Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times

Advertisements

Sorry if my last comment came out rudish. LOL

Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
How so? I'm looking at the total number of buildings over 400 feet tall in the World Almanac.
Check out Commercial Real Estate Information and Construction Data / Emporis.com for facts. I've always looked in the World Almanac as well, but it's not really very accurate on the skyscraper pages. They miss a lot, since there's so much info in the book, you can't have one working on that section constantly.

Emporis specializes in skyscrapers, and has a much more complete listing.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Check out Commercial Real Estate Information and Construction Data / Emporis.com for facts. I've always looked in the World Almanac as well, but it's not really very accurate on the skyscraper pages. They miss a lot, since there's so much info in the book, you can't have one working on that section constantly.

Emporis specializes in skyscrapers, and has a much more complete listing.
Ya I used emporis on my research earlier, it's a shame they make you pay for everything, lol.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Let me try to better put things into perspective for you here, and pardon me if I repeat myself. I can't always remember what I said on which particular thread, and it is impossible to know who actually read it, let alone whether they actually got what I was saying or not.

Okay, I know I've already said I've studied skyscraper architecture and history as a hobby for over 30 years. For me to be considered young, you would have to almost be an octagenarian.

Now I did say I've lived under the skylines of San Francisco and Los Angeles, which is where I watched a lot of skyscrapers go up in the 70s and how I became interested in skyscraper architecture. Both San Francisco and Los Angeles had a boom during the 70s. That boom gave Los Angeles the tallest building west of Chicago and the boom in San Francisco gave it the third biggest skyline in the country.

Houston had a boom in the 80s which then gave it the third biggest skyline in the country. Atlanta, and again Los Angeles, had a boom in the late 80s and early 90s, but it wasn't enough to take away Houston's third place ranking.

Now I'm going say, based on my 30 plus years of studying this type of thing, what happened in all those cities is nothing compared to what just happened here in Miami. I have some idea of what is a normal pace of development from all my experience, and what has happened here in Miami is absolutely extraordinary. For us to have gone from the skyline we had in the 90s, as evidenced by that pic I posted from my South Beach apartment in 1998, is incredible. For us now to be ranked third by statisticians is phenomenal. It is historic! New York was the skyscraper capital for many years. Chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper. Now, after blasting its way into third in 2000s, from the skyline Miami had in the 1990s, Miami has written its own page in skyscraper history. You can slice it and dice it any way you want, but this is a statistical fact.
It's nothing historic and definatly not something that will be remembered forever by the world. Houston was only ranked third based on heigh,not actually buildings within the limits. LA has way more buildings than Houston(Probably Miami too), but Houston has more taller buildings over a certain height.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
You yourself argue the height of the building shouldn't be used as much if im not mistaken, have you ever been to Milwaukee?? It is a beautiful skyline but due to a Gentelmans agreement way back when most people with the exception of the US Bank Center limit there buildings height. Fact is the places you mentioned (with the exception of MIA) are just a line of condo developments going right along the water. If I recall the purpose of this thread was to figure out how close MIA is to Chicago, and if not name some alternatives.

Flickr Photo Download: Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/schilder/2535798070/sizes/l/ - broken link)
1.) "You yourself argue the height of the building shouldn't be used as much if im not mistaken"

No, I didn't say that. I'm only about facts and statistics in this regard.

2.) "It is a beautiful skyline"

That is strictly a matter of opinion.

3.) "Fact is the places you mentioned (with the exception of MIA) are just a line of condo developments going right along the water."

Yes, I know they are a line of condos along the water because I see them on almost a weekly basis. The fact is, statistically, they outdo Milwaukee in terms of the heights of all the buildings. Now, if you want to say my statement is false about them crushing Milwaukee because you don't think that looks as pretty as Milwaukee, you are saying something is false based on your opinion and not facts.

4.) "If I recall the purpose of this thread was to figure out how close MIA is to Chicago, and if not name some alternatives."

It is because you brought Milwaukee into the mix saying that is what the Miami skyline is best compared with, and I said all three Miami-Dade County skylines crush Milwaukee (statistically). That is how we got here.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
1.) "You yourself argue the height of the building shouldn't be used as much if im not mistaken"

No, I didn't say that. I'm only about facts and statistics in this regard.

2.) "It is a beautiful skyline"

That is strictly a matter of opinion.

3.) "Fact is the places you mentioned (with the exception of MIA) are just a line of condo developments going right along the water."

Yes, I know they are a line of condos along the water because I see them on almost a weekly basis. The fact is, statistically, they outdo Milwaukee in terms of the heights of all the buildings. Now, if you want to say my statement is false about them crushing Milwaukee because you don't think that looks as pretty as Milwaukee, you are saying something is false based on your opinion and not facts.

4.) "If I recall the purpose of this thread was to figure out how close MIA is to Chicago, and if not name some alternatives."

It is because you brought Milwaukee into the mix saying that is what the Miami skyline is best compared with, and I said all three Miami-Dade County skylines crush Milwaukee (statistically). That is how we got here.

Come on your going to argue with me that a place with 47 High-rise Buildings Crushes a city with 110.

Height DOES NOT determine the vlue of the skyline.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's nothing historic and definatly not something that will be remembered forever by the world. Houston was only ranked third based on heigh,not actually buildings within the limits. LA has way more buildings than Houston(Probably Miami too), but Houston has more taller buildings over a certain height.
1.) "It's nothing historic and definatly not something that will be remembered forever by the world."

Here, I've already said what observations my statements are based on. Whether it's something that definitely will not be remembered forever by the world remains to be seen, particularly since we are not yet done here.

2.) "Houston was only ranked third based on heigh,not actually buildings within the limits. LA has way more buildings than Houston(Probably Miami too), but Houston has more taller buildings over a certain height."

What are you sources and what are your height criteria among others? For instance, both Houston and Los Angeles. being as huge in area as they are, have more than one skyline, which by some sources (particularly one of mine) wouldn't be counted as one skyline because the buildings are not continuous and are scattered throughout the city. They would count the largest skyline.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Come on your going to argue with me that a place with 47 High-rise Buildings Crushes a city with 110.

Height DOES NOT determine the vlue of the skyline.
It all depends on how tall a building you personally think makes a skyline as far as where you want to start counting. I've already outlined where my sources start as far as what statisticians count as a skyline.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; 06-16-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Skyscraper History

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's nothing historic and definatly not something that will be remembered forever by the world.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done -- I don't know when that will be -- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.''
Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05

Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Well lets get off Milwaukee and back to Chicago, I truley Belive Chicago beats out Miami, at his time it's not the best comparison.

Watch this:
Documentary - The Chicago Spire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City