Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs Boston
Toronto 112 52.83%
Boston 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 PM

92 posts, read 154,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ#1 View Post
That's pretty terrifying that Boston had 72 murders last year. Toronto only had 60 with 4 times the population of Boston. Yikes!
That number of 72 includes the entire metro area (Cambridge, Brookline, Quincy, etc...) around 4.6 million people. It is a very safe Metro Area for its size.

Safety aside, Boston will always win for me (lived in both) mainly because the career opportunities are in another level, you can keep Toronto and its subpar GDP and Income opportunities, Boston attracts people who are much more ambitious and educated, bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM

181 posts, read 301,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardman View Post
That number of 72 includes the entire metro area (Cambridge, Brookline, Quincy, etc...) around 4.6 million people.
I don't think so. I know the city of Boston has had around that many in recent years alone. So unless the suburbs had 0 murders....

Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
I don't think so. I know the city of Boston has had around that many in recent years alone. So unless the suburbs had 0 murders....
That number was for the Boston city proper...however the suburbs of Boston are indeed very safe. Both Brookline and Cambridge had zero murders (combined population of about 170,000). Somerville usually gets an average of 1-3 per year.

2010 had a record number of homicides in nearby Chelsea, with 10...however the year before that there were zero, and the year before that there were 3, which was high for the city.

Again, 72 murders last year was a huge aberration. People were not happy and there were promises that things would change in terms of crime. As was noted before, this year there has only been 5 murders in Boston. At this point last year there had been 15.

Boston is a very safe city, especially by American standards. If we were to measure the two metro areas against each other, I'm sure Toronto would come out safer, but it would probably be pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an average of less than 20-30 murders in the remaining metro area.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-29-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That number was for the Boston city proper
Aha. I knew forwardman was lying. Toronto only has around 60-80 murders per year (60 last year) for 2.6 million people. If Boston had the same murder rate per capita it would have about 15-20 murders per year.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
That's pretty terrifying that Boston had 72 murders last year. Toronto only had 60 with 4 times the population of Boston. Yikes!
Lol Canadians are such pansies.

Just be glad your boring cities up in canada aka America Jr. are safe enough that you and your fellow cassucks can sit on the internet and attempt to degrade superior American cities, eh? I think its aboot time you and your duo of complex-sharing canadian sissies found something better to do. What's up with the Toronto-boosting d-bag trio that keeps going on the attack in all these Toronto-related threads lately anyway? Man Canada must be boring if its breeding all this bitterness and jealousy.

Oh and as for the OP, BOSTON ALL DAY!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Aha. I knew forwardman was lying. Toronto only has around 60-80 murders per year (60 last year) for 2.6 million people. If Boston had the same murder rate per capita it would have about 15-20 murders per year.
Not lying, he just wasn't correct for this particular year. Most years Boston proper has around 50 or so murders...in an average year I would expect greater Boston metro (4.5 million people) to have something like 70-80 murders.

Also, there's really no point in comparing murder rates between Canadian and American cities. American cities will always have higher murder rates...but that doesn't mean they're not safe. Of the unusually high 72 murders last year, all but 10 were located in 3 neighborhoods (Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury) which are adjacent to one another.

2009 had 50 murders (about the normal), 8 were outside of those neighborhoods.

You make it sound like Boston is some sort of warzone.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-30-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 PM

92 posts, read 154,973 times
Ha, I stand corrected, I guess I'm just a pathological "liar".

Either way Boston is beyond safe, I spend alot of time in those so called no-go areas (Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury) because I go there to shop for Jamaican groceries and food items and I never feel unsafe at all. Of course I'm not some overly nervous dripping tampon like our friend MJ here, I feel bad that you are so paranoid.

Anyways, all my other points stand, I don't see any dispute from the gallery there, especially when it comes to earning potential between the two cities.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not lying, he just wasn't correct for this particular year. Most years Boston proper has around 50 or so murders...in an average year I would expect greater Boston metro (4.5 million people) to have something like 70-80 murders.

Also, there's really no point in comparing murder rates between Canadian and American cities. American cities will always have higher murder rates...but that doesn't mean they're not safe. Of the unusually high 72 murders last year, all but 10 were located in 3 neighborhoods (Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury) which are adjacent to one another.

2009 had 50 murders (about the normal), 8 were outside of those neighborhoods.

You make it sound like Boston is some sort of warzone.
50 is pretty terrible for a city of 600,000 when Toronto only has around 60-80 for 2.6 million.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardman View Post
Ha, I stand corrected, I guess I'm just a pathological "liar".

Either way Boston is beyond safe, I spend alot of time in those so called no-go areas (Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury) because I go there to shop for Jamaican groceries and food items and I never feel unsafe at all. Of course I'm not some overly nervous dripping tampon like our friend MJ here, I feel bad that you are so paranoid.

Anyways, all my other points stand, I don't see any dispute from the gallery there, especially when it comes to earning potential between the two cities.
No, you're lying again. I'm not some overly nervous dripping tampon who is paranoid. You must be describing yourself again, because you're not describing me.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
50 is pretty terrible for a city of 600,000 when Toronto only has around 60-80 for 2.6 million.
It really isn't. Canada simply is a less-violent country.

Atlanta has 420,000 people and had the least amount of murders in 48 years in 2009...the total? 80.

Washington DC has 600,000...it had its lowest murder tally since 1963 in 2010. It had 131 murders.

Baltimore, a city of 620,000, had 238 murders in 2009.

Those are bad cities. Boston is not anywhere near that.

Quote:
No, you're lying again. I'm not some overly nervous dripping tampon who is paranoid. You must be describing yourself again, because you're not describing me.
You just don't know anything beyond your own area. The United States has considerably higher crime rates than Canada, but it's still very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City