Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

I've never liked Miami's skyline,the buildings do all look alike,sorta like Hawaii or the Bahamas, its like every building is shaped the same with balconys,I understand its on the beach and all but it just dosent impress me at all.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I've never liked Miami's skyline,the buildings do all look alike,sorta like Hawaii or the Bahamas, its like every building is shaped the same with balconys,I understand its on the beach and all but it just dosent impress me at all.
The City of Miami is not on the beach. The City of Miami Beach is on The Beach. And naturally our buildings with balconies look like Hawaii or the Bahamas (only much taller) because Miami is a subtropical resort city. That's just the nature of the beast down here whether or not anybody likes it or if it impresses anybody. To each his own. It is only because of recent advances in skyscraper technology (in the past 20 years) that we can have tall buildings with balconies as high up as we have them here in Miami.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
The City of Miami is not on the beach. The City of Miami Beach is on The Beach. And naturally our buildings with balconies look like Hawaii or the Bahamas (only much taller) because Miami is a subtropical resort city. That's just the nature of the beast down here whether or not anybody likes it or if it impresses anybody. To each his own. It is only because of recent advances in skyscraper technology (in the past 20 years) that we can have tall buildings with balconies as high up as we have them here in Miami.
In most people's minds, Miami and Miami beach are the same thing

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Thumbs up Miami and Miami Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
In most people's minds, Miami and Miami beach are the same thing
I know! That is why I'm setting the record straight! Miami is on the mainland, while Miami Beach is on a barrier island along with the cities of Surfside and Bal Harbour. South Beach is the southern one-third of Miami Beach (33139), with Mid-Beach (33140) and North Beach (33141) comprising the other two-thirds.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Thumbs up Miami and Miami Beach

The last pic on this link features a high-altitude shot of Miami and the beaches with Downton Miami and South Beach in the lower half of the photograph well-delineated by their density. This is one of the pics that reminds me most of Chicago because of the way Downtown Miami is spread in linear fashion along Biscayne Bay.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=18629&page=20

Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Downtown Miami and South Beach

This is the high-altitude shot I mentioned with Downtown Miami and South Beach well-delineated by their density. I also think it is one of the pics most reminiscent of Chicago.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
This is the high-altitude shot I mentioned with Downtown Miami and South Beach well-delineated by their density. I also think it is one of the pics most reminiscent of Chicago.
The cays and little keys look quite cool in this pic...Im a former chicagoan, so, yes, it looks quite like it......being right on the water helps the similarity as well...I noticed that similarity when I was at pro player stadium for the cubs/marlins NLCS in 2003..I also thought the high rises looked like lake shore drive high rises....so there are TWO similarities with Chicago.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 PM

145 posts, read 508,881 times
Miami wins easily IMO...such beauty with the ocean

Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 AM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Um, no. They dont look similar whatsoever. Miami's skyline, even with the waterfront, is about as exciting as watching a documentary on the molecular structure of snails.
A "skyline" is irrelevant. What matters is what you do in that skyline. Obviously Miami has a lot more entertainment year round then Chicago.
Not trying to hate. But pretty much the truth though

Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
A "skyline" is irrelevant. What matters is what you do in that skyline. Obviously Miami has a lot more entertainment year round then Chicago.
Not trying to hate. But pretty much the truth though
are you sure about that? i think chicago is a pretty big entertainment hub. also, miami has some not-so-raging times of the year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City