U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,722,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
Can someone please tell me how Louisville has a better food scene than Indianapolis because I've lived in both places and just don't see it. If you're not finding good unique eateries in Indy then you just aren't looking hard enough. There are wonderful places all over the city.
For one, it was named one of the foodiest cities in America last year. The combination of southern soul food, various international cuisines, and the artsy-newer-fusion places completely rocket Louisville up a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM

261 posts, read 422,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Agreed. And saying indy is bland is not really a knock, just calling the shots like i see it. There are lots of other economically successful cities which i consider bland...charlotte and jacksonville come to mind. I believe the secret on louisville is out and its growth will be closer to indys this decade...but louisvilles lack of a hamilton county in its metro really adds to the vitality of the urban core even if it hurts the msa growth rate

Louisville's growth won't touch Indy's this decade. If anything, the gap between Indy and Louisville will just get even more wider. Where are the Hamilton, Hendricks, and Johnson counties in the Louisville area? Louisville won't be able to touch the massive growth that those counties will have by the year 2020.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM

261 posts, read 422,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
For one, it was named one of the foodiest cities in America last year. The combination of southern soul food, various international cuisines, and the artsy-newer-fusion places completely rocket Louisville up a bit.

Meh, Indy has good soul food and has great international cuisine all over the place. Indy has all the bases covered in the food department.

I'm not trying to discount Louisville as I definitely agree that it is a wonderful food city. I'm just saying that I don't think there's any type of restaurant in Louisville that cant' be found in Indy.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
Meh, Indy has good soul food and has great international cuisine all over the place. Indy has all the bases covered in the food department.

I'm not trying to discount Louisville as I definitely agree that it is a wonderful food city. I'm just saying that I don't think there's any type of restaurant in Louisville that cant' be found in Indy.
Does Indy have a Dragon King's Daughter-like restaurant?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,759,535 times
Quote:
Does Indy have a Dragon King's Daughter-like restaurant?
Is that the place that puts sushi ingredients on a rectangle and calls it "pizza?"

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Is that the place that puts sushi ingredients on a rectangle and calls it "pizza?"
My favorite thing from there is the tuna tataki tacos... corn tortillas with ahi sashimi, garlic chips, and various other toppings you can get... good with the wasabi salsa

Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,759,535 times
Quote:
My favorite thing from there is the tuna tataki tacos... corn tortillas with ahi sashimi, garlic chips, and various other toppings you can get... good with the wasabi salsa
I have not tried any of their tacos yet, sounds like I will have to next time I am down there. I love their sushi and especially the sushi "pizzas" are amazing!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,225,906 times
Not all growth is good growth. For example, back about five years ago, Nobleville had one apartment complex that was pretty much all lower income. I have now found out that in addition to this lower income complex, an additional five or six other complexes have set aside at least some units for lower income families. These properties usually always end up as a costs to other taxpayers. Given the usual behavior of lower income people, cops get a lot of calls from these places. The Noblesville cops were constantly dealing with petty BS at the one complex. It was almost a nightly thing some weeks.

Fishers is also having some lower income properties sprouting up. Until proven otherwise, I really believe that a portion of the crime in Fishers can be tied into some of the lower income properties that are sprouting up.

Not sure if Louisville is experiencing the same explosion of suburban gov. subsidized living or not. If so, crime will likely follow.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
Sorry to bump such an old thread to the top of the forum, but figured I'd ask for feedback myself given that it's been almost three years since the last post and things may have changed since then. In the near future I will be moving to either Indianapolis or Louisville and won't have the opportunity to travel to either location and scout them out in advance, so I figured I might as well post here for some outside opinions (and for what it's worth, I'm already leaning towards Indianapolis).

As my wife and I will be coming from El Paso, TX, either city will offer more than we could ever hope for here, as we truly are in the middle of nowhere (takes a 4 hour drive to get to the nearest major cities). While my wife has lived in El Paso her whole life, I've spent the majority of it in Burton, MI, Chillicothe, OH, and Miamisburg, OH and liked all three far more than El Paso (though Chillicothe less than the others due to its small size). So for me, I'm viewing this as more of a return to 'home' and she's coming from the perspective of escape. I've seen some negative comments in this thread and others about suburbs in general, but as that is more or less what I'm accustomed to, that's not really an issue for me. I don't see myself actively seeking out an urban environment.

