmer summer is that winters are a bit warmer too, with average highs/lows for Dec, Jan & Feb of 62/34, 61/34 and 65/37. As you describe, SE Arizona also has brief cold snaps to make it interesting but they are typically even milder and shorter than those in Albuquerque. We have land 40 minutes east of Tucson & sit at about the same elevation as Sierra Vista & so have about the same climate.

Ken

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,032,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
CAlifornia, no contest... Wanna stay cool all year ? Bay Area is your place.
80's in the summer, 50's in the winter
Go south towards L.A. or S.D. if you like it warmer with very mild winters...
Pretty muck anywhere along the CAli coast is always fairly nice, it does get hot inland
^That was an easy answer!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 723 times
The St. George, UT area. Yes the summers can be hot but the rest of the year is great. Over 30 golf courses. Close to some of the best national parks. Beautiful red rocks and canyons...... One of the most beautiful is Snow Canyon State Park. Two hours to Las Vegas, new airport, plenty of shopping, low property taxes, I live in the city of Ivins, just north of St. George and in the red rock area. My home is a 400k home and the property tax is $2100 / year. We are right on the west edge of the mountain time zone so we have long days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or