U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,128,224 times
San Jose needs to divorce from SF metro and let the eastcoast media bigwigs know about it since they're so obsessed with SF. San Joseans needs to rise up and never allow its city to bundle up with San Francisco, especially when the ignorant NY media does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 AM

786 posts, read 874,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I think thats right, someone else mentioned that SJ was part of metro SF previsouly, which it was. DC/Baltimore is always brought up, but SF/SJ is the worst example in the US of a split MSA. Youve got SF on one side of the Bay and Oakland on the other, both extend south with other municipalities and connect with San Jose. You can drive from SF south down the peninsula through San Jose and north to Oakland with absolutely no breaks in the built up area.
Yes yes yes.. we understand it's continuously built up, and I've just become aware (through this thread) that they did used to be together, but now they aren't. Right at this moment, not in the past, not in the future, they are split. If they were just as continuously built up and shared enough commuters as an MSA, it's be an MSA. Clearly it doesn't quite meet the criteria rite now. No one is trying to tell you they aren't codependent cities and that they don't share the same media etc, but OFFICIALLY, they aren't considered together. A CSA has looser criteria for which they are pulled together.

This really comes down to some of us saying what the officials say and those who know the area basically saying the officials are wrong. You can think it's stupid, I'm beginning to see it that way too, but right now, San Francisco and San Jose are classified as separate MSAs and you'll have to deal with that until they meat the criteria. I know I'm just saying the same thing over and over, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. You can argue that the official stats are flawed, but you can't argue that they are the official stats.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
I keep seeing "the SF Bay Area" and obviously the two cities have the bay in common but what if there were no bay? Would that make a difference? Why isn't Sacramento part of San Francisco (other than it isn't on the bay)?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 AM

9,798 posts, read 7,946,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
In this country, Liverpool has a huge international reputation due to the Beatles, but that doesn't make it any more important as a city than if it lacked that.
That's an excellent example of name recognition not being equivalent with quality.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's an excellent example of name recognition not being equivalent with quality.
I thought so. I mean, their reasons for name recognition aren't really on the same level; one for being the home of a huge band, the other because of the city itself, but it was the best I could think of.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 AM

3,584 posts, read 4,160,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
25 Cities Ranked In Order Of Importance

By nominal GDP

#1 New York, N.Y.

#2 Los Angeles, Calif.

#3 Chicago, Ill.

#4 Washington D.C.

#5 Houston, Texas

#6 Dallas, Texas

#7 San Francisco, Calif.

#8 Philadelphia, Pa.

#9 Boston, Mass.

#10 Atlanta, Ga.

This is pretty much the GDP list and I will take this list over many list. No bias involved here.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
This is pretty much the GDP list and I will take this list over many list. No bias involved here.
Yeah it seems a fair list to me.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,715,490 times
Like I said, that list (posted by the OP) is just pure GDP. China is going to pass U.S in GNP in 2050. Does that mean China is more important than the U.S?. GDP is just one criteria to determine the city/metro's significance. If you want to talk about "importance" then here is a good read.

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

The most important cities in the United States

* 1. New York
* 2. (tie) Los Angeles & Chicago
* 4. San Francisco
* 5. Washington
* 6. Boston
* 7. Atlanta
* 8. Miami
* 9. (tie) Dallas & Houston
* 11. Philadelphia
* 12. Denver
* 13. Seattle
* 14. Minneapolis
* 15. Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I disagree.......some of the GDP's rankings are listed for CSA's and GDP 's do not tell the whole story of perceived city importance.......For example this list has Philadelphia number 4 in the nation.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Like I said, that list (posted by the OP) is just pure GDP. China is going to pass U.S in GNP in 2050. Does that mean China is more important than the U.S?. GDP is just one criteria to determine the city/metro's significance. If you want to talk about "importance" then here is a good read.

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

The most important cities in the United States

* 1. New York
* 2. (tie) Los Angeles & Chicago
* 4. San Francisco
* 5. Washington
* 6. Boston
* 7. Atlanta
* 8. Miami
* 9. (tie) Dallas & Houston
* 11. Philadelphia
* 12. Denver
* 13. Seattle
* 14. Minneapolis
* 15. Detroit
But is it a 'good list' because you agree with it? I don't think the capital of your nation is fifth that's for sure. Also, you can't say that China won't be the most important country in 40 years, it might be.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,715,490 times
It's debatable, but it makes more sense to me due to the fact that multiple criteria other than GDP have been used to determine the list, not to mention different rankings by well-known institutions. That's why I referred to it as a good read if you'd like to discuss about the so-called "top cities ranked in order of importance".

May I ask you how should we rank D.C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
But is it a 'good list' because you agree with it? I don't think the capital of your nation is fifth that's for sure. Also, you can't say that China won't be the most important country in 40 years, it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City