U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ..
Atlanta 73 51.41%
Denver 69 48.59%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,714 posts, read 3,490,180 times
Reputation: 1506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Well, anyone have an idea which ignorant troll from Atlanta had her feathers ruffled enough to write this to me in an anonymous rep comment. LOL. People from Atlanta sure don't like it when they lose. And with their ever-sinking economy, exploding crime rates, rising foreclosures, vacant hi-rises, they are losing quite mightily.

Read and chuckle at this. I especially like how they say I hide behind my computer but then they leave an anonymous rep comment.

***** care your stupid retarded childish comments to yourself you hid behind that ****ing computer talking **** ***** get a ****ing life you dirty washed up troll
That's nothing new on CD. I've gotten a horrible profane comment from a Pittsburgh native because I pointed out on a skyline competition that Atlanta has far more high rises than Pittsburgh (far more than Denver also btw) Another time someone furiously cussed me out on a personnel letter because I pointed out all the things Atlanta has that Cincinnati doesn't. Then there was the time someone PMed me with a furious insulting rant because I didn't agree with them that Minneapolis is better than Atlanta.

I'd be willing to bet I've received a whole lot more nasty responses from Atlanta Haters like yourself than you've ever received from Atlanta lovers.

 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 896,621 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Its not about winning or loosing its not a battle, this a forum, you say the same thing over and over and over and over again. Its fine that you dont like the Atlanta posters or Atlanta. What have you gained from spewing these things about Atlanta each and every day.. What has changed, Has it stopped people from moving here? Has it stopped Atlanta's status, has it stopped events from being held here etc.. How are you benefiting from this? Are you getting the satisfaction that you may be getting under some peoples skin? I mean come on man its going to get really old soon. With all the mess thats going on in DC right now I could troll and right god aweful things about DC but what would I gain from it.. NOTHING!!!!. Then you have the nerve to call someone ignorant when all you do is geton city data to RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT. do you not see anything wrong with what you are doing. Do you honestly believe your a decent poster on this website?
Yes, this is a forum, and I have a right to post my opinions. I could care less about what others think of DC. I'm confident enough of the city in which I live (and despite all its shortcomings) that I don't need to constantly post about it nonstop in order to make myself feel good. DC speaks for itself. It doesn't need me.

Atlanta is a city that was built on hype and speculation. Nothing else. In other words a lot of hot air. It serves no purpose other than having a large airport located next to it or to provide cheap McMansion housing to people unable to afford it in other areas of the country that matter. In short Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

People can shout me down and call me names. Honestly, I don't care because I KNOW that I'm getting under their skin for exposing Atlanta's ugliness to the rest of C-D. And boy, there sure is a LOT of ugly in Atlanta. And just because I rant does not make me ignorant. I've lived there twice so I'm not ignorant of the local "culture". My posts are well articulated and my points are crystal clear. I just thoroughly dislike Atlanta and all that it stands for.

I invite anyone to re-read my past posts if you'd like to know why I feel Atlanta is a truly an awful place to live. I provide a counterbalance to all the juvenile, rah-rah Atlanta, cheerleader bull****ters posting nonsense about skylines and shopping malls and utter trivial hallmarks that do not a real city make.

Atlanta will implode over the next 10 years due to rising crime, failed attempts at gentrification, rising gasoline prices, and severe infighting between good-old boy, bible-thumping, redneck Georgia Republicans and crooked African-American swindlers running the city of Atlanta.

Grab some popcorn, set Arcade Fire to repeat on your iPod and enjoy the show.
 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 896,621 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
That's nothing new on CD. I've gotten a horrible profane comment from a Pittsburgh native because I pointed out on a skyline competition that Atlanta has far more high rises than Pittsburgh (far more than Denver also btw) Another time someone furiously cussed me out on a personnel letter because I pointed out all the things Atlanta has that Cincinnati doesn't. Then there was the time someone PMed me with a furious insulting rant because I didn't agree with them that Minneapolis is better than Atlanta.

I'd be willing to bet I've received a whole lot more nasty responses from Atlanta Haters like yourself than you've ever received from Atlanta lovers.
This was done anonymously through a rep point, not a direct message. I don't know who wrote it, so it could be you for all I know.
 
Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Weymouth, The South
786 posts, read 899,300 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Yes, this is a forum, and I have a right to post my opinions. I could care less about what others think of DC. I'm confident enough of the city in which I live (and despite all its shortcomings) that I don't need to constantly post about it nonstop in order to make myself feel good. DC speaks for itself. It doesn't need me.

Atlanta is a city that was built on hype and speculation. Nothing else. In other words a lot of hot air. It serves no purpose other than having a large airport located next to it or to provide cheap McMansion housing to people unable to afford it in other areas of the country that matter. In short Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

People can shout me down and call me names. Honestly, I don't care because I KNOW that I'm getting under their skin for exposing Atlanta's ugliness to the rest of C-D. And boy, there sure is a LOT of ugly in Atlanta. And just because I rant does not make me ignorant. I've lived there twice so I'm not ignorant of the local "culture". My posts are well articulated and my points are crystal clear. I just thoroughly dislike Atlanta and all that it stands for.

I invite anyone to re-read my past posts if you'd like to know why I feel Atlanta is a truly an awful place to live. I provide a counterbalance to all the juvenile, rah-rah Atlanta, cheerleader bull****ters posting nonsense about skylines and shopping malls and utter trivial hallmarks that do not a real city make.

Atlanta will implode over the next 10 years due to rising crime, failed attempts at gentrification, rising gasoline prices, and severe infighting between good-old boy, bible-thumping, redneck Georgia Republicans and crooked African-American swindlers running the city of Atlanta.

Grab some popcorn, set Arcade Fire to repeat on your iPod and enjoy the show.
Yeah, now I'm starting to rethink. You really did just give us a rant about how your opinion is right.

I'm not a cheerleader for anywhere. I've never been to Atlanta. But these things are either just not true, or are true for most cities. I'm sure you've read stats that say Atlanta's crime is rising, I've read stats that says it's falling, just like the rest of the country. I do believe gas prices are rising everywhere, not just in Atlanta. I could be mistaken. It's entirely possible that oil prices are only affecting a single US city and every gas station not in Atlanta is making a huge loss. A lot of cities are quite divided and have fierce fighting between the reds and blues.

The thing is, you say you are secure about DC being a great city, as if these people who disagree with you aren't secure. Which means that you think, if you are secure, you don't have to defend something..... Sooo, if American's, or any other person, were/was 'secure' in their love for their country, they'd never defend it? You can give your opinion, but my mind has been changed by the growing level of bile in your words. Don't present your opinions as facts, because they aren't.

EDIT: Oh, just as a little side note, why have you lived in Atlanta twice if you hate it so much? Once I can get. You didn't know it sucked and you left as soon as you could, but twice? You left once due to hating it and still returned? Even if you had a job offer or a transfer, if you hate a city with so much vigour, you'd reject it.
 
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM
 
1,667 posts, read 1,482,418 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Yes, this is a forum, and I have a right to post my opinions. I could care less about what others think of DC. I'm confident enough of the city in which I live (and despite all its shortcomings) that I don't need to constantly post about it nonstop in order to make myself feel good. DC speaks for itself. It doesn't need me.

Atlanta is a city that was built on hype and speculation. Nothing else. In other words a lot of hot air. It serves no purpose other than having a large airport located next to it or to provide cheap McMansion housing to people unable to afford it in other areas of the country that matter. In short Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

People can shout me down and call me names. Honestly, I don't care because I KNOW that I'm getting under their skin for exposing Atlanta's ugliness to the rest of C-D. And boy, there sure is a LOT of ugly in Atlanta. And just because I rant does not make me ignorant. I've lived there twice so I'm not ignorant of the local "culture". My posts are well articulated and my points are crystal clear. I just thoroughly dislike Atlanta and all that it stands for.

I invite anyone to re-read my past posts if you'd like to know why I feel Atlanta is a truly an awful place to live. I provide a counterbalance to all the juvenile, rah-rah Atlanta, cheerleader bull****ters posting nonsense about skylines and shopping malls and utter trivial hallmarks that do not a real city make.

Atlanta will implode over the next 10 years due to rising crime, failed attempts at gentrification, rising gasoline prices, and severe infighting between good-old boy, bible-thumping, redneck Georgia Republicans and crooked African-American swindlers running the city of Atlanta.

