U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 AM

229 posts, read 948,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Chicagos skyline always reminded me of a mini-Miami witth the water and eveyrthing
I think you mean Miami's skyline always reminded you of a mini-Chicago, and that is precisely the point we are making. It will never be as big and as tall as the Chicago skyline, but with skyscrapers spread out in linear fashion along Biscayne Bay between the Rickenbacker Causeway and the Juila Tuttle and with skyscrapers along the Miami River, the Miami skyline is starting to look more like the skyline of Chicago than the skyline of any other city. I'm not saying they are going to look exactly alike, which is not possible. We can't even have buildings in downtown Miami as tall as even the John Hancock building, but the city is shaping up to look like a smaller version of Chicago. Our mayor is even looking to Chicago as a model for the city's growth. It will never look like Chicago, but it is to me, reminiscent of the Chicago skyline.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 AM

334 posts, read 1,162,202 times
Miami

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/Miamimetroarea.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Miamiskyline20080113.png (broken link)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Miamiskyline20070811_cropped.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 AM

334 posts, read 1,162,202 times
Chicago Give Miami about 10 years and it will look like these

Old 05-26-2008, 10:15 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
I think Chicago is very different because of the density and the huge timeline of architectural styles.

kcgridlock

flickr

haha, the city decided to install palm trees during the summer...

Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,485,585 times
Well, those are some pretty neat pictures you found there! I love the palm trees we got here in the summer, they actually don't look that bad! Was that one with all the people in the water really Lake Michigan? Thats really cool, the turquoise water.

As for the skyline, everyone knows that Chicago's is pretty hard to beat, anywhere.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up 3rd and Rising!

In 1998, only four buildings over 500 feet tall. In 2008, the 3rd largest skyline in the U.S. is on the rise in linear fashion along Biscayne Bay and up the Miami River. Not too shabby!

Miami - USA - Page 19 - SkyscraperCity

Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 PM

595 posts, read 2,485,585 times
OK, how do you determine the size of a skyline, anyway? Is it the size of the buildings? I mean, how can someone say that so and so has the largest skyline in the country?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up Yes, 3rd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
OK, how do you determine the size of a skyline, anyway? Is it the size of the buildings? I mean, how can someone say that so and so has the largest skyline in the country?
It is determined by the number of buildings that would be considered tall buildings. Several U.S. cities have buildings that are taller than the tallest that we currently have under construction here in Miami. For instance, Atlanta, Houston, and Los Angeles each has a supertall. But it only takes 3 buildings over 400 feet tall to equal a supertall. Well, Miami has a ton of those. In the 500 feet tall and up range, Houston is still 3rd (at the moment), if that is where you want to start counting. In the 450 feet tall range and up, Miami just edges out Houston. In the 400 feet tall and up range, Miami is 3rd by a wide margin. Wikipedia gets its numbers from the Almanac of Architecture and Design. I get them from the 2008 World Alamanac and Book of Facts as well as Emporis.com and my calculator.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM

763 posts, read 3,170,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I don't think Miami and Chicago's skyline will look anything alike.

In Miami, a lot of the construction is condos, whereas in Chicago, they're corporate buildings.

The Miami buildings tend to be heavy on concrete, whereas in Chicago you see more glass being used.

Miami will never exceed Chicago's height, or concentration, nor will its tacky condos ever compete with Chicago's world class architecture.
Oh please get over yourself. If you knew a little more of skyscraper construction in Miami you'd know there are many office towers being built as well as residential and hotel towers. Chicago is fine and dandy and I respect it because of its history and what not, but Miami and Chicago do have similarities maybe not so much in the architecture, but in the geography, it does, and that can not be denied.

Both have a river, Miami River, Chicago River and both are long and hug the coast. Miami hugs Biscayne Bay, Chicago hugs the Lake. I think that's what the OP was referring to.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
i always felt that miami was more comparable to panama city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or