Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times

Advertisements

I think New York is the most sophisticated city in the traditional sense of the word, followed by San Francisco. I think Washington and Boston carry a sense of sophistication due to their respective strongholds on politics and education.

Chicago is very sophisticated, but in a more approachable way. It has all of the amenities and cultural offerings you'd find in NY or SF, but the city as a whole carries a down-to-earth vibe that isn't noticeably sophisticated. This is by no means a knock to Chicago, as I think it's unpretentious nature while being a world-class city is one of the things that makes Chicago such an attractive place to begin with.

I think Los Angeles and Philadelphia have a certain level of sophistication, but I think both cities need to become more refined to really be thought of as sophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Haha, get mad...
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not mad. I'm just making an observation. I don't like either political party, but I can recognize that both parties have their fair share of complete fools and brilliant minds alike. To assume that one does and one doesn't is, well, unsophisticated. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not mad. I'm just making an observation. I don't like either political party, but I can recognize that both parties have their fair share of complete fools and brilliant minds alike. To assume that one does and one doesn't is, well, unsophisticated. That's all I'm saying.
And I was just bombing another stupid thread on this idiotic topic regarding childish notions of high society.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
NYC, SF, Boston, DC

this, and in that order. I think LA/Chicago/Philly have those amenities but I don't get that sophisticated feel there amongst the populous and encompassing attractions, nor do I think that type of culture is as important there, at their core they are more working class cities while the other are definitely white collar. While LA has that materialistic scene it portrays (as does Miami), I certainly wouldn't call it sophisticated. Spend some time in each of the cities, do people watching, talk to people, live there, buy the local events papers, see what they eat, see how they dress, see what is important to them... I think it is kind of easy to peg if you are looking for it. Of course this can come off as pretentious as a way to pass it off, and some people undoubtably are there, but many others surely are the real deal. Seattle to a lesser degree is probably in the running for the 5th spot as well with any of the other 3 I just mentioned.

Last edited by grapico; 04-09-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
this, and in that order. I think LA/Chicago/Philly have those amenities but I don't get that sophisticated feel there amongst the populous and encompassing attractions, nor do I think that type of culture is as important there, at their core they are more working class cities while the other are definitely white collar. While LA has that materialistic scene it portrays (as does Miami), I certainly wouldn't call it sophisticated. Spend some time in each of the cities, do people watching, talk to people, live there, buy the local events papers, see what they eat, see how they dress, see what is important to them... I think it is kind of easy to peg if you are looking for it. Of course this can come off as pretentious as a way to pass it off, and some people undoubtably are there, but many others surely are the real deal. Seattle to a lesser degree is probably in the running for the 5th spot as well with any of the other 3 I just mentioned.
Good post. Most posts where you've replied when it sounded like I was putting down Chicago, was simply reflecting what you explained here.

I guess we agree on more than we realize!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I choose a few reps from each major region. They are...

Cascadia (PNW)
Seattle
Portland

Northeast
New York
Boston
D.C.
Philly

California

Los Angeles
San Fran
San Diego
Sacramento

South/Gulf
Houston
New Orleans
Miami
Atlanta

Great Lakes
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Minneapolis

MidWest...
Omaha
Lincoln
St. Louis
I disagree with many of your choices. For one, Kansas City is more sophisticated than Omaha, Lincoln, and St Louis for that region. I also would not consider Detroit and Cleveland sophisticated. Cincinnati would be much moreso. Lastly, New Orleans is hardly sophisticated. A city that revolves around Mardi Gras and puking in the streets is not sophisticated. Here are my choices.

Cascadia (PNW)
Seattle
Portland

Northeast
New York
Boston
D.C.
Philly

California

San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

South/Gulf
Houston
Dallas
Miami
Atlanta

Midwest
Chicago
Minneapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville

Great Plains...
Kansas City
Omaha
Denver

Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
Sorry, as absurd as krudmonk's post seems to be to you, republicans do indeed appear to be less sophisticated. Thanks to those tea party racist signs and lesser educated republicans like sarah palin and joe the plumber (to name a couple) I see on TV.
I'm not very political but that's just my perception and I'm sure the perception of many others.
True! Glen Beck, Michele Bachmann, Haley Barbour, Mike Huckabee, Sean Hannity, Mitch McConnell, the chick who ran for senate in DE, the goomba who ran for governor of NY, none of these people say sophistication to me in the least!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I live in Chicago and love it, but I wouldn't put it in the top 5 probably.

NYC, SF, DC, Boston...Seattle has a sophistacted air to it.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:01 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
True! Glen Beck, Michele Bachmann, Haley Barbour, Mike Huckabee, Sean Hannity, Mitch McConnell, the chick who ran for senate in DE, the goomba who ran for governor of NY, none of these people say sophistication to me in the least!
Likewise Michael Moore, Dan Rather, Howard Dean, Nancy "We'd better pass this bill so we can see what's in it..." Pelosi, Joe "F-Bomb" Biden, John Edwards, and others of the same ilk are solid examples of those on the left who are the antithesis of sophistication. (With respect to the fact that we've made no attempt on this thread to devise a working criteria or definition of sophistication.) Both sides can sit back and take pot-shots at the other until they are blue in the face. It has been happening in Washington for years now, and goes a long way to explain why American politics is a wasteland these days. Both sides seem to have forgotten that they work for "We the people..."

Okay. Rant over. I am stepping down from my soapbox. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM

38 posts, read 53,847 times
I'm a homer but the answer is New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City