Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:52 PM

425 posts, read 370,914 times

Advertisements

They would probably take a Boston, NYC or Philly winter to a Seattle winter though, which is doubly hilarious.

Theyre all a combination of more snow, Noreasters, windier, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
I would take any winter in any part of the country (Upstate NY and Minnesota included) over a Seattle winter.

The fact that Seattle is leading the poll, tells me that people are overrating a Chicago winter, to the almost appalling point of taking 3-4 months of drizzle and rain to it. Its hilarious.
Seattle is leading the poll because despite it being winter, Seattleites can still do this:

Notice how green the grass is and look, daffodills!!! This pic was taken on Jan 19th.

And a little rain doesn't keep people in.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Seattle is leading the poll because despite it being winter, Seattleites can still do this:

Notice how green the grass is and look, daffodills!!! This pic was taken on Jan 19th.

I definitely enjoy the climate of Seattle, but one thing that people constantly complain about is rain and gloom. While Seattle receives roughly the same amount of rain during the year it is much more constant than Chicago's and is much gloomier.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
I would take any winter in any part of the country (Upstate NY and Minnesota included) over a Seattle winter.

The fact that Seattle is leading the poll, tells me that people are overrating a Chicago winter, to the almost appalling point of taking 3-4 months of drizzle and rain to it. Its hilarious.
I tend to agree, but I know that people generally overhype and/or fear things that they do not know/understand or have not experienced. So a winter with snow and ice and sub-freezing temps probably sounds very scary to somebody who's never experienced it. Whereas drizzle and 40's or 50's doesn't scare anyone, but doesn't excite anyone either.

I tend to feel the way you do too, but I don't think we're the typical C-D poster either.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

It's busy in Chicago during winter as well...especially downtown, where people still have to walk to work and Michigan Ave (aka "The Miracle Mile") is JUMPING with shoppers, especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The foot traffic in Chicago during this period would dwarf anything in Seattle, and that's not a slight to Seattle!

Chicago just isn't that weather-averse to most people (Midwesterners anyways), and that's the point.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's busy in Chicago during winter as well...especially downtown, where people still have to walk to work and Michigan Ave (aka "The Miracle Mile") is JUMPING with shoppers, especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The foot traffic in Chicago during this period would dwarf anything in Seattle, and that's not a slight to Seattle!

Chicago just isn't that weather-averse to most people (Midwesterners anyways), and that's the point.
I know Chicago is busy in the winter. I'm not denying that. I would be out too if I lived there too. I'd adjust somehow. The original question was, which climate do you prefer. I said Seattle and gave reasons why.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM

456 posts, read 774,092 times
Most of my family lives in Chicago and Milwaukee while we're in Seattle. So we go back and forth between the two cities all the time. Overall, the winter's for us are mostly a wash. Although there have been several visits in December when my children literally broke into tears and ran back inside the house due to the wind-chill. For me its the summer's that make Seattle preferable. We can live without A/C and just open the windows for the most part here which I really like. In my very scientific weekly weather comparison conversations with my Mom, I'd say we have the edge about 60% of the time.

Ben

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I tend to agree, but I know that people generally overhype and/or fear things that they do not know/understand or have not experienced. So a winter with snow and ice and sub-freezing temps probably sounds very scary to somebody who's never experienced it. Whereas drizzle and 40's or 50's doesn't scare anyone, but doesn't excite anyone either.

I tend to feel the way you do too, but I don't think we're the typical C-D poster either.
I have lived in both climates, and Seattle's winters are far, far better than Chicago's (and that of the entire upper Midwest). For one thing it's not as cold, and for another the landscape stays green- that is so much better than the dead brown looking landscape back in the Midwest throughout the winter, and of course is better than dealing with snow and ice. I spent most of my life back there, have only lived in Seattle for 3 years but I am thankful every day throughout the winters that I am here instead of back there. That dead brown landscape on a winter day- even if it is sunny- is more depressing than the clouds or drizzle we deal with here.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I have lived in both climates, and Seattle's winters are far, far better than Chicago's (and that of the entire upper Midwest). For one thing it's not as cold, and for another the landscape stays green- that is so much better than the dead brown looking landscape back in the Midwest throughout the winter, and of course is better than dealing with snow and ice. I spent most of my life back there, have only lived in Seattle for 3 years but I am thankful every day throughout the winters that I am here instead of back there. That dead brown landscape on a winter day- even if it is sunny- is more depressing than the clouds or drizzle we deal with here.
Well, when the white stuff isn't on the ground the grass looks pretty green around me. This isn't California.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,181 times
Quote:

Upstate NY winters are gloomier and just as overcast as Seattle winters. Buffalo actually has more cloudy and overcast days than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City