U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 PM

62 posts, read 73,585 times

Advertisements

I nominate Washington, D.C.

Why?
Because too many people still think D.C. is just the capital, monument, white house, Smithsonian and tourist attractions. People don't understand that outside of those areas D.C. is just like any other city in America. Poor and upper class with middle class here and there but mostly in the close in suburbs.
There are plenty of well known actors from the D.C. area, some include Samuel Jackson, Sandra Bullock, Dave Chapelle, Regina Hall, Taraji P. Henson, Christopher Meloni (Law and Order), Anwan Glover (The Wire), Gbenga Akinnagbe (The Wire and Pelham 123), and others. When it comes to music we got a few too, Marvin Gaye, Good Charlotte, Duke Ellington, and more recently Wale (first rapper to go mainstream from D.C.).

It may not be a lot but I'm tired of people in other cities always talking ***** about D.C....
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,295,474 times
Detroit

Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Detroit
One word: MOTOWN

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM

-Hustle and Flow
-8 mile

Detroit isn't forgotten people know that name and its notoriety has being a rough and hard city.
Its the Baltimore of the midwest.

Great Talent has came out of D-town

Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,679,406 times
Hustle and Flow was Memphis.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM

22,374 posts, read 32,883,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post

Why?
Because too many people still think D.C. is just the capital, monument, white house, Smithsonian and tourist attractions. People don't understand that outside of those areas D.C. is just like any other city in America. Poor and upper class with middle class here and there but mostly in the close in suburbs.
There are plenty of well known actors from the D.C. area, some include Samuel Jackson, Sandra Bullock, Dave Chapelle, Regina Hall, Taraji P. Henson, Christopher Meloni (Law and Order), Anwan Glover (The Wire), Gbenga Akinnagbe (The Wire and Pelham 123), and others. When it comes to music we got a few too, Marvin Gaye, Good Charlotte, Duke Ellington, and more recently Wale (first rapper to go mainstream from D.C.).

It may not be a lot but I'm tired of people in other cities always talking ***** about D.C....

DC is all over the movies; though to your point it is mostly affiliated with the Gov't and it's complex as a backdrop but DC is in a lot of movies; more than just about any city except maybe NYC/LA/Chicago, not sure. There are few movies though it seems that take place in the city away from the Gov't complex or without an affiliation to it. The Exorcism is one I can think of off the top of my head where DC is the location without regard to the Gov't complex. I agree there is so much more to DC than just the area around the mall.

Cities that are majorly under-represented seem be places like Cleveland or Cinci and in Texas Houston and Dallas also seem to be very much under-represented for their population.

On the other hand places like Seattle and SF seem to have more movies than a pure population distribution would bear out

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM

68 posts, read 156,377 times
Quote:
-Hustle and Flow
-8 mile

Detroit isn't forgotten people know that name and its notoriety has being a rough and hard city.
Its the Baltimore of the midwest.

Great Talent has came out of D-town
I think that was Memphis, Tennessee.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,065,601 times
Because DC is lame, and it's people are country.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Hustle and Flow was Memphis.
It was???
Could've sworn they way they talked in that move was straight up D-town.
Damn......

Well Detroit still has a lot of tv shows and movies set in it:
List of films set in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,775,836 times
Quote:
I don't see why you think they are overlooked in movies - unless you are saying you wish the movie topic wasn't a political thriller, but focused on other life that goes on there outside of anything to do with the government. But practically every Hollywood political thriller or disaster flick is either centered on DC or shows something going on with DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City