Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM

92,169 posts, read 122,417,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola1987 View Post
Well, if your looking at the criteria, the only thing that is better in Upstate is schools. Prices of things, weather and outdoor space sucks. It looks pretty on pictures but there is no land you can actually use in reality. There aren't that many parks to hike, run or bike in. There is definatly nowhere to fish.And no beaches like Miami at all. They all go lake water, that either looks or smells funky. My boyfriend and I drove around for hours looking for places to do all these things, and they don't exist. And housing and apartments are expensive also One bedroom apt is 800 and up depending where you live. Middletown is further from the city so it's around 800. But Monroe where it's closer to the city, it's 1000 plus for one bedroom. Cost of living in NY is crazy. If your not making money, you are struggling for the rest of your life just to get a one bedroom. It sux. Car insurance and gas is redicilous. They tax everything possible, if they could, they would tax people breathing. So if I'm going to pay that much money for any of this stuff, I rather be on a beautiful beach everyday.
Check here for parks and outdoorsy things here: Regions - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Look in the Palisades region(8).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,034,084 times
By criteria or not Miami takes it. There are nice parts of upstate NY but this isn't one of them, this is in the shadow of the beast and it shows in all the urban decay. I don't know why people are saying the schools are better either when there are no Universities worth speaking of and Miami has some of the nation's top rated high schools. (Coral Reef, Dash, Christopher Columbus to name 3 off the top of my head are all in the nation's top schools)

The other big problem I have with Orange County NY is the complete lack of cultural and economic diversity. Its relatively speaking rural upstate NY which is as small town as rural North Carolina. It's economy is completely dependent on state and local taxes with a very small professional market and nonexistant financial market. Meanwhile with its stagnant economy it sees the same inflation that NYC feels. Not sure why anyone would want to live in a place like that at least in other upstate cities there's an industry outside of being a state employee.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,345,551 times
Miami

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,824,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
By criteria or not Miami takes it. There are nice parts of upstate NY but this isn't one of them, this is in the shadow of the beast and it shows in all the urban decay. I don't know why people are saying the schools are better either when there are no Universities worth speaking of and Miami has some of the nation's top rated high schools. (Coral Reef, Dash, Christopher Columbus to name 3 off the top of my head are all in the nation's top schools)

The other big problem I have with Orange County NY is the complete lack of cultural and economic diversity. Its relatively speaking rural upstate NY which is as small town as rural North Carolina. It's economy is completely dependent on state and local taxes with a very small professional market and nonexistant financial market. Meanwhile with its stagnant economy it sees the same inflation that NYC feels. Not sure why anyone would want to live in a place like that at least in other upstate cities there's an industry outside of being a state employee.
Yeah, by criteria, I sort of underrated Miami. And I often accuse other people of doing that.SMH

Old 03-12-2011, 03:52 PM

17 posts, read 99,188 times
Thank you for that ckhthankgod. Appreciated you going ut of your way to help me out. Bear mountain is beautiful but also and hour away from me. You can go hiking there and biking, but that's about it. I'd have to drive an hr to hike and an hr back. Too far for me with the gas prices theses days. I do go once in a while tho. And the two beaches that are there suck. One of them is small and clean, but if yoiu don't get htere by 8 or 830 then it;s full and you can't get in. The other one sebago, is bigger but is smells really nasty so you can't even swim in it. I've been here for 13 years, trust me I have looked and looked for outdoor ares and NYC is not known for that. It's known for convience and shopping. Don't need either, so getting outa here!!!!Can't wait!!!! that's why I said Miami is better. At least yoiu have outside beauty. Here you do have bear miuntain, but that's it. Everything else is just trees and dirty trash on the roads. Nothing special at all.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Many people commute to NYC for work from Orange County, as there is some commuter transportation into NYC.

Also, West Point is in Orange County. So, there is a federal presence there too.

Orange County is the fastest growing county in NY State. So, it isn't stagnant like people think it is.

Here's more about Orange County, NY: Welcome to Orange County

OCNY.com - Orange County, New York Tourism and Community Resource Directory

Home - Orange County, New York

Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,034,084 times
Employment Growth in 2010
Rochester 0.8%
NYC 0.4%
Syracuse 0.8%
Ithaca 1.1%
Buffalo 0.4%
Orange County 0.1%

Source: Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Economy at a Glance

US Census isn't out yet for NY but I would be very surprised if it was the fastest growing by population especially when it is one of the lowest by employment.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Employment Growth in 2010
Rochester 0.8%
NYC 0.4%
Syracuse 0.8%
Ithaca 1.1%
Buffalo 0.4%
Orange County 0.1%

Source: Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Economy at a Glance

US Census isn't out yet for NY but I would be very surprised if it was the fastest growing by population especially when it is one of the lowest by employment.
That is misleading to use that info., as many in that county work in NYC or NJ too. Go to the Wikipedia page for the county and look under demographics. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

17 posts, read 99,188 times
If Upstate was growing so much and had such a great population, then why are so many people traveling to NYC and NJ just to get to work. Your driving an hour plus just to get to work. What a great place to live. NOT!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola1987 View Post
If Upstate was growing so much and had such a great population, then why are so many people traveling to NYC and NJ just to get to work. Your driving an hour plus just to get to work. What a great place to live. NOT!!!
Actually, if you look at the counties in the Hudson Valley, many of them are growing, if not all of them. What has happened is that commuter train service has extended that far out due to growth. So, it has to do with that. I don't think that is something new and it is still within the sphere of influence from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City