Grab some popcorn, set Arcade Fire to repeat on your iPod and enjoy the show.

Same stuff from last month nothing new I see. You know how to put on a good show. Your doing all this exposing and so called ranting like its actually going to have some affect on the entire USA and there views of Atlanta. Honey wake the hell up please your wasting your time.

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 04-09-2011 at 12:36 PM..
 
Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
 
1,667 posts, read 1,482,418 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Yeah, now I'm starting to rethink. You really did just give us a rant about how your opinion is right.

I'm not a cheerleader for anywhere. I've never been to Atlanta. But these things are either just not true, or are true for most cities. I'm sure you've read stats that say Atlanta's crime is rising, I've read stats that says it's falling, just like the rest of the country. I do believe gas prices are rising everywhere, not just in Atlanta. I could be mistaken. It's entirely possible that oil prices are only affecting a single US city and every gas station not in Atlanta is making a huge loss. A lot of cities are quite divided and have fierce fighting between the reds and blues.

The thing is, you say you are secure about DC being a great city, as if these people who disagree with you aren't secure. Which means that you think, if you are secure, you don't have to defend something..... Sooo, if American's, or any other person, were/was 'secure' in their love for their country, they'd never defend it? You can give your opinion, but my mind has been changed by the growing level of bile in your words. Don't present your opinions as facts, because they aren't.

EDIT: Oh, just as a little side note, why have you lived in Atlanta twice if you hate it so much? Once I can get. You didn't know it sucked and you left as soon as you could, but twice? You left once due to hating it and still returned? Even if you had a job offer or a transfer, if you hate a city with so much vigour, you'd reject it.

Please read the posters post history. for someone who who hates Atlanta so much they post every time Atlanta name is mentioned its become more than just a opinion.. The poster really hates the Atlanta posters and how they defend Atlanta thats the real T. Everyone is catching on to his or her mess and afterwhile everyone on here is going to start calling he or she out on it.. I really believe they get a kick out of doing it. Who knows.

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 04-09-2011 at 12:41 PM..
 
Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 896,621 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Yeah, now I'm starting to rethink. You really did just give us a rant about how your opinion is right.

I'm not a cheerleader for anywhere. I've never been to Atlanta. But these things are either just not true, or are true for most cities. I'm sure you've read stats that say Atlanta's crime is rising, I've read stats that says it's falling, just like the rest of the country. I do believe gas prices are rising everywhere, not just in Atlanta. I could be mistaken. It's entirely possible that oil prices are only affecting a single US city and every gas station not in Atlanta is making a huge loss. A lot of cities are quite divided and have fierce fighting between the reds and blues.

The thing is, you say you are secure about DC being a great city, as if these people who disagree with you aren't secure. Which means that you think, if you are secure, you don't have to defend something..... Sooo, if American's, or any other person, were/was 'secure' in their love for their country, they'd never defend it? You can give your opinion, but my mind has been changed by the growing level of bile in your words. Don't present your opinions as facts, because they aren't.

EDIT: Oh, just as a little side note, why have you lived in Atlanta twice if you hate it so much? Once I can get. You didn't know it sucked and you left as soon as you could, but twice? You left once due to hating it and still returned? Even if you had a job offer or a transfer, if you hate a city with so much vigour, you'd reject it.
I lived in Atlanta during high school because my parents lived there. The second time I lived in Atlanta in 2007 for 4 months due to a job transfer and thought I could give it a second chance. I was miserable. I switched companies and moved back to DC as soon as I could.

I have enough confidence in DC to not become unhinged every time there is bad press on it. I have enough confidence in DC not to post every time a new library is being proposed. I have enough confidence in DC to not start multiple "DC vs (insert city name here)" threads to make myself feel better. If America were physically attacked of course secure people would defend it. Please compare apples to oranges when making allusions such as this.

And yes oil prices are rising everywhere. The reason it affects Atlanta more severely than other cities is because of Atlanta's lack of density, its poor road network (no street grids except for a small section in its panhandler-littered downtown), very limited public transportation network used by mostly poor blacks (which discourages others from using it), and the fact that the vast majority of people in the area live in the suburbs and not the city. Eventually people will not be able to fill up their tanks to drive the 60 mile round trip to work every day. Who told them to live 30 miles outside the city in the first place? They just had to have that cheap McMansion.
 
