Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times

Advertisements

New Orleans and Memphis have streetcars. That's not the same as light rail. Light rail (like St. Louis' Metro) runs on its own tracks not shared with street traffic, travels at higher speeds, and is designed to move large numbers of people like commuter rail.

New Orleans definitely punches above its weight, but I think St. Louis wins in a lot of categories just because it's so much bigger than the other two. Memphis is the real underdog here. St. Louis' riverfront sucks, though. Memphis wins there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:55 PM

428 posts, read 848,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Seems like someone is from Memphis
I gave my fair opinion. New Orleans got five of the categories and Memphis 7.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans and Memphis have light rail.

Architecture: New Orleans
Attractions: New Orleans
Culture: New Orleans
Economy: New Orleans/St Louis
Education: St. Louis/New Orleans
Family: ?
Food: New Orleans
History: New Orleans but all are interesting
Nightlife: New Orleans
Riverfront: IDK, St. Louis?
Scenery: St. Louis
Shopping: Probably a tie
Transit: New Orleans/St. Louis slightly better
Weather: St. Louis
No, they don't...

Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
New Orleans and Memphis have streetcars. That's not the same as light rail. Light rail (like St. Louis' Metro) runs on its own tracks not shared with street traffic, travels at higher speeds, and is designed to move large numbers of people like commuter rail.
Light rail in St Louis doesn't interact with the pedestrians at street level like street cars do where you can just hop on and off. The oldest system in the world is in New Orleans despite not having a lot of lines to the suburbs. St Louis lacks this kind of experience.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:12 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Light rail in St Louis doesn't interact with the pedestrians at street level like street cars do where you can just hop on and off. The oldest system in the world is in New Orleans despite not having a lot of lines to the suburbs. St Louis lacks this kind of experience.
Not for long, St. Louis is about to break ground on a new streetcar very soon and there is another one in planning.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:32 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Architecture: New Orleans - St.Louis - Memphis
Culture: New Orleans - Memphis - St.Louis
Economy: St. Louis - Memphis - New Orleans
History: New Orleans - Memphis - St.Louis
Weather: Memphis - New Orleans - St.Louis

Old 11-16-2013, 03:10 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post

New Orleans definitely punches above its weight, but I think St. Louis wins in a lot of categories just because it's so much bigger than the other two. Memphis is the real underdog here. St. Louis' riverfront sucks, though. Memphis wins there.
I was under the impression that anything that wasn't heavy rail, was considered light rail. To be clear, much of New Orleans' streetcars run at grade in the neutral ground (median). 90% of St. Charles line runs on it's own track, the Canal line, and riverfront lines also run on their own tracks. I'd rather New Orleans' setup if I had to take one or the other, but I wish the suburbs had service like in STL.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Architecture - STL
Culture - NO
Education - STL & NO
Food - NO
History - NO
Nightlife - NO
Transit - STL
Weather - MEM

I actually have a lot of love for Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City