Preliminary info aside, I suppose one of the things that causes me the most frustration anywhere would stem from traffic, so my first question would be which city has the more palatable traffic situation? Beyond that, as a personal reference point, I would assume winter in Indianapolis is pretty similar to winter in the Dayton area, correct?

As far as what I'm looking for in a city? Well again, coming from El Paso, the drive between Indianapolis and Louisville will seem like nothing compared to what we have to do to get somewhere where we're currently at, so whatever one has that the other doesn't won't really play a huge role. We're generally go with the flow kind of people, so whichever we choose, we'd be looking for somewhere pretty tranquil. We're not really the type to seek out bars or nightlife, so those aren't really considerations either. I'd bring up safety, but I've not heard horrible stories out of either city so I'd have to assume they're both largely safe (though obviously any city has its good areas and bad areas).

From what I've written it doesn't really seem like I have many considerations to sway me one way or the other, I guess. As stated, I am leaning towards Indianapolis already, and that's largely due to Dayton being 2 hours away and Burton just about 4.5 hours away, which puts me closest to my sister and aunts/uncles respectively.

This is my first major move on my own (city-to-city moves previously were with my family), so if there's anything else I should take into consideration, please feel free to enlighten me and help make your case for one of these two cities. Sorry if I've rambled, but hopefully you forum-dwellers can help sway my decision one way or the other.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,078,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discardedwolf View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread to the top of the forum, but figured I'd ask for feedback myself given that it's been almost three years since the last post and things may have changed since then. In the near future I will be moving to either Indianapolis or Louisville and won't have the opportunity to travel to either location and scout them out in advance, so I figured I might as well post here for some outside opinions (and for what it's worth, I'm already leaning towards Indianapolis).

As my wife and I will be coming from El Paso, TX, either city will offer more than we could ever hope for here, as we truly are in the middle of nowhere (takes a 4 hour drive to get to the nearest major cities). While my wife has lived in El Paso her whole life, I've spent the majority of it in Burton, MI, Chillicothe, OH, and Miamisburg, OH and liked all three far more than El Paso (though Chillicothe less than the others due to its small size). So for me, I'm viewing this as more of a return to 'home' and she's coming from the perspective of escape. I've seen some negative comments in this thread and others about suburbs in general, but as that is more or less what I'm accustomed to, that's not really an issue for me. I don't see myself actively seeking out an urban environment.

Preliminary info aside, I suppose one of the things that causes me the most frustration anywhere would stem from traffic, so my first question would be which city has the more palatable traffic situation? Beyond that, as a personal reference point, I would assume winter in Indianapolis is pretty similar to winter in the Dayton area, correct?

As far as what I'm looking for in a city? Well again, coming from El Paso, the drive between Indianapolis and Louisville will seem like nothing compared to what we have to do to get somewhere where we're currently at, so whatever one has that the other doesn't won't really play a huge role. We're generally go with the flow kind of people, so whichever we choose, we'd be looking for somewhere pretty tranquil. We're not really the type to seek out bars or nightlife, so those aren't really considerations either. I'd bring up safety, but I've not heard horrible stories out of either city so I'd have to assume they're both largely safe (though obviously any city has its good areas and bad areas).

From what I've written it doesn't really seem like I have many considerations to sway me one way or the other, I guess. As stated, I am leaning towards Indianapolis already, and that's largely due to Dayton being 2 hours away and Burton just about 4.5 hours away, which puts me closest to my sister and aunts/uncles respectively.

This is my first major move on my own (city-to-city moves previously were with my family), so if there's anything else I should take into consideration, please feel free to enlighten me and help make your case for one of these two cities. Sorry if I've rambled, but hopefully you forum-dwellers can help sway my decision one way or the other.
I also moved here from Texas (San Antonio), and I am a HUGE fan of both cities, but I would go with Indy.

Indy and Louisville are just about equal with all things considered, but Indy is a little bit bigger, has a few more amenities, and is closer (and a very easy drive) to Chicago.

You can't go wrong either way, but Indy is a bit of a step up from Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City