U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,205,467 times
Reputation: 4420

Advertisements

What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
8,683 posts, read 11,146,082 times
Reputation: 3065
Default No..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
No the southwestern states are Texas , Oklahoma , New Mexico
and Arizona , the state of California is in the West Coast region.
The states of Oregon and Washington aren't in the Mountain
States Region either , but the Pacific Northwestern Region 'just
another example" to share with you is Las Veges it's considers
itself as in the (West Coast Region or area) and not the Southwest
or the Mountain States Region with States such as Colorado , Utah
, Idaho.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: SELA
532 posts, read 846,751 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No the southwestern states are Texas , Oklahoma , New Mexico
and Arizona , the state of California is in the West Coast region.
According to the strictest definition, the Southwest solely consists of Arizona and New Mexico. Texas and Oklahoma are in the South. Multiple classifications are considered possible; Southern California might be considered as part of the West Coast and the Southwest. The broad definition of the "Greater Southwest" includes Sonora and Chihuahua, but that is generally a matter of Indian ethnology, so it would likely not be useful for our purposes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,003 posts, read 23,383,933 times
Reputation: 8480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is everybody's opinion on this? Does the Southwestern United States encompass Southern California?

On appearances alone, Southern California is decidedly Southwestern. The Spanish architecture, auto-centric lifestyle, and geographical features are far more reminiscent of Phoenix than San Francisco. The real difference SoCal has from the Southwest is the culture, which is dominated by the cosmopolitan prominence of Los Angeles. However, I think the culture is still quite different from that of the Bay Area or Seattle especially in suburban Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. Maybe California, like Texas, is a state that encompasses multiple regions, SoCal going with the Southwest and NorCal going with the Pacific Northwest?
Southern Ca and Northern Ca have a lot more common with each other than they do the with the Southwest or PNW. I see some people try to lump Northern Ca with the PNW and Southern CA with the Southwest but they are more alike each other than other regions outside the state. Even with geographical features, SoCal is more like NorCal. Which makes sense given the climate of Southern CA is closest to Northern Ca than anywhere else outside the deserts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,205,467 times
Reputation: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Southern Ca and Northern Ca have a lot more common with each other than they do the with the Southwest or PNW. I see some people try to lump Northern Ca with the PNW and Southern CA with the Southwest but they are more alike each other than other regions outside the state. Even with geographical features, SoCal is more like NorCal. Which makes sense given the climate of Southern CA is closest to Northern Ca than anywhere else outside the deserts.
I have never been to the Bay Area but I lived in LA county in the early '90s. I will agree So Cal has a different feel especially near the coast, but there are also quite a bit of similarities with the Southwest that increase dramatically the further inland you go as well as in San Diego. I would agree Los Angeles itself (with the exception of the San Fernando Valley) has an entirely different feel and vibe despite the architectural similarities. The Valley has a very Phoenix-esque feel, at least from my memory.

As far as Vegas, outside of the tourist areas its a very Southwestern city, even moreso than Southern California.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 3,688,081 times
Reputation: 2663
Southwest is AZ and NM. California is it's own region.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 AM
 
Location: West Coast
1,283 posts, read 3,403,836 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The Valley has a very Phoenix-esque feel, at least from my memory.
I would say it is the other way around. Phoenix has a very San Fernando Valley feel to it.

Phoenix and Vegas have SoCal attributes to them. But the Bay Area and LA are ever more similar. For instance, Long Beach and Oakland are similar. South Orange County and the outer East Bay are similar. Parts of the LA basin and San Gabriel Valley/SFV are similar to San Jose/South Bay Area. These similarities are true with regards to geography/weather/ethnic diversity.

Last edited by vdy1985; 03-31-2011 at 05:27 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,717 posts, read 13,925,693 times
Reputation: 2792
San Francisco is not wholly representative of Northern California. Both halves of the state are more like each other than anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 1,932,543 times
Reputation: 1050
Yes. Next question...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,717 posts, read 13,925,693 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Yes. Next question...
Thanks for setting us straight on California matters, Boston.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top