Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times

Advertisements

Famous Firsts from Chicago:

-zipper
-skyscraper
-McDonalds (first example of the McD's franchise model, the first McD's was a local joint in San Bernadino CA)
-grain silo
-Ferris Wheel
-deep dish pizza
-vacuum cleaner
-electric dishwasher
-open heart surgery
-softball
-blood banks
-Pullman sleeping cars
-daytime soaps
-Cracker Jack
-car radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Chicago's two biggest being Skyscrapers & Playboy.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The foundation of the modern world.

The US
Fourth of July
The first University inthe US
The Stove
The computer
Bi-focals
First planned city in the US
First suspension bridge
US Marines
The first Zoo
The first fire dapartment
Daylight savings time
First brick house in the US
First Almanac
first stock exchange
The first public school
The first hospital in the US
The lightning rod
The US flag

and much much more, just look it up.
Not to mention the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
And from my original hometown of Indianapolis:

-gatling gun

-Wonder Bread

-a host of things that were developed to win the Indy 500, the first of which was the rear view mirror

-several innovations from Eli Lilly, including: insulin (both first synthetic and human DNA forms), gelatin capsules, long acting oral penicillin, Ceclor (world's best selling anitbiotic), discovery of erythromycin, and Prozac.

-several innovations from Carl Fisher/James Allison, including: first commercially viable automotive head lamps, first transcontinental highways (Dixie and Lincoln), and the development of a swamp near a beach in Florida that settled what is now known as Miami Beach.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The foundation of the modern world.

The US
Philadelphia on its own did not invent the United States, in fact by definition Philadelphia could not have invented the United States

Quote:
Fourth of July
The celebration or the day? I have no idea where it was first celebrated but I imagine in multiple cities though it could have first been celebrated only in Philly I find it hard to believe without citation.

Quote:
The first University inthe US
This is not an invention

Quote:
The Stove
Original stoves were invented by the Chinese and modern stoves first appeared in France.

Quote:
The computer
Was invented by Charles Babbage in London

Quote:
Bi-focals
Somewhat debateable as we know Benjamin Franklin is generally attributed for this but not universally accepted by historians. I'll give it to you though.

Quote:
First planned city in the US
Not an invention nor accurate. New Haven would be the oldest in the original colonies and St. Augustine would be the oldest in the nation.

Quote:
First suspension bridge
The first suspension bridge was in Tibet. The first modern suspension bridge is in western Pennsylvania nowhere near Philly.

Quote:
US Marines
Agreed

Quote:
The first Zoo
The first zoos date back to ancient times and the first modern zoo is in Austria.

Quote:
The first fire dapartment
The first fire department was in Ancient Rome.

Quote:
Daylight savings time
Was created by George Hudson an Englishman living in New Zealand

Quote:
First brick house in the US
Not an invention

Quote:
First Almanac
Really? Babylonians had alamanacs but you're going to say Philly invented it. Nice try.

Quote:
first stock exchange
Dutch East India Company in Amsterdam was the first modern stock exchange.

Quote:
The first public school
Thomas Paine created the idea, I have not found an article to validate or invalidate so I will call it false until you show a citation otherwise.

Quote:
The first hospital in the US
Not an invention

Quote:
The lightning rod
The oldest lightning rods are in Sri Lanka. Moderns ones are disputed between Russia and Benjamin Franklin.

Quote:
The US flag
Fair enough

Quote:
and much much more, just look it up.
I did.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersdrift View Post
philadelphia on its own did not invent the united states, in fact by definition philadelphia could not have invented the united states

the celebration or the day? I have no idea where it was first celebrated but i imagine in multiple cities though it could have first been celebrated only in philly i find it hard to believe without citation.

This is not an invention

original stoves were invented by the chinese and modern stoves first appeared in france.

Was invented by charles babbage in london

somewhat debateable as we know benjamin franklin is generally attributed for this but not universally accepted by historians. I'll give it to you though.

Not an invention nor accurate. New haven would be the oldest in the original colonies and st. Augustine would be the oldest in the nation.

The first suspension bridge was in tibet. The first modern suspension bridge is in western pennsylvania nowhere near philly.

Agreed

the first zoos date back to ancient times and the first modern zoo is in austria.

The first fire department was in ancient rome.

Was created by george hudson an englishman living in new zealand

not an invention

really? Babylonians had alamanacs but you're going to say philly invented it. Nice try.

Dutch east india company in amsterdam was the first modern stock exchange.

Thomas paine created the idea, i have not found an article to validate or invalidate so i will call it false until you show a citation otherwise.

Not an invention

the oldest lightning rods are in sri lanka. Moderns ones are disputed between russia and benjamin franklin.

Fair enough

i did.
winning

Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Me!

/thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Philadelphia Inventions and Creations

Important Documents Created in Philadelphia

-The Declaration of Independence
-The Bill of Rights
-The United States Constitution
-The Articles of Confederation
-The Federalist Papers
-Common Sense
-The Philadelphia Negro
-many more

Inventions

-Franklin Stove
-Bifocals
-lightening rod
-glass harmonica
-carriage odometer
-The World's First Computer, ENIAC
-swimming fins
-American flag

American Firsts (they may not be inventions, but they were certainly creations and being the first institutions of their kind in American and in some cases the first such institutions in the world is a very notable achievement. anyone who hate on this list is obviously just jealous)

-Public Library
-zoo
-fire insurance company
-volunteer fire department
-university
-hospital
-integrated school
-african american lending institution
-abolitionist society
-botanical garden
-grammar school
-medical school
-eye hospital
-children's hospital
-cancer hospital
-nursing school
-dental school
-public bank
-stock exchange
-mint
-world's fair
-municipal water system
-capital of the united states
-capital of the united states under the united states constitution
-art museum
-art school
-horticultural society
-scholarly society
-modern skyscraper

Technological and Medical Innovations

-The discovery of lightening as electricity
-discovery and map of the gulf stream current
-Roughly 1,000 medical techniques and tools dating back to the 18th century to the modern day. This includes simple tools like the needle forceps, the stomach pump, the guillotine snare, flexible urinary catheter etc, old surgical techniques such appendix removal, non invasive remove of stones and swallowed items, to newer innovations as the University of Pennsylvania has been at the forefront of Cancer Treatment for the past half a century. This also includes the creation of new medical theories such as mental illness as a treatable ailment and addictions as a disease. This continues to this day and just in the past two weeks it was announced that doctors at the University of Pennsylvania announced they had successfully cured aids in lab rats and that they may be able to finally defeat aids within the next decade.

and i think that's enough for now.

this topic is made for Philadelphia, no one else is close

Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
facebook.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
LA and the Bay have claim to possibly the most important thing ever created, the Internet!

Who really invented the Net?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City