U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM

205 posts, read 209,760 times

Advertisements

This is about MSAs, not CSAs. MSAs
are more relevant and universally used in comparison to CSAs.

Sure, SF and SJ are in somewhat connected but can someone please answer why San Francisco has such a tough time standing on it's own without SJ being combined into it?

Has anyone ever heard a NYer whine and moan when Bridgeport and New Haven metros are left seperate from their stats?

When metro ( MSA) stats are posted for Washington, you never hear Washingtonians crying about the exclusion of Baltimore.

Chicago, Boston, Dallas, the same thing

Dare seperate SJ from SF and San Franciscans go crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM

25,979 posts, read 26,697,048 times
Well the San Jose has only recently emerged as an MSA. Some of you probably weren't born yet.

San Jose started counting as an MSA maybe 15 years ago. So historically SJ has belonged to SF. It's not that SF is trying to claim SJ because it is doing well, SF is trying to keep something that has always been a part of the metro.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM

672 posts, read 1,457,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post

Sure, SF and SJ are in somewhat connected but can someone please answer why San Francisco has such a tough time standing on it's own without SJ being combined into it?

Has anyone ever heard a NYer whine and moan when Bridgeport and New Haven metros are left seperate from their stats?

When metro ( MSA) stats are posted for Washington, you never hear Washingtonians crying about the exclusion of Baltimore.

Chicago, Boston, Dallas, the same thing

Actually, everytime a Billionaires list is discussed, if you leave the 10 Billionaires that live in CT out of the NYC count. Watch NYers go CRAZY!! lol

Take Ft. Worth out of Dallas counts and the the Dallas people go on a rampage.

That fact that Trenton counts with NYC's CSA and not Philidelphia is a major point of contention.

Dude, these are all legitimate gripes and I can understand and hear them all. The fact that you won't even budge an inch and continue harping on SF/SJ tells me more about you than anything.

Peace.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 03-29-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 23,414,240 times
Bridgeport and New Haven don't even make up 10% of the population of NYC's CSA, San Jose makes up a much larger portion of the CSA than either of those two. And that is the case with a lot of the CSA's; their smaller MSA's aren't a huge chunk of the overall population. Baltimore would be similar to San Jose in terms of how proportionate it is to the entire CSA. But the difference with the Bay Area is a lot of its major companies and industries are located in the San Jose MSA rather than being concentrated in the main/core MSA like they are in DC, NYC, LA, etc...

Also Dallas-FT is one MSA, nobody as even heard of the smaller MSA's that are part of the CSA.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

18,509 posts, read 26,530,263 times
Quote:

I think the part in bold is what everyone has a problem with.
You only hear but the CSA has ... when its a competition.

population
GDP
Companies
etc etc etc

otherwise it is SF has such a small foot print, and look how many people we can fit in this small area, and look at our density

Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM

31,375 posts, read 51,537,549 times
Quote:
Dare explain what a CSA is and everyone else goes bezerk. Some people actually fall overthemselves in disgust at the thought of Combined Statistical Areas.

They actually think its a deliberate campaign to inflate the size of metro area regions.

Its totally delusional and egotistical.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM

672 posts, read 1,457,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Bridgeport and New Haven don't even make up 10% of the population of NYC's CSA, San Jose makes up a much larger portion of the CSA than either of those two. And that is the case with a lot of the CSA's; their smaller MSA's aren't a huge chunk of the overall population. Baltimore would be similar to San Jose in terms of how proportionate it is to the entire CSA. But the difference with the Bay Area is a lot of its major companies and industries are located in the San Jose MSA rather than being concentrated in the main/core MSA like they are in DC, NYC, LA, etc...

Also Dallas-FT is one MSA, nobody as even heard of the smaller MSA's that are part of the CSA.
I don't pretend to know much about the DC/Baltimore region, and I'm here to ask questions and learn about the dynamics of places I don't have a full understanding of. So, can someone please inform me if DC shares the same local TV stations and radio stations. I ask this because SF/SJ does. When I talk to my wife down in Santa Clara and tell her to watch something on channel 2, 4, 5, 7, or 11, we are absolutely watching the same thing. Same news, same music, same identity. That's why we feel so strongly on this.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 03-29-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,589,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Nah. This is just telling you the GDP of each city/metro. That's all.
I disagree.......some of the GDP's rankings are listed for CSA's and GDP 's do not tell the whole story of perceived city importance.......For example this list has Philadelphia number 4 in the nation.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 PM

20 posts, read 13,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I disagree.......some of the GDP's rankings are listed for CSA's and GDP 's do not tell the whole story of perceived city importance.......For example this list has Philadelphia number 4 in the nation.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Except that Wikipedia list dates back to 2005 when Philly was 4th in the nation. Its not anymore and even SF MSA has surpassed Philly MSA with 1.5 million less people and my gut feeling is that it will continue pulling away.

Here is a site by the government http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0211.pdf

Old 03-29-2011, 10:03 PM

8,254 posts, read 8,081,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I don't pretend to know much about the DC/Baltimore region, and I'm here to ask questions and learn about the dynamics of places I don't have a full understanding of. So, can someone please inform me if DC shares the same local TV stations and radio stations. I ask this because SF/SJ does. When I talk to my wife down in Santa Clara and tell her to watch something on channel 2, 4, 5, 7, or 11, we are absolutely watching the same thing. Same news, same music, same identity. That's why we feel so strongly on this.

I think thats right, someone else mentioned that SJ was part of metro SF previsouly, which it was. DC/Baltimore is always brought up, but SF/SJ is the worst example in the US of a split MSA. Youve got SF on one side of the Bay and Oakland on the other, both extend south with other municipalities and connect with San Jose. You can drive from SF south down the peninsula through San Jose and north to Oakland with absolutely no breaks in the built up area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or