Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I left Oklahoma because of the Lack Of Love For RODEOS i'm not
crazy about them myself , but cowboys did once upon a time have
a large Brand On AZ... making it both a Southwestern and a Western
State along with Nev and California....
so what is your point? a dude from San Diego or LA could meet up with a dude from PHX or Tucson and neither would think either was foreign or different. mabye CA is always CA but it's closer to us in the SW than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
so what is your point? a dude from San Diego or LA could meet up with a dude from PHX or Tucson and neither would think either was foreign or different. mabye CA is always CA but it's closer to us in the SW than anywhere else.
I agree.......

Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
According to "The Nine Nations Of North America" the region known as "Mexamerica" includes not only Phoenix and Tucson but also LA, SD and even Houston. At the time it was written it did not include SF and SJ but did include all of the cities in the San Joaquin Valley.

Since the time it was written I would argue that the boundary between "Mexamerica" and "Ecotopia" has been blurred. They have influenced each other. The combination of the two probably form a single "nation" albeit one with a "Southern" part and a "Northern" part but with a somewhat indistinct boundary between the regions.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default The Nation of California.......

I lived in SoCal...Long Beach first for about 1yr&2Months then the
Bay Area , but liked SoCal more " Norcal is better for me , so
here I remain for my own " good "....after living in the bay for
somewhere around 30 yrs I must say that the Norcal folks
want nothing to do with SoCal and SoCal wants nothing to do
with NorCal....both halves of the country are as diff as "Night
& Day ".....and can barely suffer being in the SAME STATE....

Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
On the "note" of this thread:

YouTube - ‪wall of voodoo - call of the west‬‏

And another rather thematic one from the same band:

YouTube - ‪Wall Of Voodoo "On Interstate 15"‬‏

Man I love that twangy geeetar!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM

285 posts, read 437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I lived in SoCal...Long Beach first for about 1yr&2Months then the
Bay Area , but liked SoCal more " Norcal is better for me , so
here I remain for my own " good "....after living in the bay for
somewhere around 30 yrs I must say that the Norcal folks
want nothing to do with SoCal and SoCal wants nothing to do
with NorCal....both halves of the country are as diff as "Night
& Day ".....and can barely suffer being in the SAME STATE....
That is just a whole bunch of bologne!
I think that there is a friendly and for the most part healthy rivalry
usually people in nor-cal seem to buy a bit more into that crap

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,522 times
If states can be considered "Pacific Northwest" Howcome states can't be considered "Pacific Southwest"?

I never really thought about it , but techically it is South and in the WEST, so I guess why not? I always thought of Southwest as Colorado, Nevado,Utah,Arizona,New Mexico. I dont care what anybody says, utah, and colorado,nevada are apart of the southwest no matter how you put it.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 PM

491 posts, read 886,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
Geographically it is definitely part of the Southwestern United States. Culturally, SoCal is it's own beast. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but I would say that L.A. proper (excluding the San Fernando Valley) has much more in common with San Francisco than it does with Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Tuscon. L.A. is just too big and diverse to compare with those cities. Orange County is a whole different deal, and so is San Berdoo/Riverside and the rest of the Inland Empire. SoCal is just SoCal. The only parts of Southern California I would lump in with the Southwest would be the smaller desert cities like Palm Springs, Indio, Palmdale/Lancaster, Barstow, and Victorville. Even then only barely.

As for comparing NorCal to the Pacific NW, uh, no.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
Maybe the San Bernadino and Riverside counties are part of the Southwestern culture, but most of California is part of the West Coast.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
That is just a whole bunch of bologne!
I think that there is a friendly and for the most part healthy rivalry
usually people in nor-cal seem to buy a bit more into that crap

no i think howest is right. but you're also right. from my experience, norcal doesn't wan't to be associated with socal.

have you seen orange co though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City