Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,555,749 times

Advertisements

The best weather I've ever seen is in Southern California, particularly around the San Diego area. Consistent weather patterns all throughout the year. And there is really isn't any pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiga9 View Post
Hawaii and Miami rains like half the year right? Las vegas seems to get the least rain, 4.3 inches a year avg. i think miami and hawaii are like 55 inches a year average.
depends on what part, or side, of an island you're on. The Leeward side gets much less rain than the windward side. Compare the Hilo on one side of the Big Island to Kona on the other side, HUGE difference in precipitation, around 128" vs 10". Honolulu only gets around 20" a year.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
depends on what part, or side, of an island you're on. The Leeward side gets much less rain than the windward side. Compare the Hilo on one side of the Big Island to Kona on the other side, HUGE difference in precipitation, around 128" vs 10". Honolulu only gets around 20" a year.
Yeah, the Hawaiian Islands - especially the two islands with the really high (10,000 ft+) mountains (Maui and Hawaii) have nearly every climate you can imagine - and one can learn nearly everything there is to know about the various climate zones the earth offers. Furthermore, the change in climate zones comes about over VERY short distances. You can go from rain forest to desert in almost no time at all. I've seen places in Hawaii where the change in vegetation due to rainfall differences can be seen in just a few hundred feet. To find the specific climate you want, just go clockwise around the island - or up and down the mountainsides.

Ken

Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 18,790 times
We want to be somewhere in a moderate climate. Warm but not hot summer with low humidity. Cool but not freezing in winter, also with low humidity. Also looking for low altitude. Can anybody help me figure out where this might be?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie, Hudson, WI View Post
We want to be somewhere in a moderate climate. Warm but not hot summer with low humidity. Cool but not freezing in winter, also with low humidity. Also looking for low altitude. Can anybody help me figure out where this might be?
Seattle
Portland, Oregon

The winters are cool (not freezing) but they are cloudy and rainy. The summers are exactly what you described. It's hard to find a place with the climate you want and with a low elevation.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 PM

91 posts, read 434,133 times
sorry here is the link for city vs city weather comparision: It says las vegas but you can type in any two cities you want.

Climatology Comparison for Las Vegas, NV - weather.com

Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,390 times
Where it has good bearable 4 seasons.

FL- HELL no
Most the south- HELL NO
The West- ehh, not really
North East- Mid Atlantic is good

I would say Maryland or Delaware.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,603 times
San Diego Today 78 and sunny

Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,345,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
Based on your experience, which city or state has the best temperature? I currently live in NJ (decent summer that drags and cold winters that last too long). I am always looking at the postings in the other boards wishing I was moving to a different area with nicer weather. Maybe LA or better yet San Fransicso would be my choice. What about you guys? Also thinking Las Vegas, I know the summers are brutal, but at least they have a change of season.
Love Buffalo! I love the mild, warm summers, then comes the gorgeous Fall foliage and perfect temps, then comes winter - where Lake Erie gives us incredible large lake-effect snow flakes, and creates an exciting atmosphere to come together as a community and survive in what may be considered a long winter. I love Spring here, as it builds up to our fantastic summers - yes Lake Erie's hundreds of miles of surface is fozen over currently, but in the summer it is great for swimming - sometimes the water can get to a perfect 80+ degrees, to which many enjoy.

I don't really care what other people say about our weather, but we have four seasons here in Buffalo - the perfect weather? No, but it sure is a great place to raise children because they can enjoy a variety of weather elements which is good for your kids.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM

91 posts, read 434,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Where it has good bearable 4 seasons.

FL- HELL no
Most the south- HELL NO
The West- ehh, not really
North East- Mid Atlantic is good

I would say Maryland or Delaware.

oh come on, maryland and delaware gets too cold in the winter (december)...average of 45 degrees high. San Diego gets avg. 66 degrees high in december.

and even in maryland it gets too warm in the summer (maybe 88 high avg.), where san diego keeps cool at around 75. believe it or not, san diego is too perfect (i wish i lived there, im a tennis player, need the nice weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City