U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ...........
Agree 65 28.14%
Disagree 166 71.86%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,973,423 times

Advertisements

Having been around many foreigners and immigrants, the first 3 cities coming to mind for a foreigner are NYC, Chicago, and DC. Boston and LA are right after them. Few people have really mentioned Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Houston, or Dallas. It might be due to that's where they have relatives or friends who visited or moved. That's just been my experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,566,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That is the most ignorant thing I have read all day.First of all you are wrong.The most visted places in America in order is NYC,Miami,Los Angeles,Orlando,San Francisco and La vegas.Are you seriouly suggesting that Disney World and Gambling are th best that this county has put out to the world?
Baltimore?haha..okay right.You don't go overseas much do you?Philadelphia and Atlanta have about the same market share of overseas inbound visitors.Actually it L.A. and many western cities and then the South where sprawl became an issue.

If you say the past is still the past and matters to how we are today then New Orleans and Detroit should definitely be there

Ok first of all, yes i do travel overseas, family in Italy and France, and many family members in canada(yes i know that isnt overseas). And what i hear from foreigners are that they love philadelphia NVY Boston and Los angeles. I never hear anything about Miami houston atlanta, and not really vegas. And just because somewhere is more visited doesnt make it any more AMerican. Im not basing this on popularity, i was saying that east coast cities are very commonly visited by people from Europe, and i know Balitmore isnt that popular compared to other major cities on the East Coast, but i still consider it an important city to America. And if i were to make a list of the cities that make america i would say in not this order but, New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and San Fran.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 AM

8,141 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Ok first of all, yes i do travel overseas, family in Italy and France, and many family members in canada(yes i know that isnt overseas). And what i hear from foreigners are that they love philadelphia NVY Boston and Los angeles. I never hear anything about Miami houston atlanta, and not really vegas. And just because somewhere is more visited doesnt make it any more AMerican. Im not basing this on popularity, i was saying that east coast cities are very commonly visited by people from Europe, and i know Balitmore isnt that popular compared to other major cities on the East Coast, but i still consider it an important city to America. And if i were to make a list of the cities that make america i would say in not this order but, New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and San Fran.
People dont go places they never hear of.Visitation is a result of what people know.Do you think your way is more accurate based on your limited travel? Actualy I currently have 2 French,German and Mexican tenants that know very little about Philadelphia or Miami but can tell you about New Orleans.Baltimore is barely a blimp on anybodies radar.
None of this matters because its still was not the question that was asked.Foreigners dont make America.Americans do.The question was ot have you heard of this or that.
Frankly,you cant have a representative of the entire region of the South and say those cities did not make america!
Miami is still a strange answer.That makes no sense whatsoever.A city not even around during the Civil War.The war that almost ended this country.Slavery for the bad that it was if not for the forced labor in the South the money that fueled the industrial growth of the North wuld hae had a huge impact if it were not there.
New Orleans would represent the area before any other if not Atlanta.Its the only other major city of influence today with the history ad cultural impact that would represent the region that gave us much of what is considered the American identity.Such as our foods,the roots of American music which is closely tied to African American development.,Absolutely impossible.Every region has contributed to what makes America.New Orleans has been around since 1690.Its an insult to mention Miami that only became prominent after the 1950's.with no influence further than South Florida could somehow trump any city mentioned.

I think you need to brush up on your American and cultural history.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,523,928 times
Quote:
People dont go places they never hear of.Visitation is a result of what people know.Do you think your way is more accurate based on your limited travel? Actualy I currently have 2 French,German and Mexican tenants that know very little about Philadelphia or Miami but can tell you about New Orleans.Baltimore is barely a blimp on anybodies radar.
None of this matters because its still was not the question that was asked.Foreigners dont make America.Americans do.The question was ot have you heard of this or that.
Frankly,you cant have a representative of the entire region of the South and say those cities did not make america!
Miami is still a strange answer.That makes no sense whatsoever.A city not even around during the Civil War.The war that almost ended this country.Slavery for the bad that it was if not for the forced labor in the South the money that fueled the industrial growth of the North wuld hae had a huge impact if it were not there.
New Orleans would represent the area before any other if not Atlanta.Its the only other major city of influence today with the history ad cultural impact that would represent the region that gave us much of what is considered the American identity.Such as our foods,the roots of American music which is closely tied to African American development.,Absolutely impossible.Every region has contributed to what makes America.New Orleans has been around since 1690.Its an insult to mention Miami that only became prominent after the 1950's.with no influence further than South Florida could somehow trump any city mentioned.

