Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
LOL,

so You think someone else from somewhere else would of jumped out there and took it? maybe they would of ... who know's
haha dude i was being sarcastic. don't you get what i'm saying?

THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED!

it's not like people from ny went to la and were like holding classes on how to make hip hop. haha

people in la heard hip hop and made it their own. and then they said their hip hop was better.

meanwhile people in philly made hip hop and made their own take on it, same in chicago, atl, houston, etc, etc, until today where people have their own styles of hip hop in like south korea and paris and brazil. basically everywhere in the globe

i don't get how you think music works?

it's not like other cities had to ask nyc if they could play hip hop just cause they played it first. haha does everyone who plays rock have to ask the rolling stones for permission? haha did the rolling stones have to go to new orleans and ask the blues artists down there if they could make their own take on the blues?

people like music it, they play it, it evolves. it's organic. no one controls it.

if everyone liked gogo they'd be playing it everywhere and each area would have it's own distinct style of gogo.

haha i feel like i keep saying this and y'all just aren't getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
that still doesn't change the fact that the main reason gogo isn't all over, is because people from other places just don't really like it that much.

it's not like dc stopped other places from making their gogo music. it's not like they could if they wanted to.

i could start a gogo band tomorrow and there's nothing anyone in dc could do about it.

again i'm not trying to discredit gogo. but to discredit hip hop cause it's popular and come at ny because they "let it go" is absurd.
Ok....how can I explain this too you......

People in DC don't like GoGo for the beat and music...we feel GoGo for the roots and connection it has to our city. It's a language if you will. We don't even need to have the beat for people to go crazy. We can clap our hands and the feeling comes from within. GoGo in DC has no equivalent anywhere. When you describe culture in cities, can you name any city that has something that dictates everything about that place? If so, name it. GoGo is DC. Period! How do you steal an duplicate an identity of a city?

Without a DC cultural base, anybody trying to play GoGo doesn't get it. Believe me, I have heard GoGo bands in many cities trying to duplicate it and they suck. They just don't have the heart beat. Rap doesn't take much to copy and make your own. You don't need anything to do it. You can't just duplicate GoGo. I mean for one, a GoGo band uses about double the instruments of a regular band. The arrangement is probably the real reason it can't be duplicated. It's like speaking a different language.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ok....how can I explain this too you......

People in DC don't like GoGo for the beat and music...we feel GoGo for the roots and connection it has to our city. It's a language if you will. We don't even need to have the beat for people to go crazy. We can clap our hands and the feeling comes from within. GoGo in DC has no equivalent anywhere. When you describe culture in cities, can you name any city that has something that dictates everything about that place? If so, name it. GoGo is DC. Period! How do you steal an duplicate an identity of a city?

Without a DC cultural base, anybody trying to play GoGo doesn't get it. Believe me, I have heard GoGo bands in many cities trying to duplicate it and they suck. They just don't have the heart beat. Rap doesn't take much to copy and make your own. You don't need anything to do it. You can't just duplicate GoGo. I mean for one, a GoGo band uses about double the instruments of a regular band. The arrangement is probably the real reason it can't be duplicated. It's like speaking a different language.
ok how can i explain this to you.

man people in new york feel the same way about hip hop.

i've heard dudes from ny say you can't rap if you ain't from new york, hip hop is about ny.

but people in other places hear hip hop. and they like it. and they make it. people in la started making hip hop after ny but they ain't from ny. so the hip hop they make sounds different. and people from nyc said "this is garbage, this is trash, this ain't hip hop" and people from la were like "this is hip hop, improved, this is better, this is real"

people in texas love screw and they think no other hip hip comes close. i think it's garbage.

but that's what i'm talking about.

hip hop was powerful and ground breaking so people from all over took it and did their own thing with it.

gogo in dc ain't special. each region has it's own musical flavor and roots.

you're looking at the world through a mirror and never seeing anything but dc.

you say gogo other places sucks, but that's cause you're not from those places. if you were from there then maybe you'd understand where they were coming from and why gogo there sounds like it does.

it's hard to get examples of gogo in other places though because no one really likes it except people from dc

you can hear examples of hip hop from all over the world because it's liked all over the world

Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
ok how can i explain this to you.

man people in new york feel the same way about hip hop.

i've heard dudes from ny say you can't rap if you ain't from new york, hip hop is about ny.

but people in other places hear hip hop. and they like it. and they make it. people in la started making hip hop after ny but they ain't from ny. so the hip hop they make sounds different. and people from nyc said "this is garbage, this is trash, this ain't hip hop" and people from la were like "this is hip hop, improved, this is better, this is real"

people in texas love screw and they think no other hip hip comes close. i think it's garbage.

