U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 AM

2,474 posts, read 1,738,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammwill View Post
You know, you can contribute to the thread without the condescending attitude.
Ok. The point I am making is that this thread comparing Indianapolis and Louisville is ludicrous and a more viable thread comapring Indianapolis to somewhere else in the Midwest would have made a lot more sense. That is all, it is what it is, nothing more nothing less.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM

143 posts, read 187,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Ok. The point I am making is that this thread comparing Indianapolis and Louisville is ludicrous and a more viable thread comapring Indianapolis to somewhere else in the Midwest would have made a lot more sense. That is all, it is what it is, nothing more nothing less.
Gotcha.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,750,251 times
Quote:
What?!?! Sister Cities??? I would say that Indianapolis and Columbus are more like sister cities than Louisville and Indianapolis are or ever will be. Columbus is Midwestern, Louisville is SOUTHERN, Both Indianapolis and Columbus have more in Common with one another than Louisville has with Indianapolis. Think About It. You cannot compare apples and oranges, and therefore you cannot compare a southern city with a midwestern city, Sorry to burst your bubble, but It would be far more logical and reasonable for Louisville and Cincinnati to work together as "sister cities". By the way, I would rather live in Louisville, especially after seeing Indianapolis undergoing an apparent death spiral of crime and decay for the last several years in a row now.
I agree with you on a few points, but Louisville is not nearly as southern as you make it out to be.

Louisville is not much like Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Charleston, or Columbia. Louisville is decidedly more midwestern than most southern cities, with a tinge of southerness about it.

I do agree that Louisville's closest sister city would probably be Cincy, just as Indy is to Columbus. Crime in Indianapolis is being greatly inflated, and it's not as if there aren't problematic areas in Louisville too.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,750,251 times
Quote:
The poster can compare Indianapolis to whatever city they want. Why does it matter if one is in Kentucky and one is in Indiana? It's not like we are comparing Anchorage to Orlando.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,421 times
Greetings,

I am a chiropractor from Michigan looking to purchase a practice. There is one in Fishers, and one in Fern Creek. So comparing these two cities is exactly what I have been trying to do for the past month. Thank you to everyone that has posted on this topic and related topics as I feel I have gleaned a bit more understanding of the areas involved.

We have 3 kids under 6. We are not interested in the nightlife. Our interests are more along the lines of raising our family, things like safety, activities for the kids, a good church, healthy food choices, and places to hike or be active. Any help, ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 PM

1,136 posts, read 857,702 times
I lived in Louisville 17 years and Indianapolis (Fishers/Noblesville/Indy) for 10. I despised Indianapolis and couldn't wait to leave. It's flat, they get more tornados, more snow, and there's less natural beauty than Louisville.

Indy has a fantastic art museum, children's museum, incredibly cheap housing and a better overall downtown than Louisville, but that's really it. If you don't like the local sports, you're screwed in terms of things to do, other than escape to Chicago (which is what I always said was the best thing about Indy, only 3 hr drive (or 45 min flight) from Chicago).

I think Louisvillians have more civic pride and are a much friendlier bunch if you're moving to an area and socializing is important to you. Louisville has much less crime and as stated earlier, the bad areas are well confined. Indy has bad areas pretty much all over the metro map inside the 465 loop.

I live in California now also, but if the job market in Louisville continues to improve, I might consider moving back at some point. When my wife visited Indiana for the first time she asked me how I could stand to live there for even a year, let alone 10. She loves Louisville as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM

22,311 posts, read 16,476,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I lived in Louisville 17 years and Indianapolis (Fishers/Noblesville/Indy) for 10. I despised Indianapolis and couldn't wait to leave. It's flat, they get more tornados, more snow, and there's less natural beauty than Louisville.

Indy has a fantastic art museum, children's museum, incredibly cheap housing and a better overall downtown than Louisville, but that's really it. If you don't like the local sports, you're screwed in terms of things to do, other than escape to Chicago (which is what I always said was the best thing about Indy, only 3 hr drive (or 45 min flight) from Chicago).

I think Louisvillians have more civic pride and are a much friendlier bunch if you're moving to an area and socializing is important to you. Louisville has much less crime and as stated earlier, the bad areas are well confined. Indy has bad areas pretty much all over the metro map inside the 465 loop.

I live in California now also, but if the job market in Louisville continues to improve, I might consider moving back at some point. When my wife visited Indiana for the first time she asked me how I could stand to live there for even a year, let alone 10. She loves Louisville as well.
I think part of the problem is that Indy just doesn't have a hip side to it like Louisville. A place like the Broad Ripple strip comes off as cheesy and many of the "up and coming" city neighborhoods have to deal with the crime.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,999,725 times
Quote:

Such a shame that our city isn't completely segregated by race or socioeconomic status like Louisville.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM

798 posts, read 1,974,744 times
The poster mentioned some good things about Indy as well. No need to try to dis one place just because somebody didn't think another was perfect. I agree Louisville is a bit segmented in terms of race and economic status, but a lot of cities are. Indy included. Looking at the metros you can see Indy has predominately black areas along and south of 38th street. Economically, the further north you go, the higher the average income gets. It also gets a lot whiter. In Louisville, it's east instead. Hispanics are concentrated west of downtown Indy along Washington St. In Louisville, they have niches as well. I don't necessarily agree that people in Indy are unfriendly and there are certainly things to do besides sports, but this person isn't completely out of line with some of his other comments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkin...-8Afdry-9tmUnw

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkin...57626354149574

As a comparison, NYC and Washington DC are extremely segregated by race and socioeconomic status, much more so than either Louisville or Indy, and yet they're held in much higher esteem as centers of multiculturalism. Nobody is crying about what a shame it is that NYC is 'completely segregated by race or socioeconomic status' so I'm not sure how you think downing Louisville as being slightly segregated is somehow a compliment toward Indy, especially when Indy's own map doesn't look that much better.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

61 posts, read 97,963 times
Quote:

Indy has a fantastic art museum, children's museum, incredibly cheap housing and a better overall downtown than Louisville, but that's really it. If you don't like the local sports, you're screwed in terms of things to do, other than escape to Chicago.
This is true about the sports. You can only go the Art Museum so many times. I find that people in Indy don't care about much of anything besides sports, and the ones who do, they're hard to find. At least that's been my experience.

But I think the natural areas around Indy are competitive with anything around Louisville. It does seem like it takes way longer to get out of the Indy metro area than it does to get out of Louisville, and the edges of Indy seem a concrete or suburban monstrosity in comparison. But compare that to holy Chicagoland.

Quote:
I think Louisvillians have more civic pride and are a much friendlier bunch if you're moving to an area and socializing is important to you.
I lived briefly in Louisville and found that Louisvillians either loved their city to point of arrogance, or had big self-esteem issues about it, which I think is of probably every city I've ever lived in, North South East and Midwest. I will say that I think that, for all the stereotypes about hicks and rednecks that Kentucky receives, Indianapolis feels way trashier to me than Louisville. But even in some of the trashiest parts of Indy, people here are really friendly. The "colder" parts of Indianapolis have always struck me as being around Carmel and the Keeping up with the Stepfords suburban Nowheresvilles.

Quote:
I think if most people in America knew about Louisville from direct experience and not from hearsay about "Oh, Kentucky must be so rednecky", they'd move there in droves. Less true of Indy. But I've always thought Indianapolis has the basic infrastructure to be a first-rate American city. It just isn't yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City