I keep trying to tell people Miami and SoFla didn't develope like the rest of the South did. No one listens. It wasn't really around during the Civil War.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,566,298 times
Quote:

A city can be old or new to make America. I find that hard to believe that people from other countries havent heard of Philadelphia. And since your basing this on history philly is by far number one on the list. I would also like to add that i resent your comment about my limited world travel. Im not even 20 and ive been to 12 countries outside of the United states and have stayed over night in 38 different states.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-18-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM

170 posts, read 297,013 times
My List (needs more than five places):
-New York: Economic, cultural melting pot. Also major port in nearby Newark
-DC: Political Capital
-LA: Entertainment Industry, Largest container port @ LA/Long Beach. Newark, the handful of ports in South Carolina & SE Georgia, and Seattle also handle a good amount of our imports & exports but these are minor players compared to LA
-Miami: Our latin/SA connection
-Chicago: Transportation fingers that reach across a wide swath of West/Midwestern hinterlands... Commodities exchange (CME) helps the city act as a secondary financial center in the US
- Philadelphia: Where our government began
- Boston: Arguably the largest collection of important universities in the country. Also major historical significance
- Detroit: Major musical influences, starting point of the American automobile industry, which while not like it was in its prime, is still a powerful force (who else besides the bankers received tarp loans?)
- Houston: Energy/Oil Industry capital.
- Dallas/Atlanta: Major transportation center for the south. Together, these two towns play the same role in the south as Chicago does for the midwest but not at the level of Chicago and also minus the major financial presence.
- San Francisco/Bay Area: Tech industry

Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
A city can be old or new to make America. I find that hard to believe that people from other countries havent heard of Philadelphia. And since your basing this on history philly is by far number one on the list. I would also like to add that i resent your comment about my limited world travel. Im not even 20 and ive been to 12 countries outside of the United states and have stayed over night in 38 different states.
Well Im sorry I offended you but I was basing that statements on your remarks.A lot of times it really depends on who and where in the world you are what people know.For Instance,In Saudi Arabia,I bet they know more about Houston than Philadelphia and maybe even Chicago.Why would someone from France not think of New Orleans before Philadelphia?

Haven been somewhere does not solely make you and expert on people and a place.It takes time to know the neighborhoods within a city.Do you think if I visited someone in a ghetto in L.A. could tell me how they live in Beverly Hills?

I said history is ONE of the major criteria.Not the only.So in my opinion Philly would be a good choice but not the best because its influence is in the shadow of others in its region.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM

16,014 posts, read 5,028,331 times
Quote:

Philadelphia is one of the most visited US cities by European tourists after New York and Los Angeles. More foreign tourists visit here than New Orleans.

Miami is still a strange answer.That makes no sense whatsoever.A city not even around during the Civil War.The war that almost ended this country.

Miami was around during the Civil War; a settlement was made by the Spaniards from Cuba on Biscayne Bay during Colonial times, and it was founded as a military fort and town during the Seminole Wars in the 1840's ... it was called Fort Dallas in those days. You can even visit a building from Fort Dallas that pre-dates the Civil War in Lummus Park near downtown Miami. However I believe it was occupied by Union forces during much of the war so it was not much help to the Confederacy.

Ummm ... sorry to say this, but you don't strike me as an outstanding scholar on American history, either.
My list:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington, DC
Philadelphia/Boston (tie).

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,523,928 times
Quote:
Im confused how people arent saying every city in the northeast represents america. When people travel here from other countries. The first place they go is either boston or NYC. Then they work their way down through philadelphia and then Baltimore and then DC. Atlanta and many of the southern cities mentioned are so much more a suburban sprawl they really done give an image of america. Because the past still is part of today so even if the city made america it can still define america as well
No they don't. It depends what part of the world they're from, and which country is geographically closer to which American city.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My list:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington, DC
Philadelphia/Boston (tie).
My point is.Mr.Scholar.Miami in terms of contribution to the U.S. economy or culture,was NO where until the 1950s'.ANd notice I said Miami was not even a CITY.A settlement is NOT a city.Ft.Dallas is not MIAMI!

You talk much but you don't read before you say crap thats not accurate.Philadelphia is 1tenth of a point more market share in international visitors than Atlanta.The drop between Boston and Philly is BIG.Bostons Market share is around 4.8% and Philly is 2.5%.
These cities are listed prior to Philly:
San Francisco,Miami,Orlando,Boston,Chicago,Los Angeles,Las Vegas,San Diego and Honolulu.Philly s 12th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City