but that's what i'm talking about.

hip hop was powerful and ground breaking so people from all over took it and did their own thing with it.

gogo in dc ain't special. each region has it's own musical flavor and roots.

you're looking at the world through a mirror and never seeing anything but dc.

you say gogo other places sucks, but that's cause you're not from those places. if you were from there then maybe you'd understand where they were coming from and why gogo there sounds like it does.

it's hard to get examples of gogo in other places though because no one really likes it except people from dc

you can hear examples of hip hop from all over the world because it's liked all over the world
Rap is spoken word. You can't compare rap to GoGo. You can compare rap beats to GoGo but not rap itself. That is what you aren't getting. The U.S. shares different forms of one thing being Hip Hop. At the end of the day, it's the same being Hip Hop which doesn't make any of you unique. Reggae is a genre. Hip Hop is a genre. Country is a genre. Jazz is a genre. GoGo is a genre. Now...again...what city has their own genre like DC in the U.S.? Answer: nobody

Also, many people from other cities come to DC and say they like GoGo from our bands but not back where they live. It can't be duplicated. It's not like rap. You can't just do it with your own flavor. You have to learn how to be us or it doesn't work. Good luck learning how to be like us. The first major hurdle is the call and response which is essential in GoGo music.

A..waa...waa...waa...waa...waa...where yall from

insert neighborhood here:

A..waa...waa...waa...waa...waa...where yall from

insert neighborhood here:

There are just things that not only the bands don't get outside DC...the audience doesn't know what to do which is 75% of what makes GoGo work. It's a "live" experience and without audience participation...it will fail miserably. There are just so many variables.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-03-2011 at 02:07 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Not all DC AAs like gogo music. Being african american and growing up in DC me and my friends never liked gogo music. And yes I went to DC and Prince George's County public schools and Howard University. When I lived in DC, and I hate to say this but gogo was always associated with ghetto; 'ghetto music, ghetto people and ghetto clubs'. I just hate that same old sound. It all sounds the same.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Rap is spoken word. You can't compare rap to GoGo. You can compare rap beats to GoGo but not rap itself. That is what you aren't getting. The U.S. shares different forms of one thing being Hip Hop. At the end of the day, it's the same being Hip Hop which doesn't make any of you unique. Reggae is a genre. Hip Hop is a genre. Country is a genre. Jazz is a genre. GoGo is a genre. Now...again...what city has their own genre like DC in the U.S.? Answer: nobody
dude funk is a genre. gogo is a type of funk.

hip hop is a genre. g funk is a type of hip hop. screw is a type of hip hop.

but fine if you want to call gogo a genre. then fine there are plenty of cities that have their own genre

if gogo is a genre then philaelphia soul is a genre and it is certainly original to philly

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Not all DC AAs like gogo music. Being african american and growing up in DC me and my friends never liked gogo music. And yes I went to DC and Prince George's County public schools and Howard University. When I lived in DC, and I hate to say this but gogo was always associated with ghetto; 'ghetto music, ghetto people and ghetto clubs'. I just hate that same old sound. It all sounds the same.
LOL...not all of anything will ever be true 100% true. There isn't one thing in this world where everybody falls under the general norm. You however, are in the minority in DC. There is always a minority. And the "ghetto" comment already wrote a whole book in my mind on your friends circle, style, and up bringing. It's obvious what places you frequent. Tell Carlton I said hi.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:

but fine if you want to call gogo a genre. then fine there are plenty of cities that have their own genre

if gogo is a genre then philaelphia soul is a genre and it is certainly original to philly
Ummmm...no

GoGo is not funk. GoGo borrows from funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, and Rock but GoGo is GoGo. Are you serious?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
I can't believe you guys are still talking about gogo five pages later haha.... My perspective as a (nonblack) college kid who goes to DC a good amount is that gogo isn't even on the radar. The only thing I know about gogo is that it inspired some of Wale's beats. I guess there's a disconnect between races in this city more than most others.

Also, someone a couple posts back said they went to school down south and eventually "let people from Philly, Jersey, NY, etc IN." I'm just guessing but I feel like it was the other way around - DC kids realized they couldn't be so provincial anymore and had to branch out. It's pretty sad and ignorant that you consider entire populations of people from other cities to be "bammas."

Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, neosoul is from Philly and everyone does it so it's not Philly's anymore. On to the next one. If you want to make it your own, don't put it on front street nationwide for everyone to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City