Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 PM

929 posts, read 1,897,065 times

Advertisements

List the malls or shopping centers in the US that give off an intensely cosmopolitan vibe (i.e. patrons from all over the world, patrons who are relatively wealthy, presence of international designers, many different languages spoken, etc.)

My top five are:
1. Tysons Corner Center (McLean, Virginia)
2. Garden State Plaza (Paramus, New Jersey)
3. South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, California)
4. Westfield San Francisco Centre (San Francisco, California)
5. Aventura Mall (Aventura, Florida)

Last edited by bballniket; 03-09-2011 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times
imHo, the very top of the top when it comes to malls with the wealthies clientele of all racial groups are:
(In no particular order)
Ala Moana, Honolulu
Forum Shops at Ceaser's Palace, Las Vegas
South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA
Bal Harbor Shops, Bal Harbor, FL
Americana at Manhasset, Manhasset, NY

Valley Fair in San Jose, Tysons Corner in Virginia and the like are all very upscale too but they dont have as many uber high end boutiques that the ones above have. At least in my experience.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM

yeah 18Montclair, I definitely agree with your list regarding malls with the wealthiest clientele, but I guess I was looking for malls that combined both wealthy AND international/ethnically diverse clientele...I feel like Tysons Corner Center tops the list if you're looking for malls that serve both a very affluent AND racially diverse/international population...I guess I'm looking for malls in which you'll see throngs of rich people from all over Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Europe, Oceania, etc...can't say I've seen any with the type of scope of international wealth that I have at Tyson's Corner Center

Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM

239 posts, read 304,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
yeah 18Montclair, I definitely agree with your list regarding malls with the wealthiest clientele, but I guess I was looking for malls that combined both wealthy AND international/ethnically diverse clientele...I feel like Tysons Corner Center tops the list if you're looking for malls that serve both a very affluent AND racially diverse/international population...I guess I'm looking for malls in which you'll see throngs of rich people from all over Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Europe, Oceania, etc...can't say I've seen any with the type of scope of international wealth that I have at Tyson's Corner Center
You need to visit other malls then.

No international wealth in international hot spots like New York, Miami, Honolulu, Los Angeles?

I'd place Tyson's Corner somewhere at the bottom in terms of "luxury malls". It simply cannot compete with the likes of Forum Shops, Bal Harbor, Americana Manhasset, South Coast and Ala Moana when it comes to content and wealthy (and yes, international) clientele.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 AM

Does Bal Harbor have more diverse patrons than Aventura Mall? I'm sure it has more luxury stores...

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 AM

14,176 posts, read 22,662,952 times
Three words: King of Prussia.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Houston's Galleria definately deserves a mention here. Lots of wealthy Latin Americans from Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, and Central America go there to spend money while in town. Plus alot of stores there have one of their few US locations there.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
imHo, the very top of the top when it comes to malls with the wealthies clientele of all racial groups are:
(In no particular order)
Ala Moana, Honolulu
Forum Shops at Ceaser's Palace, Las Vegas
South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA
Bal Harbor Shops, Bal Harbor, FL
Americana at Manhasset, Manhasset, NY

Valley Fair in San Jose, Tysons Corner in Virginia and the like are all very upscale too but they dont have as many uber high end boutiques that the ones above have. At least in my experience.
These. I think that The Grove at Farmers' Market in L.A. is an up-and-comer, too.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,760,780 times
King of Prussia closely followed by South Coast Plaza are the tops in this catagory. (most sq ft and variety/quantity of luxury stores) Perhaps not the richest patrons because they both get a lot of tourists mixed in.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,926,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Does Bal Harbor have more diverse patrons than Aventura Mall? I'm sure it has more luxury stores...
Bal Harbor is more luxurious hands down. Most stores will have their sales people dressed in suits. However, Aventura Mall is much larger and attracts a more diverse and international crowd.

Ala Moana is like an open air version of Aventura Mall. Bal Harbor is on an other level; think Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City