U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM

4,631 posts, read 3,672,122 times

Advertisements

I like Louisville better. It is friendlier and has more culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 07:38 PM

8,332 posts, read 13,810,559 times
Want to Try the Most Exciting Food in America? Leave New York City.
Smaller cities like Philadelphia, Indianapolis, and Asheville are where the culinary heat is right now.

Old Today, 02:45 AM

9 posts, read 618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I like Louisville better. It is friendlier and has more culture.
Friendliness and culture are largely subjective concepts. What you consider to be culturally significant someone else may dismiss. That is what is great about American cities. They are diverse and people gravitate to the city that hopefully aligns with their ideals and desires and provides them with the quality of life they are seeking. This is the main reason city compassions are largely irrelevant. What one perceives as a pro someone else may perceive as a con. That is life. I don't see it as one has to be better than the other. They are different and offer different experiences.

Old Today, 07:25 AM

22,157 posts, read 16,328,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdavid1982 View Post
But fishers is BORING. It is typical suburbia. In my opinion, Carmel/Fishers is way over rated. Just because you get a lot of development doesn't make it interesting. Sure, you have all the chain restaurants and an Ikea but at the end of the day, nothing really sets it apart from any other growing suburb. Every housing addition is a replica of every other housing addition in middle America. If that is your jam, go for it. I think Louisville offers a bit more in this area.
I used to live in Carmel. While I'm not a big fan of Fishers, saying that it isn't growing or doing better than most suburbs is ridiculous. The south side suburbs never get the amenities as quickly as Carmel and Fishers do, if they get them at all. Carmel is very exclusive. There's nothing similar to it in the entire state of Kentucky.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdavid1982 View Post
Friendliness and culture are largely subjective concepts. What you consider to be culturally significant someone else may dismiss. That is what is great about American cities. They are diverse and people gravitate to the city that hopefully aligns with their ideals and desires and provides them with the quality of life they are seeking. This is the main reason city compassions are largely irrelevant. What one perceives as a pro someone else may perceive as a con. That is life. I don't see it as one has to be better than the other. They are different and offer different experiences.
I am not changing my answer because you don't like it. If comparisons were "largely irrelevant" as you stated, then city-data would have no reason to exist. I chose Louisville and that's that.

Old Today, 08:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I used to live in Carmel. While I'm not a big fan of Fishers, saying that it isn't growing or doing better than most suburbs is ridiculous. The south side suburbs never get the amenities as quickly as Carmel and Fishers do, if they get them at all. Carmel is very exclusive. There's nothing similar to it in the entire state of Kentucky.
Disagree.

Prospect/Norton Commons/Goshen/Crestwood are very similar. That sliver of NE Louisville suburbs feels like Carmel with less office park sprawl and IMO that is a good thing. Reminds me of Carmel in 1990s before it really blew up. Norton Commons is very similar to what they are doing in the core of Carmel. I have lived in both areas and am in Indy almost monthly.

If you mean KY has no Hamilton Co, IN, I agree there. Louisville's closest suburb, Oldham County, has barely 25% the population (Hamilton is also geographically much bigger).

Old Today, 10:32 PM

9 posts, read 618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am not changing my answer because you don't like it. If comparisons were "largely irrelevant" as you stated, then city-data would have no reason to exist. I chose Louisville and that's that.
No one asked you to change your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City