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,714 posts, read 3,490,180 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Yes, this is a forum, and I have a right to post my opinions. I could care less about what others think of DC. I'm confident enough of the city in which I live (and despite all its shortcomings) that I don't need to constantly post about it nonstop in order to make myself feel good. DC speaks for itself. It doesn't need me.

Atlanta is a city that was built on hype and speculation. Nothing else. In other words a lot of hot air. It serves no purpose other than having a large airport located next to it or to provide cheap McMansion housing to people unable to afford it in other areas of the country that matter. In short Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

People can shout me down and call me names. Honestly, I don't care because I KNOW that I'm getting under their skin for exposing Atlanta's ugliness to the rest of C-D. And boy, there sure is a LOT of ugly in Atlanta. And just because I rant does not make me ignorant. I've lived there twice so I'm not ignorant of the local "culture". My posts are well articulated and my points are crystal clear. I just thoroughly dislike Atlanta and all that it stands for.

I invite anyone to re-read my past posts if you'd like to know why I feel Atlanta is a truly an awful place to live. I provide a counterbalance to all the juvenile, rah-rah Atlanta, cheerleader bull****ters posting nonsense about skylines and shopping malls and utter trivial hallmarks that do not a real city make.

Atlanta will implode over the next 10 years due to rising crime, failed attempts at gentrification, rising gasoline prices, and severe infighting between good-old boy, bible-thumping, redneck Georgia Republicans and crooked African-American swindlers running the city of Atlanta.

Grab some popcorn, set Arcade Fire to repeat on your iPod and enjoy the show.
You can rest assured I would never waste my valuable time sending you an anonymous hate letter. If you check out my post history you will see my post are mostly positive and none of them anywhere near as insulting as many of yours are. And two of the hate comments I've received were also anonymous so who knows they could have been from you?

Ofcourse you are entitled to your opinions. Everyone is. But many of your opinions seem to line up pretty shaky next to facts. For instance.

1. Atlanta was built on hype, an airport and Mcmansions? Never mind it being a major major rail hub. Location of many Fortune 500 companies. One of America's most highly educated work force. Home to major universities, Major telecommunications center, etc. etc.

Fact: Metro Atlanta has grown by over a million people in the last 10 years leading the Nation in growth. Most of those people don't work at the airport and judging by per capita figures do pretty well. The last time I checked you can't eat hype so they must be making their living off of something else.

2.Your Opinion: Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

Fact: The Atlanta Metropolitian Area is more densely populated than Metro Denver and a lot of other major American cities. In fact, the five core counties of the Metro Atlanta Area have about the same area and population as the six core counties of Metro Boston.

3. Your Opinion: very limited public transportation network used by mostly poor blacks (which discourages others from using it), and the fact that the vast majority of people in the area live in the suburbs and not the city.

Fact: Outside of Major East Coast cities, Chicago, L.A. and the Bay area. Atlanta's Marta has higher ridership than any of America's other cities including Denver. If you used Marta you would regularly see Business people, college students, etc. of all colors. If you lived in America for the past 30-40 years you will have noticed that the majority of people in most metros live in the suburbs. Atlanta did not start that trend.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-09-2011 at 01:32 PM..
 
Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Weymouth, The South
786 posts, read 899,300 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
I lived in Atlanta during high school because my parents lived there. The second time I lived in Atlanta in 2007 for 4 months due to a job transfer and thought I could give it a second chance. I was miserable. I switched companies and moved back to DC as soon as I could.

I have enough confidence in DC to not become unhinged every time there is bad press on it. I have enough confidence in DC not to post every time a new library is being proposed. I have enough confidence in DC to not start multiple "DC vs (insert city name here)" threads to make myself feel better. If America were physically attacked of course secure people would defend it. Please compare apples to oranges when making allusions such as this.

