U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,802,956 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Miami's skyline isn't even n the same league as Chicago's skyline. IMO, Chicago's skyline is second only to New York, here in the US.

Miami's skyline is filled with cheap, cookie-cutter style condo buildings, with few beautiful commercial office skyscrapers. There was a crazy building boom here and the end result is a tall, dense, but fugly skyline, which is fitting for such a generally ugly city.

 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
229 posts, read 962,764 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I greatly appreciate all the pictures you've posted--Miami has a beautiful setting for its skyline. However, I'd suggest that you put the pictures in thumbnails first so unsuspecting browsers won't suddenly find themselves swamped with dozens of huge pictures.
Thanks! These most recent ones were all taken by me! Your suggestion is well taken, but suffice it to say there is method to my madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's a shame that Miami's public transit is like LA's--with such a gorgeous setting, large population density and generally balmy weather, you'd hope it'd really be put to use. I read some posts about how Miami is looking to Chicago's urban model for its future development (hopefully with its own, more modern, el trains)--do you have any links or info on this?
There was a Miami Herald article about that some time last year, but the credit crisis and the implosion of the world's economy has put a damper on everything. We can't really say what all else we might see at this point. I'd say we were lucky to get the skyline that we have today.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
229 posts, read 962,764 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Was it really necessary to revive this thread....
What do you care? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't have to visit this thread if you don't want to.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
229 posts, read 962,764 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Miami's skyline isn't even n the same league as Chicago's skyline.
Who said that it was? It could never be in the same "league" as Chicago unless we move the airport so that taller buildings can be built here, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
IMO, Chicago's skyline is second only to New York, here in the US.
That is not just your opinion. That is actually a statistical fact, but it can be number one in somebody's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Miami's skyline is filled with cheap, cookie-cutter style condo buildings, with few beautiful commercial office skyscrapers. There was a crazy building boom here and the end result is a tall, dense, but fugly skyline, which is fitting for such a generally ugly city.
What can I say? To each his own.
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,802,956 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
Who said that it was? It could never be in the same "league" as Chicago unless we move the airport so that taller buildings can be built here, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.



That is not just your opinion. That is actually a statistical fact, but it can be number one in somebody's opinion.



What can I say? To each his own.
Listen, it's not just about height my good friend. For example, Vancouver has a great skyline, but all of the buildings are < 200m. It is all about quality, at the end of the day...quality and diversity of architecture. Cities with the best skylines on earth have a blend of commercial and residential high rises. Miami does not have that blend...most of the high rises here are residential condos and many of them are ugly as hell and look cheap and tacky, in my opinion.

Miami has gone about expansion ass-backwards. The "boom" here caused dozens of similar-looking residential high rises to be constructed, without any thought given to actually renovating and improving Downtown Miami, to make it a place where people would actually want to live, work and play. I blame third world politics and a complete and utter lack of planning and thought....but then this city has never been renowned for doing anything even remotely "smart", has it?
 
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
229 posts, read 962,764 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Listen, it's not just about height my good friend. For example, Vancouver has a great skyline, but all of the buildings are < 200m. It is all about quality, at the end of the day...quality and diversity of architecture. Cities with the best skylines on earth have a blend of commercial and residential high rises. Miami does not have that blend...most of the high rises here are residential condos and many of them are ugly as hell and look cheap and tacky, in my opinion.
Oh, I hear you alright, and we might be good friends once I got to know you better, but as you said, it's all a matter of opinion. I happen to not like Vancouver's skyline. It is in a great natural setting, I think the best in the northern hemisphere, but to me, it has not a great skyline and I certainly would not trade Miami's skyline for Vancouver's. To me, many of Miami's new high-rises have a futuristic look to them having been built in the 21st century and some even look like giant storybook castles. That is now what sets Miami apart, the fact that most of it's skyline is 21st century architecture. Whether it actually looks 21st century is another story, but the fact that so many of them are residential is the nature of the beast here. Because of its weather and geographic location Miami has long been a winter playground for people from all over the northern hemisphere and where many people from around the world have had a second home. That is what largely determined the characteristics of the new skyline. As you know, we do have three new office towers under construction and probably more will follow as more people move to the city, but Miami is Miami with its own unique characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Miami has gone about expansion ass-backwards. The "boom" here caused dozens of similar-looking residential high rises to be constructed, without any thought given to actually renovating and improving Downtown Miami, to make it a place where people would actually want to live, work and play. I blame third world politics and a complete and utter lack of planning and thought....but then this city has never been renowned for doing anything even remotely "smart", has it?
There has been lots of thought given to renovating and improving Downtown Miami. It's all part of Manny Diaz' masterplan for the city using Chicago as a model as the Miami Herald said last year. Unfortunately, I think much of it won't be realized because we are in the biggest financial crisis since the Empire State Building was under construction. Yes, third world politics did dominate the 90s here in Miami and a lot of improvements simply didn't get done. Metrorail is an embarrassment because very little has been done with it since I moved here in 1984, but I am seeing something today that I never thought I would see here in Miami - a skyline that is being ranked third largest in the nation.
 
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
 
157 posts, read 256,248 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Miami's and Chicago's Skyline look kind of similar with the whole waterfront and the line of skyscrapers....when the new skyscrapers are finished, I they'll look very similar,except the buildings would be structured differently.
The only similarity is that there are buildings next to water. That's about it.
 
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
 
322 posts, read 703,080 times
Reputation: 171
Yes, Miami's skyline is on par with Chic's. Tie.
 
Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
Reputation: 5656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Yes, Miami's skyline is on par with Chic's. Tie.
uh huh, maybe from a few miles off shore... but then as you come in shore from that cruise on lake michigan or the atlantic ocean you start to notice HEIGHT, MASS, and QUALITY

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Miami_Downtown_aerial_Florida_USA.jpg (broken link)

 
Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
229 posts, read 962,764 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
The only similarity is that there are buildings next to water. That's about it.
No, that's not about it! It's the linear configuration of the two skylines, the Chicago/Miami River factor, and the fact that we have an Edgewater district. Approaching downtown Miami from the west, the Miami skyline to me is more reminiscent of Chicago's skyline than any other U.S. skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top