U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM

26 posts, read 35,106 times

Advertisements

I've heard both of these cities are good for getting more experience in the acting world, before heading out to the big cities like NYC or LA. And I know they would be cheaper to live in right now. But how is the theatre/film scene in these cities? And which has better public transportation? Anything else you can tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM

3,219 posts, read 3,128,413 times
Atlanta has the better PT with MARTA, and has been doing a lot more film lately. I'd go with Atlanta for both but if you're open to other parts of Texas, I've heard Houston is a mecca for theater.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 AM

I've been to Houston, I don't like it there.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,128,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
I've been to Houston, I don't like it there.
Very understandable, perhaps if I knew what factors you didn't like about it, then I'd know if Austin has more of what you're looking for or Atlanta?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Well I'm afraid my reasoning doesn't make much sense. I was only there for a short time. 2 days. But I found the majority of the city to be much too busy for my taste. However, I've been to other busy cities, like NYC, and I love it there.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM

511 posts, read 774,445 times
Quote:
well i'm afraid my reasoning doesn't make much sense. I was only there for a short time. 2 days. but i found the majority of the city to be much too busy for my taste. However, i've been to other busy cities, like nyc, and i love it there.
huh??

Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM

2,723 posts, read 3,535,295 times
Quote:
Well I'm afraid my reasoning doesn't make much sense. I was only there for a short time. 2 days. But I found the majority of the city to be much too busy for my taste. However, I've been to other busy cities, like NYC, and I love it there.
Forgive me for agreeing with you. Houston too busy but New York not? I can't imagine what you would think of Atlanta then. One things for sure. It's a whole lot closer to Houston in busyness than to New York.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
I've heard both of these cities are good for getting more experience in the acting world, before heading out to the big cities like NYC or LA. And I know they would be cheaper to live in right now. But how is the theatre/film scene in these cities? And which has better public transportation? Anything else you can tell me.
Atlanta already has a very impressive film and tv industry. I also prefer Atlanta as a place to live because I feel it has more of the amenities that I like such as a wide diversity of entertainment options and tons of things to do-Austin has that too of course, but I like Atlanta's scene more.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,481,137 times
I've got a friend in Atlanta who tried hard to be an actress and it didn't really work out. She did get some paying theater gigs (which is saying something in that field), but over time it just wore on her and she mostly gave up. I don't imagine in Austin the market is that much better. But I'm sure you're aware what a difficult industry it is to get into.

She was exclusively into theater, so you might have more luck if looking for movies as well. There seems to be a good bit of film production here (it actually disrupts my life from time to time), and every so often I hear about casting even though I don't remotely seek out that sort of thing.

Good luck

Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 PM

2,723 posts, read 3,535,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I've got a friend in Atlanta who tried hard to be an actress and it didn't really work out. She did get some paying theater gigs (which is saying something in that field), but over time it just wore on her and she mostly gave up. I don't imagine in Austin the market is that much better. But I'm sure you're aware what a difficult industry it is to get into.

She was exclusively into theater, so you might have more luck if looking for movies as well. There seems to be a good bit of film production here (it actually disrupts my life from time to time), and every so often I hear about casting even though I don't remotely seek out that sort of thing.

Good luck
You realize ofcourse there are hundreds if not thousands of people in Hollywood and New York City also that "tried hard to be an actor or actress and it didn't really work out" I think that kinda just comes with the territory in that business sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City