And yes oil prices are rising everywhere. The reason it affects Atlanta more severely than other cities is because of Atlanta's lack of density, its poor road network (no street grids except for a small section in its panhandler-littered downtown), very limited public transportation network used by mostly poor blacks (which discourages others from using it), and the fact that the vast majority of people in the area live in the suburbs and not the city. Eventually people will not be able to fill up their tanks to drive the 60 mile round trip to work every day. Who told them to live 30 miles outside the city in the first place? They just had to have that cheap McMansion.
You may be secure in DC's greatness and don't '...post every time a new library is being proposed.', but you clearly do have a severe hatred of Atlanta and are not secure in that view because as you might put it, every time a library is built in Atlanta, you have to bash it.

Also, may I just say to that final point, in 2008 Atlanta city had 9.9% of it's metro population, also in 2008 DC had 11% of it's metro population, soooo, I think the gas rises affect DC fairly similarly. Hell, Miami had only 7.8% of it's metro, so it would affect there even more.

I know there will be no reasoning with you. Clearly you are fixed in your vision of this hateful place which for some reason, not everyone else hates, and you must must must put people right every time they stick up for it.
 
Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 896,621 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
You can rest assured I would never waste my valuable time sending you an anonymous hate letter. If you check out my post history you will see my post are mostly positive and none of them anywhere near as insulting as many of yours are. And two of the hate comments I've received were also anonymous so who knows they could have been from you?

Ofcourse you are entitled to your opinions. Everyone is. But many of your opinions seem to line up pretty shaky next to facts. For instance.

1. Atlanta was built on hype, an airport and Mcmansions? Never mind it being a major major rail hub. Location of many Fortune 500 companies. One of America's most highly educated work force. Home to major universities, Major telecommunications center, etc. etc.

Fact: Metro Atlanta has grown by over a million people in the last 10 years leading the Nation in growth. Most of those people don't work at the airport and judging by per capita figures do pretty well. The last time I checked you can't eat hype so they must be making their living off of something else.


REALITY: concern over actually who is moving to Atlanta was addressed in the Atlanta forum by your friend MuxBuppie.


Why do people keep coming here?!?!

And then on page 3 of this thread BringBackCobain nails it home:

Why do people keep coming here?!?!

He states that even though 1 million people have moved to the Atlanta area from 2000-2010, the number of white collar jobs has actually DECLINED as has the per capita income for all metro Atlanta residents.

That paints a very ominous picture of an area heading for decline. This can be easily discernible from anecdotal analysis when driving about the area
.

Quote:
2.Your Opinion: Atlanta represents the incorporation of the American Dream turned suburban Nightmare sprawled over thousands upon thousands of square miles of North Georgia.

Fact: The Atlanta Metropolitian Area is more densely populated than Metro Denver and a lot of other major American cities. In fact, the five core counties of the Metro Atlanta Area have about the same area and population as the six core counties of Metro Boston.
REALITY: Here are the five core counties of Boston based on 2010 Census figures. The entire Boston MSA is actually made up of 7 counties total.
  • Norfolk 670,850
  • Plymouth 494,914
  • Suffolk 722,023
  • Middlesex 1,503,085
  • Essex 743,159
Total population is 4,134,031

Here are the five core counties of Atlanta based on 2010 Census figures. The entire Atlanta MSA is made up of 28 counties total. That seems rather excessive.
  • Fulton 920,581
  • Gwinnett 805,321
  • Dekalb 691,893
  • Cobb 688,078
  • Clayton 259,424
Total Population: 3,365,297

Quote:
3. Your Opinion: very limited public transportation network used by mostly poor blacks (which discourages others from using it), and the fact that the vast majority of people in the area live in the suburbs and not the city.

Fact: Outside of Major East Coast cities, Chicago, L.A. and the Bay area. Atlanta's Marta has higher ridership than any of America's other cities including Denver. If you used Marta you would regularly see Business people, college students, etc. of all colors. If you lived in America for the past 30-40 years you will have noticed that the majority of people in most metros live in the suburbs. Atlanta did not start that trend.
REALITY: On a local DC/Capitol Hill transportation blog that I read I found the following startling statistic about Atlanta's MARTA system that states that:

MARTA riders are 78 percent black and 14 percent white, she said. In addition, more than 50 percent do not have access to a car and more than 60 percent make less than $30,000 annually.

Streetsblog Capitol Hill In Tight Times for Transit Budgets, FTA Warns Agencies Not to Discriminate


MARTA loses riders after cutbacks *| ajc.com

I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top