U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM

19 posts, read 93,792 times

Advertisements

looking to move to one of these two metros in the near future. i LOVED downtown Indy but was also impressed with Louisville. give me feedback!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,759,535 times
I like both places.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,598,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mEYEke812 View Post
looking to move to one of these two metros in the near future. i LOVED downtown Indy but was also impressed with Louisville. give me feedback!!!
I'm an Indy guy, but I have no problem with Louisville. Can you provide us with a list of criteria that matters most to you?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 PM

261 posts, read 422,408 times
I've lived in both and like both. I prefer Indy, but could easily see where one would prefer Louisville. Overall, both have the same feel to them and the quality of life in both is pretty much the same.

Indy is more "Big League." Louisville has the Derby, but Indy has the 500, pro football and basketball, Final Fours, a Super Bowl, etc.

Louisville is a more "pretty place." Louisville has a beautiful location on the river and with Floyds Knobs as a backdrop. Indy is in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing "pretty" about it.

Indy has the better downtown, though Louisville is making huge steps with 4th Street Live and the KFC Yum Center.

Louisville probably has more distinct neighborhoods throughout the city than Indy does.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM

I'll also add that Bardstown Rd. blows Broad Ripple out of the water. Bigger, more bars, more restaurants, more shops, more character, more everything....

Indy has much bigger suburbs. There is no Hamilton County equivalent in the Louisville area. Nothing like Carmel or Fishers.

Indy has better museums. Louisville doesn't have anything that can touch the IMA (which is frankly one of the nicest museums you'll find in the entire country...)

Indy has more crime it seems. Indy has a lot more murders, sometimes almost double what Louisville has. And Indy obviously isn't twice as big as Louisville. What's nice about Louisville is that the bad areas are pretty segregated (i.e. the West End) wherein Indy there are bad spots scattered all across the city. In Indy there will be a decent neighborhood just blocks away from a horrible one. In Louisville the West End is bad and there are a couple of rough spots near downtown but overall most of the murders and crime are in the West End.

I'd say traffic in Louisville is actually worse, despite Indy being a bigger area. The lack of bridges in Louisville creates severe bottle-necking in the Spaghetti-junction area. Spaghetti junction is much worse than the north and south splits in downtown Indy. I-65 is actually more intense driving through Louisville than it is Indy.

Last edited by indy18; 03-08-2011 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,759,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I'll also add that Bardstown Rd. blows Broad Ripple out of the water. Bigger, more bars, more restaurants, more shops, more character, more everything....
This is not a comparison I ever get. The Highlands in Louisville feel to me more like what the "South Broad Ripple" area is going for. The Highlands and Broad Ripple are different, yet, it seems these are the areas that people bring up as comparison when the subject comes up. The Highlands are great for what it is, and so is Broad Ripple.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,722,188 times
I live in Louisville and have been to Indy several times. Indy has many more "city amenities" than Louisville (sports teams, shopping, etc.)... with that said, Louisville does have the better riverfront, a great parks system, and a wonderful foodie/restaurant/arts culture.

They both are great cities, but I'd give the edge to Indy.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Something tells me the results of this poll would be different if this were asked on the Louisville forum. Ha.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM

423 posts, read 1,075,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
What's nice about Louisville is that the bad areas are pretty segregated (i.e. the West End) wherein Indy there are bad spots scattered all across the city. In Indy there will be a decent neighborhood just blocks away from a horrible one. In Louisville the West End is bad and there are a couple of rough spots near downtown but overall most of the murders and crime are in the West End.

What an interesting take on things. You're probably right about this in terms of segregation--but most people wouldn't see the segregation in Louisville as a good thing, at least from a racial angle. Louisville clearly has "a white side" (east) and "a black side" (west), which unfortunately all too often equates to the rich side and poor side. By contrast, I've read several reports that Indianapolis is one of the least segregated big cities in the North. It's hard to pin down certain parts of town in Indy in terms of race--any race.

In the end, this may go hand-in-hand with the feeling that Louisville has better urban neighborhoods. If you only see "the white side" of Louisville, the neighborhoods are pretty fantastic because many of them never really fully went downhill. In Indy, most of the urban neighborhoods that are trendy these days did go downhill but are coming back.

But I'd agree with the poster who said these sort of city-by-city polls are kind of silly. Of course you'll get a biased response here, just as you would on the Louisville forum...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,075,870 times
While on the subject, did anyone see this recent New York Times article about Indy's ethnic restaurant scene?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/dining/23united.html

It's hard to imagine such an article getting written even five years ago, but the changes I've noticed particularly VERY recently have been terrific. Even more remarkable is the fact that the biggest improvements have occurred during a serious recession. Up until recently, I think Louisville would have been far more likely to get national attention for its restaurants. But the changes along College Avenue in South Broad Ripple and then on Virginia Avenue in Fountain Square have both been pretty great--and those don't even account for the eclectic offerings in the more suburban setting of Eagledale/Lafayette Square. Even downtown seems a bit less dominated by chains than it was just a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City