Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
How does a skyline view of a bigger city than new orleans mean that its a better urban fabric. What about street level, you know, where it actually matters.
Eh you could post a bunch of pictures at street-level of Los Angeles and it would look pretty impressive too. The areas in the pictures are just as built-up and actually much more dense (pop. and amenities) than anything in New Orleans. But NO is more consistently attractive looking, and is definitely a walking-era city. But Los Angeles is generally a walkable city too, particularly in the areas shown in Scrantix's photo (DTLA, Westlake, Mid-Wilshire, Echo Park, Hollywood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Eh you could post a bunch of pictures at street-level of Los Angeles and it would look pretty impressive too. The areas in the pictures are just as built-up and actually much more dense (pop. and amenities) than anything in New Orleans. But NO is more consistently attractive looking, and is definitely a walking-era city.
Judging by streetview of LA, its not very walkable/urban....

Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Cool story. Judging by my experiences, it is.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM

507 posts, read 806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well if you look at the definition of "urban fabric" the OP linked it's easy to see why NOLA could be the top choice here.
So according to you New Orleans has a better urban fabric than Chicago right?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
I disagree one-thousand percent, probably because i been there in person and didnt just browse around on google maps....

Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You shouldn't gamble, your guessing is wrong.

I opened the link by the OP. Not impressed with the site, such meager website layout and the definition was the worst. I like this better urban fabric - Wiktionary

We are debating two different definitions sav.
Clearly since you've taken it upon yourself to change what this thread is about by using your own link to better fit what you want this thread to be about. Maybe you should start your own instead of storming in here and ruining one with your aggro CA-centric BS.

Quote:
k, that's great New Orleans is a walkers paradise but its not more urban than LA. It doesn't have more urban fabric than LA. It's less dense than LA.
Nobody said it was more urban or dense so I'm not sure who the hell you're even arguing that point with, certainly not me.

You seem to having some internal debate in your head and completey missing what the OP was getting at and changing the parameters. Calm down skippy, it's not really that serious or necessary.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clearly since you've taken it upon yourself to change what this thread is about by using your own link to better fit what you want this thread to be about.
Not necessarily, the OP's OP was this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Which of these three cities has the more urban fabric?
He mentioned urban fabric, and urban fabric only. He later tried to give a definition of it but that was not in the OP. I opened it, saw the crappy website format, read the laughably unoriginal comment box and rejected the definition. I went on this site called Google and searched urban fabric and found this urban fabric - Wiktionary

I like the more precise definition better for this and not to mention LA dominates every characteristic in the definition.
Quote:
Maybe you should start your own instead of storming in here and ruining one with your aggro CA-centric BS..
LOL why am I not surprised by this..

sav, I haven't ruined a thing, I simply rejected the definition dtownboogers left for us and got a better one. Another thread is unnecessary when we still have this one

An argument can be made that while you still live here, that your mind has departed California.
Quote:
Nobody said it was more urban or dense so I'm not sure who the hell you're even arguing that point with, certainly not me.
Oh my, you must pardon me sav for coming in and talking about urban fabric which has yet to be defined.. I'm sorry I brought up those urban characteristics like density in the first place. Sorry for interrupting your disneyland flashback to your walkers paradise of New Orleans.

I know it, you know it, we all know it that the reason you New Orleans boosters, led by you sav, are arguing so vehemently about these small neighborhoods instead of the entire metro is because that's all New Orleans has to make a point on.

LA is a beast, it's the most urban metro in the country. It may be sprawl but it's dense sprawl, the densest the US has to offer, that urban fabric is knit so tight to LA even from 50 miles away, if you understood the point of those pictures then you would have known this. Miami is like that to a smaller extent. New Orleans is to limited and puny in this comparison LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Quote:
You sound ridiculous

So you're telling me Sawtelle, Koreatown, Downtown, Hollywood, or Westlake aren't urban or walkable?

Those areas combined have a population much greater than New Orleans at much higher density than anywhere in New Orleans LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You sound ridiculous

So you're telling me Sawtelle, Koreatown, Downtown, Hollywood, or Westlake aren't urban or walkable?

Those areas combined have a population much greater than New Orleans at much higher density than anywhere in New Orleans LOL
I really meant the design of it...not the numbers...

I mean, its just a really poorly designed/planned city.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
NO seems to have a more urban vibe throughout the WHOLE city-limits as opposed to Miami and LA.

LA is the most urban in terms of SCALE on a city level compared to NO and Miami.

Miami's stuck somewhere between LA and NO.

LA and Miami are much more consistently urban, connected, and dense on a metro level than NO.

Last edited by polo89; 11-19-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City