U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ...........
Agree 65 28.26%
Disagree 165 71.74%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,732,358 times
New York City
Washington DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Los Angeles

= most important cities in America
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,444,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What's ironic, and also testament to the general ignorance of many Americans, is that the city that literally made America isn't on that list, even in spite of its size.
Actually, I was thinking about how a non-American would answer the question. That said, I'm not sure that ignoring a certain city makes one ignorant. I assume you mean Detroit, but I don't think it belongs on the list. Even in its prime, Detroit was kind of a background place. The assembly lines hummed along, churning out product for the rest of America.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM

5,872 posts, read 2,980,431 times
Not including DC because it is technically a district and is too unique from the other cities on the list. It functions differently than a "normal" city.

New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Philadelphia/Boston/Houston

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,663,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Actually, I was thinking about how a non-American would answer the question. That said, I'm not sure that ignoring a certain city makes one ignorant. I assume you mean Detroit, but I don't think it belongs on the list. Even in its prime, Detroit was kind of a background place. The assembly lines hummed along, churning out product for the rest of America.
Actually I believe he/she was talking about Philadelphia.

Anyways Detroit for better or worse had a huge influence culturaly on the US. Just look at Motown and GM

Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,575,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
haha i don't think he's talking about "manufacturing" although detroit is obviously very important.

he's talking about philadelphia. you know where america was founded. 5th largest city in the country.

to me this is the list.

nyc, la, chicago, dc, philly

the top four are of course choices... with dc being by far the most questionable but because of it's role as the center of our government i definitely think it would belong on this list.

the argument could be made for either san fran or boston instead of philly. but i don't think miami, houston, or atlanta are even in this discussion.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,514,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Top 4 are good. I just don't see Atlanta as a city that "makes" America. Except for the airport, which is pretty important.
But Atlanta is the most American city in the whole United States, so it should be number 1.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 16,587 times
DC seems like an obvious inclusion simply for being the capitol, but when I think of cities with the most historical importance, the ones that literally "made america", Boston and Philadelphia come to mind before DC. I would probably take the following cities, pick five and call the other two runner-ups:

New York
Chicago
Boston
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
San Francisco

Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM

4,880 posts, read 2,372,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
But Atlanta is the most American city in the whole United States, so it should be number 1.
I think you might have to explain your reasoning on that one.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM

10,059 posts, read 10,272,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I think you might have to explain your reasoning on that one.
Seriously. Ive always thought of Chicago as the most American city in the US (given its position in the Heartland).

Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,624,663 times
If only five I'd say

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Washington DC
4. Chicago
5. San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City