U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,711 times

Advertisements

Alright so I've never liked where I am now (Albuquerque), and I've grown especially tired of it in the last two years... and I finally have the means to move!

I'm trying to find a place that fits most of these guidelines, the first three are really necessities, after that it's just preferences.

1. It needs to have decent colleges, specifically for a Science degree. I know I'll have to research specific colleges on my own, this doesn't really fit into CityData, but this is a huge deal... if a city has only one bad college, I'm not interested.

2. Cost of Living needs to be manageable. I'm going to be supporting myself through college as an EMT, so this comes into play much more than I would like. Sadly, New York will have to wait

3. Public transportation and/or bicycling needs to be a common and fully do-able mode of transportation year round. I may or may not have participated in some amateur rally races with my friends in high school, and this may or may not have resulted in a couple of totaled cars. Whatever did or didn't happen, my insurance rates would be close to 300 a month, so I would likely actually save money living in a bigger city with public transit versus a medium city where I'd need a car. In addition to buying the car.

4. The bigger, taller, more populous, and more urbanized the better. Sadly, I know this is typically contradictory to #2, but New York is my dream city and the closer I can get to it the better. In spirit, not necessarily geographically.

5. Preferably east coast, or at least coastal. I much prefer the east coast "mentality", and I really despise Bible Belt areas.

6. Green. Not like pollution, but trees and grass and stuff. I've seen enough brown here in Albuquerque to last a lifetime... the houses are brown, the ground is brown, the trees and bushes are brown, people do landscaping and replace brown dirt with brown rocks. I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE FREAKING BROWN haha. I recently took a vacation to Seattle and even in the winter it looked positively lush to me. It was delightful.

7. Diversity isn't a big deal, but all else being equal I'd like the percentage divides between ethnic groups to be as neutral as possible.

I can't think of anything else, at least not right now. It's pretty long as it is, so thanks a ton to anyone who read it and is willing to give some input, it's really greatly appreciated. I know there's a person on the other end of that screen name taking real time to help, it doesn't go unnoticed.

(irrelevant personal information)
And in case anyone's wondering, I'm 19. I had some trouble in high school and screwed myself out of easy college acceptance, I've spent the last two years dabbling in a couple topics at a community college and after acing biology, chemistry, and EMT courses I've finally realized that settling for something easy isn't going to be enough for me. So I'm going to kick ass in community college, transfer to a university, and hopefully get into medical school. At the very least I'll end up with a great science degree.

Last edited by LonelyLoner; 03-27-2011 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Your criteria points toward two cities, Boston and Chicago. Both have a similar cost of living but given your desire to be near NYC, Boston tips the scale. Boston also has a ton of academic choices and can't think of any thought to have a poor reputation. Off the top of my head you have of course Harvard...also MIT, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern and Tufts, plus a handful of smaller colleges as well. Many of these schools are expensive but given your success thus far you'd qualify most likely for some pretty good aid packages which would lower your contribution significantly. Northeastern is known for it's "coop program' which places students in jobs related to their major which also helps pay down cost and/or support yourself through school. Experiential Education > Students (http://www.northeastern.edu/experiential-learning/coop/students/index.html - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,595,991 times
Your criteria points to Philly. You can enroll at ccp (comunity college of philadelphia) and enter the dual admissions program which allows a seamless transfer to Drexel. Drexel has a great chemical and biological engineering program.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Your criteria points to Philly. You can enroll at ccp (comunity college of philadelphia) and enter the dual admissions program which allows a seamless transfer to Drexel. Drexel has a great chemical and biological engineering program.

Agree on Philly seems to really fit the need and remember Philly is extremely close to NYC (1-2 hours depending of mode of travel to Manhattan) and honestly on the East Coast after NYC will give you the largest city feel,; to me honestly only surpassed by NYC and Chicago in the US based on the OP description of urban/city. Chicago is also another good option but not in the Northeast. Boston is viable but is far more expensive and little smaller than Philly. On colleges Philly is arguably the second best (definately a top 5) college town in American with many a varied offereings. Best of luck in your search...

List of colleges and universities in Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPB4H...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEuhe...eature=related

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,288,997 times
How bout Baltimore? Wouldn't that be cheaper than the 4 big NE cities (NY, Philly, Boston, DC)? I can't comment on greenness/transportation though.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
How bout Baltimore? Wouldn't that be cheaper than the 4 big NE cities (NY, Philly, Boston, DC)? I can't comment on greenness/transportation though.

Baltimore is about the same give or take as Philly on COL; definately an option but is considerably smaller than Philly and the PT is a little less efficient but something to consider I would agree; probably less college offerings directly in the city as well.

One of great aspects of Philly is among the large cities in the northeast it is a bargain on the relative scale; And the OP desires NYC and Philly may be the next closest (note closest as NYC it is not) on the east coast; plus is extremely close to NYC, Amtrak can get you from city center to city center in 62 minutes (Mega or Bolt bus is much cheaper and closer to 2 hours)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Some additional urban walking perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LK2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq5Rq...eature=related

Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM

And one more; ok overkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3KH...embedded#at=70

Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM

17,243 posts, read 19,541,004 times
I second/third/fourth Philadelphia.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM

610 posts, read 957,703 times
I fifth Philadelphia as well. Your best bet, and an excellent city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or