Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times

Advertisements

It all depends on what you want to do in life. Do you have money? Do you like spending money on things like eating out at fancy restaurants, museums, sporting events, etc.?? What do you plan on doing, then look at what each city offers in the categories you choose. If you are more into cheaper things to do, especially outdoor things, I would say Louisville may beat Indy, just in terms of drive time to various outdoor areas. Really though, we are only talking 90mins. drive time between the two area themselves so even that really isn't that big of a deal. There seems to be more mountainous type areas closer to Louisville than there is near Indy. I've heard KY state parks blow IN state parks out of the water. I'm planning future trips to Red River Gorge and Cumberland Falls.

I think it would be a question of what does Indy have (pro-sports, bigger airport--?, more museums, more selection of restaurants, more school choice in the metro area, etc) that is better than Louisville, and how important are those things to you?

I would also look at the tax situation in each area. Right now, Indiana has capped property taxes at 1% of assessed value. Income taxes in Indiana don't seem to be too bad. Sales taxes have been creeping up here and there. How much is housing in each area? Also, is there a chance that you may end up living in KY and working in S. Indiana? Or living in Indiana and working in KY? How will that play out? Also weather. Louisville always seems to be about five degrees warmer than Indy, and sometimes even 10+ degrees warmer. Not sure how much snow they get compared to us.

If your more of a homebody, don't have or want to spend $$$$$$ on stuff and activities, I would live where it would be cheapest to live given safety, ability to save money, overall economic picture, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Not anymore now that Yum is open. That said, the kind of concerts Yum is now drawing are not what makes Louisville unique. I believe the poster is stating the underground, indie, and local music scene is better...which it undoubtedly is. Before YUM, Indy got substantially more of the "big name" corporate acts. I think that is changing, but Indy still gets more "big name" acts....something many Louisvillians could care less about. You guys can have Lady Gaga. Indy does have some nice local venues especially the Murat. I have seen many shows at that place!
Huh? That's an odd comment considering Lady Gaga is coming to Louisville this weekend.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Huh? That's an odd comment considering Lady Gaga is coming to Louisville this weekend.
I know. I guess you guys just do not understand my post. Louisville never got concerts like that before Yum. Now they are getting a few "big name" acts but that is not what Louisville is about.

To respond to the posters above....nowhere did I knock Indy. I think Louisville is just the more culturally dominant and interesting city. Indy is a nice place...but a bit bland IMO. One can easily say that Louisville doesn't have the "name brand" and also chains, shopping, and pro sports as Indy. And I don't think Louisvillians take that as a knock (I do not live there anymore to be honest).

Also, to further reiterate, the Highlands and its subsets is so big that it has as much old urban housing stock, bars, and restaurants as almost all of Indy's urban nabes combined (well ones that arent in the ghetto).

Also to the above poster who mentioned Dixie Highway, you sort of left out some pretty important important areas. For example, there is nothing in Indy like the stretch from Clifton to Crescent Hill, all the way out to the heart of St. Matthews. Even areas like Beechmont (which is probably sixth tier urban neighborhood) are garnering a kitchy, indie feel and are not to far behind a very small district like Fountain Square in Indy. And also what is probably not even realized is Louisville's old Indiana suburbs, especially Jeff and New Albany, have some interesting dining, art, and restaurants scenes building, especially downtown New Albany.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM

156 posts, read 318,013 times
I'm not from Indianapolis, but I've visited the city numerous times and really enjoy the place. I know alot of Indy's detractors say that it feels bland and suburban, but compared to where I'm from (rural Illinois, which is about as redneck, sparsely populated, boring, and economically depressed as you can get), it feels like NYC. I've never visited Louisville, but from what I can tell, it has more history to it because it is an older city than Indy. This needs to be taken into account because Indianapolis is a fairly new city that doesn't have the history and older housing stock that Louisville has. But from what I can tell, Indy is taking steps to improve its urban neighborhoods. Plus, there are plenty of non-chain restaurants and and stores in Indy as well.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
To respond to the posters above....nowhere did I knock Indy. I think Louisville is just the more culturally dominant and interesting city. Indy is a nice place...but a bit bland IMO.
Notice a pattern here? You claim not to knock Indy and then knock it within the next sentence. Definitely is still an underhanded condescension to your posts.

