Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

11 posts, read 35,355 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the input and dialogue. I still vacillate between the two cities: one day I'm moving to Albuquerque, the next it's El Paso. Because I plan to initially rent, it's not like I'm locked into either location for a long term commitment. After filing my state taxes today, the thought of not paying state incomes taxes (approximately 5.75% of my annual income) is very enticing and definitely a "pro" to living in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBound40 View Post
Thanks for any feedback.
I still remember my first trip to El Paso (which was from the East Coast, probably before you were born, Summer of 1968, yep, I'm getting old...). We have lived in the Albuquerque area the last 12 years.

I am glad to see you enjoyed both cities. My native language is Spanish and I find to a degree a more interesting Spanish speaking culture in El Paso. Perhaps due to the larger population and El Paso seems to have a more International mixture.

According to Google maps the drive between Albuquerque and El Paso is 267 miles and 4 hours and 10 minutes. And there is a lot to see in between.

Other than that, you just have to decide... Please keep us informed, and good luck to you!

Rich

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM

105 posts, read 211,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBound40 View Post
I really appreciate all the input and dialogue. I still vacillate between the two cities: one day I'm moving to Albuquerque, the next it's El Paso. Because I plan to initially rent, it's not like I'm locked into either location for a long term commitment. After filing my state taxes today, the thought of not paying state incomes taxes (approximately 5.75% of my annual income) is very enticing and definitely a "pro" to living in El Paso.
Albuquerque is probably a bit better.

Cleaner and more to do in a sense.

Albuquerque has many parts of town you will enjoy, I don't see most people enjoying El Paso. As a gay man in my 30's myself I never have enjoyed EP.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,899 times
Hello, I am a 23 yr old gay male. I've lived in El Paso my entire life. The gay scene is good here and there are A LOT of gay people. I think the gay scene here caters more to people in your age range so I think it would be perfect for you. I've met many older gay men who love El Paso. I love El Paso because it's really safe and very calm. It's also not overcrowded and you can feel like you have a sense of privacy wherever you live. With this said, I wouldn't consider El Paso a fun city for young people. I don't know, but most of the people my age like to go out, have fun, get into the dating scene, and not that we don't have that here but most young El Pasoans feel like it's boring and not much to do besides go to school, work, or go out to eat. The club scene is quite small and not so diverse. Other than that, El Paso is grreeat! especially if you do like mexican food/culture

Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I used to know people in ABQ who loved going to El Paso/Juarez for the party scene on weekends, I don't know if they still do that. The State Dept. has issued warnings about the border area and Juarez in particular has gotten really bad with kidnappings and murders. I have been there a few times, and taken the bus through to Chihuahua, but before it got real violent. Not sure I'd want to go to or through Juarez again. Glad I did it when I did. But that used to be one of the pluses of living in El Paso, the easy access to Juarez and the rest of Mexico. You might also consider Laredo, or McAllen for some interesting border towns.

My nephew was stationed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) for a while, but he and his wife much preferred Albuquerque. He considered becoming a recruiter so he could work in ABQ, but ended up getting sent overseas.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,052 times
Despite whatever you have been hearing about "crime" in El Paso, it is simply not true. Yes, El Paso is right across from Juarez, but crime rates are lesser in El Paso compared to Albuquerque. I encourage you to look this up.
Crime in Albuquerque is a much much bigger problem. Also Albuquerque has an astronomical amount of pure ghetto-ness. New Mexico is 49th in the nation when it comes to public education. What does that say about their parents? Complete ignorance abounds.
I have the unfortunate luck in having to live here, but I cant wait to leave. I visit my cousins in El Paso and have incredible fun, as the nightlife there is abundant and vibrant. In ABQ, the nightlife is a joke. I think there is like, 1 gay club? (since you were interested)
And dont get me started on the food. YUCK. The locals call it "New Mexican" cuisine, as opposed to Mexican cuisine. IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Imagine standing in line in your childhood school cafeteria. The fat lunch lady slops down some unrecognizable slop on your plate from a can, then pours sauce and cheese all over it. That's what New Mexican food is like. Oh and you only have a choice between red or green chile, because New Mexicans dont know what other complex flavors are out there.
Mexican food is so much more flavorful and has so much more variety to it. I bet you wont find any delicious fish tacos, mole, coctel de camaron, caldo de res, or pescado mojarra in ABQ. They dont know what it is LOL!!
Oh and did I mention the job market is terrible? PLEASE take my advice. As an outsider myself having lived here and experienced it I say THUMBS DOWN.

SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Bye.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:18 AM

112 posts, read 207,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzymo View Post
Despite whatever you have been hearing about "crime" in El Paso, it is simply not true. Yes, El Paso is right across from Juarez, but crime rates are lesser in El Paso compared to Albuquerque. I encourage you to look this up.
Crime in Albuquerque is a much much bigger problem. Also Albuquerque has an astronomical amount of pure ghetto-ness. New Mexico is 49th in the nation when it comes to public education. What does that say about their parents? Complete ignorance abounds.
I have the unfortunate luck in having to live here, but I cant wait to leave. I visit my cousins in El Paso and have incredible fun, as the nightlife there is abundant and vibrant. In ABQ, the nightlife is a joke. I think there is like, 1 gay club? (since you were interested)
And dont get me started on the food. YUCK. The locals call it "New Mexican" cuisine, as opposed to Mexican cuisine. IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Imagine standing in line in your childhood school cafeteria. The fat lunch lady slops down some unrecognizable slop on your plate from a can, then pours sauce and cheese all over it. That's what New Mexican food is like. Oh and you only have a choice between red or green chile, because New Mexicans dont know what other complex flavors are out there.
Mexican food is so much more flavorful and has so much more variety to it. I bet you wont find any delicious fish tacos, mole, coctel de camaron, caldo de res, or pescado mojarra in ABQ. They dont know what it is LOL!!
Oh and did I mention the job market is terrible? PLEASE take my advice. As an outsider myself having lived here and experienced it I say THUMBS DOWN.

SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!
El Paso is only a three and a half hour drive from here. So what's holding you back?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglor View Post
This has nothing to do with El Paso, a place I haven't been to in decades. But I am considering a move to Albuquerque, after leaving there in 1978 and living several other places including San Francisco, Las Vegas and Denver. I'm in my mid-50s now, love to hike and spend time volunteering in animal shelters (okay the truth is out - most pitbulls are great dogs!) and have been single for 7 plus years. And I have zero interest in going to bars. Suggestions for meeting people?
Greetings!
How do you meet people where you live now? Maybe do the same thing here. Volunteering is always a good way, check out the list of organizations I linked to in an earlier post in this thread. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzymo View Post
Albuquerque has an astronomical amount of pure ghetto-ness.
Don't you mean "ghetto fabulousness"???

Sounds like someone stuck at Kirtland.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,300 times
i have lived in both cities and im going to be honest as i love both places, ABQ is a much better place to live especially if your gay. there's just much more here (bars, clubs, group's) and to top it off its much more divers. Izzymo you sound young and if you just did a little bit of research. El Paso has a much higher poverty rate. with that said no disrespect to el paso i do still like to to go back once in a while and i do enjoy the night life there but its just not my cup of tea. (many gays from el paso have feel the same way). it really takes living in the city to know what its really like and that goes for both cities... dont ever base your decisions on hearsay especially when it comes to these cities being compared to each other... these threads can get nasty. when honestly both metros are worlds apart from each other (apples and oranges)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City