Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times

Advertisements

Which cities have their touristy areas actually be more residential/neighborhood areas than tourist areas?

For instance, in Chicago, most tourists when they visit the city just stay in the Loop. Most never experience Lincoln Park, Wicker, Park, Pilsen, etc. The tourist attractions are primarily in an area that is more catering to tourists than residents, ie. the Loop/Downtown. So I would not consider Chicago to be one.
Another prime example of cities that are not would be Las Vegas, Washington D.C. (most people stick to the Mall), L.A., etc.

I would consider Boston to be one. The main tourists areas in Boston are pretty much neighborhoods that cater more to the residents than to the tourists. For instance tourists go in droves to the North End, Beacon Hill, Cambridge ( I am aware it's not a neighborhood), etc. Cities like Savannah and Charleston, I am sure are like that.

I think NYC is sort of both because of Manhattan's size and because so many people live in Manhattan, it is still the tourist area of NYC but it is still also a very residential/neighborhood type of area. Very few of your average tourists venture out to the other boroughs, excet for us urbanites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
San Francisco is like that.

Chinatown, North Beach, Castro, Nob Hill, Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, Haight-Ashbury etc. All distinct neighborhoods that are very popular tourist hangouts.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Minneapolis may be one....the "Chain of Lakes" is not downtown and is usually a big draw for anyone visiting the area. Bigger than Downtown anyways. Otherwise, it's the Mall of America.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
New Orleans: French Quarter, Uptown, Garden District

Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM

181 posts, read 302,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Which cities have their touristy areas actually be more residential/neighborhood areas than tourist areas?

For instance, in Chicago, most tourists when they visit the city just stay in the Loop. Most never experience Lincoln Park, Wicker, Park, Pilsen, etc. The tourist attractions are primarily in an area that is more catering to tourists than residents, ie. the Loop/Downtown. So I would not consider Chicago to be one.
Another prime example of cities that are not would be Las Vegas, Washington D.C. (most people stick to the Mall), L.A., etc.
Most tourists to L.A. don't stay downtown, or even go downtown. They are going to Disneyland, Universal Studios, the beaches, etc. So I don't know why you would lump L.A. in with those other cities. L.A. is EXACTLY what you are describing.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM

303 posts, read 603,748 times
South Beach, FL

Some people venture outside of there to go to malls and some other places though.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times
MJ, I think you just proved my point. I didn't say downtowns, it's Chicago's downtown is the main tourist attraction, I didn't say it was for every other city. Everything you described above, Disneyland, Universal Studios are tourist areas, not neighborhoods where people go to see the neighborhoods. Some of the beaches are some of the beaches aren't. This has nothing to do with downtowns, it has to do with places that cater to tourists.

However, L.A. might be a little bit of both. Since many of the touristy areas of L.A. are so spread apart from each other, you really have to go through many neighborhoods to get there.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Charleston, SC. People go to downtown, the harbor and the waterfront. Of course there are other attracttions, like the plantations. But these are technically in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City