Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 AM

95 posts, read 258,452 times

Advertisements

So I currently live in Seattle where I'm still an out of state resident for tuition purposes until next year, so I can't afford the tuition here. I really don't want to wait until next year to go back to school, so I thought about going back to California where I might could start school immediately if I still have California residency (because I lived there for 3 years), or going back to Texas where I'm originally from and my folks still live so I qualify for in state tuition there too. So I could stay in Seattle but I can't go back to school til next year. Or go to Oakland possibly, but the Bay area is more expensive. Or go to Austin, but I hear you need a car to comfortably get around there. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Seattle and Austin are both great places to live. Oakland itself isn't all that great, but you can find places in and around Oakland that are very nice. UW and UT are right in the heart of the respective cities. I would look to the quality of the school's degree program that suits your needs. That and where do you want to live? If you are planning on living in TX, then a UT degree is more valuable than a UW degree and vice versa.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
I would do Austin, more affordable and more geared towards college students. Also remember while school is in session in Seattle is when the weather is crappy. The school year in Austin is the nice weather of Texas, unless you plan to stay there during the summer, then it's just like hell.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Seattle and Austin are both great places to live. Oakland itself isn't all that great, but you can find places in and around Oakland that are very nice. UW and UT are right in the heart of the respective cities. I would look to the quality of the school's degree program that suits your needs. That and where do you want to live? If you are planning on living in TX, then a UT degree is more valuable than a UW degree and vice versa.
Have you ever been?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Have you ever been?
Obviously. He played Grand Theft Auto Oakland, or watched that Gangland special. Close enough, there isn't anything else to see anyway.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been?
Many times. I stand by my comments. Have you ever been to Seattle or Austin? Obviously not. See how easy that is?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Have you ever been?
Not everyone likes terrific weather, world class cuisine, a thriving arts scene, a truly multicultural and diverse districts, a subway system, and vibrant walkable neighborhoods.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not everyone likes terrific weather, world class cuisine, a thriving arts scene, a truly multicultural and diverse districts, a subway system, and vibrant walkable neighborhoods.
You can't polish a turd.

Oakland = Tacoma

The bastard stepchild of a much better city close by. To add insult to injury, a world class University is just a stone's throw away in Berkeley no less.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
You can't polish a turd.

Oakland = Tacoma

The bastard stepchild of a much better city close by.
Well, that was sophisticated.

Like I said, not everyone likes subways, not everyone likes world class cuisine, not everyone likes truly multicultural neighborhoods and not everyone likes terrific weather.

Quote:
To add insult to injury, a world class University is just a stone's throw away in Berkeley no less.
Er, the University of California system is HQed in Oakland. The management behind the most prestigious public system in the world is actually in Oakland.

In fact, the President of UC lives in Oakland, in this "turdly" shack.

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded...11_adi_web.jpg

LOL.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, that was sophisticated.

Like I said, not everyone likes subways, not everyone likes world class cuisine, not everyone likes truly multicultural neighborhoods and not everyone likes terrific weather.

Er, the University of California system is HQed in Oakland. The management behind the most prestigious public system in the world is actually in Oakland.

In fact, the President of UC lives in Oakland, in this "turdly" shack.

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded...11_adi_web.jpg

LOL.
lol, the haters get their asses handed to them every time. Too bad they don't care...because it's mostly fear based off of stereotypes (or staight up misinformation, such as the TV show "gangwars"), and/or racism, that shape their hateful opinions on places like Oakland. Facts and objective analysis/comparison don't mean much to them...at least not until they manage to tone down their own hysteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City