Indy's museums overall blow Louisville's out of the water, as does its symphony. It has a world-renowned violin competition, and gets bigger far bigger names from the classical world (no doubt due in part to the proximity of IU).

Louisville probably does have a bigger indie music scene and some far superior music stores; Indy has more highbrow stuff. But if the Yum Center is doing well and bringing in crowds, then you can't claim it's a deviation and not reflective of the "real" Louisville. It's just as much the real Louisville as My Morning Jacket or Bonnie Prince Billy is. I don't know enough to make a comparison between their art scenes: I suspect both are budding and pretty comparable.

Louisville's vibrant neighborhoods owe at least a little to intense segregation. They are pretty great--better than most of Indy's--but the line between rich and poor, black and white, etc etc, is on par with Chicago (which also has great neighborhoods...on its north side!). And very few of Indy's much more integrated urban neighborhoods are getting worse. I wonder if the West End of Louisville will ever experience a rebirth--sure hope it does.

That said, most cities further east would put Indy and Louisville's hoods to shame. It all comes with age of the building stock and when their growth patterns peaked--before or after the automobile.

I'd say in most regards it's a fair trade-off, so some even-handedness is in order.

Last edited by chalcedony; 03-10-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
This thread seems to confirm what I've always thought: that Indy tends to be much more connected to Louisville compared to the cities in its own state (Gary, South Bend, Fort Wayne, etc). I wouldn't be able to name a specific reason why, though.

As for the poll: I believe Louisville is a solid city, but it isn't really on the same level as Indy overall, and, no offense, the gap widens every decade.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM

261 posts, read 500,849 times
To all those who call Indy a "chain city", some easy googling will turn you on to wonderful unique restaurants all over the city. I've ate at some great ethnic restaurants here that are just as good as restaurants I've ate at in any other large city. Yes, Indy has a lot of chains, but show be a suburban American area that doesn't. Indy being a "chain city" is due to the large suburban growth. Go to a place like Atlanta and you see chain after chain in it's suburbs too.

Indy's metro area is growing leaps and bounds over Louisville's. The Indy metro area is about 500,000 people larger than Louisville. Indy had 14% growth from 00-09 while Louisville just had just 8%. Indy added 200,000 residents in it's metro area while Louisville added just under 100,000. There is no Hamilton County in Louisville. No place like Carmel or Fishers. Louisville doesn't have suburban counties that are growing at the rate of the doughnut counties in Indy. Hamilton, Hendricks, Johnson...those places are growing at a big rate. As time goes on, the population gap between Indy and Louisville will just get bigger and bigger.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 PM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
indianapolis msa in 2000 was 1,525,000.comprised of 8 counties..that same area had a 2010 census count of 1,699,000 for a growth of around 175,000...2 counties were added brown and putnam to bring the msa to around 1,750,000.the size of the msa's around the us is getting to be ridiculous and a poor indicator of a metro areas true population imo.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
indianapolis msa in 2000 was 1,525,000.comprised of 8 counties..that same area had a 2010 census count of 1,699,000 for a growth of around 175,000...2 counties were added brown and putnam to bring the msa to around 1,750,000.the size of the msa's around the us is getting to be ridiculous and a poor indicator of a metro areas true population imo.
My understand was that a few years ago, maybe even as long ago as the last census, that they dropped Madison County and added Putnam. My understanding is that it has to do with the % of residents that drive into the city for work. If a certain % list themselves as Indy commuters, then they decide that county is part of the "metro area." I found it ridiculous that Madison County was dropped. They have over a hundred thousand people up there, and most are within a 20ish. min drive to Indy's NW side.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Culture, History, Built Environment, Foodie Scene, Music Scene, Hills= advantage Louisville

Pro Sports, Economic Performance, Modernity, Income Growth= advantage Indianapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City