Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM

80 posts, read 326,601 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to both? Where would you rather raise a family? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
I never been to Pittsburgh. But i been to Syracuse and i didnt think Syracuse was that great, It was pretty safe i presume but i just thought they could of done a lot better on making the city look more like A CITY. If i had a choice, I think I would rather go to Pittsburgh because i seen the skyline for Pittsburgh and they did a real good job on it, it looks like it would have a population of Philadelphia if i never knew it was only 311,000.

Now if it was Rochester and Pittsburgh, that may be another story.. i loved Rochester! but it's crime is a little up there... nothin i myself would be too worry about though.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,024 times
Whats up with comparing everything to Pittsburgh? Lately it's either been Pittsburgh or Philadelphia up against some other city. Please give these cities time to lick their wounds. Once again though, this is not even a fair comparison. Pittsburgh is much bigger than Syracuse.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,967 times
Pittsburgh is a very large metro, and the city has a very small land area. Only Boston, San Fran, and Miami are smaller in land area. That isn't saying we should get up to a healthy 420,000. But we would never be able to fit Philly's population inside Pittsburgh's boundaries.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM

I also agree with slick rick. Why are there so many Pittsburgh vs. _____________ threads. I saw Pheonix, Seattle, and Philly, and now this?

and the comparison is hard. Syracuse is very small compared to Pittsburgh's metro size.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM

I am just trying to decide which one to visit first for a possible relocation. There are job prospects in both for my husband. We are not exactly drowning in cash right now, so if one of these places makes more sense to visit, that's where we'll head first. If its really a good place, we may not have to check out the other at all. I didn't really mean to start anything! Maybe a lot of people have been considering Pittsburgh. Is that really a bad thing?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM

Thank you Newarkbomb for your honest opinion. That's what I'm looking for.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM

It is ok to start a post to get opinions. Lately there have been threads trying to compare Pittsburgh to Arizona, or Seattle. Which is just weird, because Pittsburgh and Pheonix are the polar opposites of each other.

I don't know a thing about Syracuse. Pittsburgh is known as a great city to raise a family. The cost of living is cheap here, but it probably is cheaper in Syracuse. You have great city ammenities in Pittsburgh like Museums, Sports, the cultural district, and shopping that you probably wouldn't find in a smaller city like Syracuse. People are down to earth here, there are lots of good educational oppertunities, and there would be less snow.

I never been to Syracuse though to really make a comparison when it comes to family living. I am sure there is a nice suburb that can be found in Syracuse to raise a family that would be similair to Pittsburgh.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
I am just trying to decide which one to visit first for a possible relocation. There are job prospects in both for my husband. We are not exactly drowning in cash right now, so if one of these places makes more sense to visit, that's where we'll head first. If its really a good place, we may not have to check out the other at all. I didn't really mean to start anything! Maybe a lot of people have been considering Pittsburgh. Is that really a bad thing?
No problem

And Syracuse's housing cost are REAL low. You can find a lot there for rent also. im talkin 2 bedroom $500/mo on average for pretty nice places. This is probably due to jobs that pay a lot less than most bigger cities. And as for Pittsburgh, The homes (from what I read just now) are priced pretty average and the jobs probably pay average.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
It seems rather unfair to compare a smaller city like Syracuse to a big one like Pittsburgh.

People are down to earth in Syracuse too...

Syracuse's biggest advantage is its location. If you like outdoor attractions you have day trips galore you can take - Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, Lake Ontario, to name the majors (and NY's state park system is second to none, so there are tons of other places nearby). There is skiing not far away. If you like boating, with the lakes and canal system it really is a boater's paradise. Syracuse is also only a few hours' drive from world class cities like New York, Toronto, Boston and Montreal. New England, of course, is right next door.

Also, I suspect politically the Syracuse area is somewhat less conservative than western Pennsylvania.

Syracuse politics also are not silly and overheated like it gets during the presidential elections. Pennsylvania is a swing state, New York is not. It is rare to see nasty campaign ads on TV.

If you are the sort of person who does not care for megachurches and church based politics you might also find Syracuse more amenable, as religious conservatism is not a well organized political force in the area. Although certainly lots of people go to church and that forms their political beliefs.

The disadvantages, as pointed out already, are the colder winters and heavier snows; you won't get the same big concerts and museums and tony restaurants (nice ones here, but nothing in Zagat's); and there are no professional sports teams, unless you count Syracuse University football and basketball, always a big attraction at the Dome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City